BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

03-18-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Wrong Tire!

Anyone else have an issue with the TPMS indicating the wrong tire is low? I had a low tire on the passenger rear and it consistently indicated it was the driver rear tire. I'd fill up, reset, tire would loose air, sensor would indicate wrong tire.

Also, is the system triggered by ANY change in pressure (increase or decrease)? If it does go off by an increase, would it indicate it as such or the common "low air" warning?

And lastly, I notice that the tire's graphic goes off in the yellow (the tires are yellow)... if there were a significant drop in pressure (down to nothing) would the tires highlight in red?

I can easily test some of these things out, but I just thought I'd toss it out there to see if anyone else had some input.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
GQX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Well GenX3 welcome to the BMW iDrive universe. I have Michelin run flats and at 5k miles picked up a screw on the rear driver side tire in the middle of the tread. The TPS indicated and displayed the correct tire location for low pressure. Drove the next day to the dealer, they recommended a performance tire shop for the repair, cost was $15 and they reset the TPS at 28psi. At 12k miles I did not check the tire pressure for two months, then took 300 mile trip, parked outside overnight in 48 degree weather, started to drive and the TPS activated and indicated again the same tire for low pressure, took it to the local tire performance shop in that city, just so happens his wife has a 5 series and was well familiar with the tires and BMW’s TPS, the tire pressure was at 28psi, he checked for leaks, none found, re-filled to 35 psi and it has held at every check since then 3k miles. In the April 2012 issue of Bimmer Magazine there is an excellent article on tires. It would certainly help you in your decision in buying tires as indicated in your previous post.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Ha! I literally just finished reading that tire article. It was pretty interesting. Lots of stuff I didn't know about, like the camber for example.

Was a good read.
Dave
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
nyalpine90
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: MY24 G01 AW Msport

Garage List
2016 BMW X4  [9.33]
tpms go on with temp decrease sometime they go on and randomly go off. if the tire has too much air it wont indicate only when its low. if it turns red its malfunction of the sensor, yellow just indicates warning low tire.
Appreciate 0