BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #1
ronzride
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E90

28I or 35i??

I'm buying an X3 but still not sure which model so I have a queston or two for you enthusiasts.Any one with a 28,are you satisfied with the performance or do you wish you opted for the 35?? Since I plan on keeping whichever model I buy for a long period of time(150k-200K mi),well past 4yrs,I'm a bit cautious about the durability of the 35's engine/turbo and any expensive repairs that may be encountered.I understand it costs appox. 4k to replace a turbo!!Any advice would be appreciated...Thnx
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 01:14 PM   #2
loatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronzride View Post
I'm buying an X3 but still not sure which model so I have a queston or two for you enthusiasts.Any one with a 28,are you satisfied with the performance or do you wish you opted for the 35?? Since I plan on keeping whichever model I buy for a long period of time(150k-200K mi),well past 4yrs,I'm a bit cautious about the durability of the 35's engine/turbo and any expensive repairs that may be encountered.I understand it costs appox. 4k to replace a turbo!!Any advice would be appreciated...Thnx
I'm not sure which car you're coming from, but my 28i is faster than my old manual 2004 325ci, so I am more than happy enough with the performance from the 28i. I also didn't purchase this sport activity vehicle for its straight line speed, so the slight speed increase on an already very fast SAV wasn't enough for me to justify the price difference.
      04-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #3
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I currently have a first generation X3 with the 3.0 engine.
I’m quite happy with the performance, have never considered it underpowered and don’t see any need to go up to the 3.5.
If I understand the numbers correctly this version is even a little quicker than the first generation with the 3.0 engine. If true, it has plenty of power for my taste.

Engine size is very subjective. I’m not into stoplight drag racing, but do want the power to accelerate on highway on ramps. Your needs might vary, so try them both out and go with what you like.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 02:42 PM   #4
abailey08
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

You should really test drive both. The difference in acceleration is really noticeable (huge kick in the pants in the 35i). I own the 28i and it is definitely not underpowered. Speeding up on the highway, and passing other cars is cake, but if you like saying "UNNNNGHHH" when you slam on that gas pedal, the 35i does that. The 28i is mostly incites a "this is pleasant, and I accelerate sufficiently" reaction.

By the way, I picked the 28i because I plan to keep it for at least 6 or 7 years, and I'm not at all unhappy. I would have bought the 35i if I were leasing, and would punch the gas every chance that I had.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

The 28i isn't a slow car by any means but usually when someone gets a car with less horsepower they'll always wonder what it would be like if they got the one with more. It basically boils down to what your budget is and how you're going to drive the car. No one ever complains about having too much horsepower but for some drivers that never push their car the extra turbo wouldn't be justified.

If you're worried about turbos you should get the 28i asap because in the next few months or early next year the NA inline 6 in the 28i is being replaced by a turbocharged inline 4.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #6
acer2974
United_States
Rep
Drives: X35i Min Silver/Black Int

If you can afford it, the 35i is a different car. It's not just the extra hp, but the extra torque that occurs at 1200 rpm. The 28 hesitates on acceleration while it tries to decide whether it needs to downshift (or so it seems). The 35i just goes. Originally my wife didn't see the need for the 35i but now you couldn't pry her hands from the steering wheel. I also might add that the 35i gets better highway mileage since the engine is loafing most of the time and doesn't have to downshift as much.
Appreciate 0