BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-25-2012, 11:20 AM   #1
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Pedal placement

I wish there was more room down by the gas/brake pedals so the pedals could be placed to the right more. I'm always lifting my right leg from the gas pedal to the brake instead of just pivoting it on the heel. If I try the heel pivot method part of my foot almost catches the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 03:55 AM   #2
clivem2
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I find is hard to blame the X3 as I'm not convinced your heel pivot method is totally safe. If you need to brake extra hard unexpectedly you'll have you foot skewed on the brake pedal and may not be able to use optimal pressure or control.

Edit - I've just analysed what I do and I do heel pivot......so apologies for my above comment. My heel is in line with the brake and I pivot to the accelerator. I have no issues with chunky shoes but I'm fairly typical at UK size 10, US size 11. I can see that bigger shoe sizes could be tight.

Last edited by clivem2; 11-26-2012 at 06:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 04:33 AM   #3
richy577
Pokerboy
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M Sport 2.0D

I have to admit, the pedal placement is the only thing I dont like about the car. I have big feet! and the two pedals are much to close together. There is a massive gap to the left of the two pedals I'm sure they could have designed it slightly better
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 08:49 PM   #4
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivem2 View Post
I find is hard to blame the X3 as I'm not convinced your heel pivot method is totally safe. If you need to brake extra hard unexpectedly you'll have you foot skewed on the brake pedal and may not be able to use optimal pressure or control.

Edit - I've just analysed what I do and I do heel pivot......so apologies for my above comment. My heel is in line with the brake and I pivot to the accelerator. I have no issues with chunky shoes but I'm fairly typical at UK size 10, US size 11. I can see that bigger shoe sizes could be tight.
So today as I was driving I realized I do the heel-toe pivot as well but only for a small amount of time and then my foot needs repositioning. I've tried placing my whole foot on the gas pedal and that would be really comfortable if i never had to use the brake but when I tried to pivot my foot to the brake it was uncomfortable. There is a small raised lip in the all-weather mats just at the base of the gas pedal and that seems to be the culprit in having to re-postioning the foot. I'm thinking of cutting it out but I need to look more closely at it.
Appreciate 0