BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-15-2017, 05:31 AM   #1
tiesto14
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

X4 M40i : how to open the trunk with battery unplugged and battery location ?

Hello,

I receive in a few days my X4 M40i (in a container), so the battery was unplugged to avoid any incident during transport, now when i receive the car i will have to plug the battery to start it, i have some questions :

- Where is located the battery ? Trunk ?
- As the battery is unplugged, how to open the trunk ?
- What tools do I need to replug the battery ?

Thanks a lot !

Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 10:53 AM   #2
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiesto14 View Post
Hello,

I receive in a few days my X4 M40i (in a container), so the battery was unplugged to avoid any incident during transport, now when i receive the car i will have to plug the battery to start it, i have some questions :

- Where is located the battery ? Trunk ?
- As the battery is unplugged, how to open the trunk ?
- What tools do I need to replug the battery ?

Thanks a lot !

There is a fluorescent (green) plastic emergency release handle located at the trunk door sill. Hopefully, they left the doors unlocked because you need to get in the cabin, fold down the rear seats for access to crawl in to the trunk.

Coming to think of it, they'd better left the doors unlocked or else you won't be able to roll it out of the container. To (legally) transport a personal vehicle in a container, they must disconnect and tape off the battery AND drain the fuel tank AND run the motor until it dies from fuel starvation. Lot's of folks don't bother with the "run until die" requirement, but I would most certainly bring a gallon of gas when you go to pick it up.

The battery is located under the trunk floor. Lift up the hard flooring, turn a couple of plastic fasteners (with a coin) to lift up a soft cover over the battery compartment. So only tool needed is to reconnect battery cables. An adjustable wrench should do the job.
Appreciate 1
FSociety3810.00
      03-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
FSociety
IG @bmwF9xG80
Rep
Drives: G80 M3, X4M, G07 X7m50

Garage List
2023 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 BMW X4MC  [0.00]
16' BMW X4 M40i  [10.00]
06 Cadillac STS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBU View Post
There is a fluorescent (green) plastic emergency release handle located at the trunk door sill. Hopefully, they left the doors unlocked because you need to get in the cabin, fold down the rear seats for access to crawl in to the trunk.

Coming to think of it, they'd better left the doors unlocked or else you won't be able to roll it out of the container. To (legally) transport a personal vehicle in a container, they must disconnect and tape off the battery AND drain the fuel tank AND run the motor until it dies from fuel starvation. Lot's of folks don't bother with the "run until die" requirement, but I would most certainly bring a gallon of gas when you go to pick it up.

The battery is located under the trunk floor. Lift up the hard flooring, turn a couple of plastic fasteners (with a coin) to lift up a soft cover over the battery compartment. So only tool needed is to reconnect battery cables. An adjustable wrench should do the job.
Battery in the trunk floor +1 , very easy !

IG: @bmwF9XG80

Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #4
tiesto14
Rep
Drives: X4 M40i

Thanks for your answers ! have all the info I need now.. Yes of course i'll have to bring a Gal of fuel.

The battery in the trunk is so convenient !!
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2017, 07:05 PM   #5
DBU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4MC - Marina Bay Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiesto14 View Post
Thanks for your answers ! have all the info I need now.. Yes of course i'll have to bring a Gal of fuel.

The battery in the trunk is so convenient !!
Two reasons why BMW puts the battery in the trunk:
- Heat (from the motor) kills batteries or at least shorten their lives.
- Weight balance. All BMW's have that elusive near 50/50 weight balance. Putting a heavy battery in the trunk helps.

Anyways, did you get your car out of that container yet? Pictures!!!!!
Appreciate 0