BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #1
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

cargo net retrofit

Do you think it would be hard to retrofit the cargo net that separates cargo from the passenger area? I would think the hardest part would be adding the holes in the headliner for the net to attach to.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Yep, that's exactly the point. If it's something you just need sometimes, maybe one of those grids to be tightened from the bottom of the trunk up to the top, could make the same service avoiding to modify/drill holes in the car. 'Course these grids require vertical mounting, so you might loose a little of the trunk volume.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2012, 11:04 AM   #3
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

It wouldn't necessarily be difficult, but it would be expensive. The net alone is $700.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #4
bluedevils
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 XDrive 35i

Thanks. I guess I'll learn to live without one.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
mtanasy
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I ordered this with my car, but somewhere between the dealer and the factory it was dropped, although I was still charged for it. The dealership made right by installing it, but it took four trips for them to do it correctly. In the process they got the headliner dirty, ripped the fabric on the A pillar chipped the paint on one of the doors and broke the sunshade. They eventually cleaned everything and fixed what they broke, but I would not recommend you have this installed, even if the cost were reasonable. The headliner has to be completely removed and if they ordered or received the incorrect parts from Germany they have to put it all back and then you have to wait a few weeks for them to try again.

I think I or the dealer had know it would be so much trouble we would have worked out a refund.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

My dealer was warning me of a similar risk. I got a pre-ordered car and I could add few options more, but was really told - NO, if you get this car you're not going to have the cargo net retrofitted.... :-)
Appreciate 0