BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2017, 03:26 PM   #1
raheelc
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 xDrive 28i

F25 X3 Aftermarket Exhaust Tips Availability

Greeting forum members,

relatively new forum member here, been lurking for a while now.

I was cleaning up my 2013 X3 (black) over the weekend when I noticed how dirty the exhaust tips looked. I decided to pull them off and clean them over the weekend. Once I had cleaned them up, I noticed that the metal had developed quite a bit of pitting/discoloration from the extensive carbon build up. Needless to say, I decided the best course of action would be to just buy new tips.

Do any forum members have any suggestions on aftermarket exhaust tips for our F25 X3's? I'm not looking for any weld-on exhaust tips, only the clamp style, or the similar stock BMW internal-clip style tips. I know the stock BMW ones are available, just thought I'd see if there is a nice aftermarket option that would look good on our vehicles before picking up the stock ones.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #2
hoho_leung
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X3

So many available on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 05:39 PM   #3
alpwhite46
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i Mpkg

Quote:
Originally Posted by raheelc View Post
Greeting forum members,

I was cleaning up my 2013 X3 (black) over the weekend when I noticed how dirty the exhaust tips looked. I decided to pull them off and clean them over the weekend. Once I had cleaned them up, I noticed that the metal had developed quite a bit of pitting/discoloration from the extensive carbon build up. Needless to say, I decided the best course of action would be to just buy new tips.

Do any forum members have any suggestions on aftermarket exhaust tips for our F25 X3's? I'm not looking for any weld-on exhaust tips, only the clamp style, or the similar stock BMW internal-clip style tips. I know the stock BMW ones are available, just thought I'd see if there is a nice aftermarket option that would look good on our vehicles before picking up the stock ones.

I used Turtle wax polishing compound on my exhaust tips, they are chrome and like brand new after you use that
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 07:31 PM   #4
Schmullis
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3 3.5i XLine

Quote:
Greeting forum members,

I used Bar Keeper's Friend and a sponge (scrounge side) then a Mr. Clean sponge. Cleaned up like new.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
raheelc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoho_leung View Post
So many available on ebay.
I'm trying to find along the lines of this (angle cut version):

Haven't been able to find one yet though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpwhite46 View Post
I used Turtle wax polishing compound on my exhaust tips, they are chrome and like brand new after you use that
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmullis View Post
I used Bar Keeper's Friend and a sponge (scrounge side) then a Mr. Clean sponge. Cleaned up like new.
Thanks for the suggestions, I actually did clean them up, but the metal is actually pitted so the chrome doesn't shine like it should, and no amount of polishing/cleaning is going to get rid of the pitting, so that's why I'm looking for some new tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:58 PM   #6
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

You should stick with the OEM tips, if you still have the stock exhaust. Why?
1. They will fit like a glove: The probability of finding a non-OEM tip in the right diameter AND correct angle will be very small. Eventhough you can buy china-copies for the f25 on ebay, they are probably not gonna meet your expectations
2. The OEM tips will most likely be better quality than non-OEM or no-name tips.
3. You have to take note of the exhaust hole on that picture.... If its rolled in to much as pictured above (i.e. the diameter of the tips hole is much smaller, than the diameter of the pipe) the airflow will suffer because it can't leave the exhaust as easily as it should and could create what we call in German "Rückstau": The amount of air leaving the exhaust is reduced leading to decreased performance. Some of you may remember the scene in Beverly Hills Cop, where Axel sticks a banana into the cop car.. LOL Same principle.

By the way: Since the 2014 LCI, you can get OEM tips in shiny chrome or brushed aluminum (as is the case with the x-Lines). I quite like brushe aluminums.
      01-31-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Gamb1t
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 330i,X1,Z4,Solstice GXP, RX-8

Some Brasso, #0000 steel wool and some elbow greese goes a long way in restoring the shine of your original BMW tips. It is likely better quality than fleabay stuff anyway.

But if you feel the need to $pend....
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 12:40 AM   #8
raheelc
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atrueb View Post
You should stick with the OEM tips, if you still have the stock exhaust. Why?
1. They will fit like a glove: The probability of finding a non-OEM tip in the right diameter AND correct angle will be very small. Eventhough you can buy china-copies for the f25 on ebay, they are probably not gonna meet your expectations
2. The OEM tips will most likely be better quality than non-OEM or no-name tips.
3. You have to take note of the exhaust hole on that picture.... If its rolled in to much as pictured above (i.e. the diameter of the tips hole is much smaller, than the diameter of the pipe) the airflow will suffer because it can't leave the exhaust as easily as it should and could create what we call in German "Rückstau": The amount of air leaving the exhaust is reduced leading to decreased performance. Some of you may remember the scene in Beverly Hills Cop, where Axel sticks a banana into the cop car.. LOL Same principle.

By the way: Since the 2014 LCI, you can get OEM tips in shiny chrome or brushed aluminum (as is the case with the x-Lines). I quite like brushe aluminums.
Good point, thanks! I have a 2013 X3, would the brushed OEM tips fit? After doing some searching, I think you're probably right, the best option would be the OEM tips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamb1t View Post
Some Brasso, #0000 steel wool and some elbow greese goes a long way in restoring the shine of your original BMW tips. It is likely better quality than fleabay stuff anyway.

But if you feel the need to $pend....
I've already tried some steel wool and metal polish, but the pitting is actually too deep to be removed with that method, hence why I'm looking for new tips.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2017, 04:05 PM   #9
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quote:
Good point, thanks! I have a 2013 X3, would the brushed OEM tips fit? After doing some searching, I think you're probably right, the best option would be the OEM tips.
According to German Spareparts homepage https://www.leebmann24.de/bmw-ersatz...r=18_0992&vin= , these would be the right part number for your 28i (2013):
- Chrome tip: 18307602845
- Brushed aluminum tip: 18308605660
      02-08-2017, 05:25 AM   #10
JupiterBMW
Self Proclaimed Roundel Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 & '13 F25 X3

I'm tired of looking at the never perfect chrome tips as well... So I'm doing a custom exhaust retrofit when I get my hands on a good condition used one..

#Dinan
Past: '11 E91 335is, '11 E90 M3, '10 X5M, '14 328d, '03 330i Dinan3 ZHP, '04 330i ZHP, '12 X3 35i
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2020, 09:58 PM   #11
rcsummers
OG e46
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3 | ‘16 Golf R | ‘04 M3

How did you remove the tips? Did they slip off?

@summers_7R_M3
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:22 PM   #12
ramda2021
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25 20d

Does anyone know what should the size of a tip cover be? I mean, given the outer diameter of 75mm of an M twin tailpipe tip, a cover with clams and rounded inverted edges should be like, what - 76mm? 80mm?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #13
ramda2021
Rep
Drives: BMW x3 F25 20d

For this one - 18302233613, for instance, there's absolutely no cover listed. So GENERALLY speaking, would you have any idea how much wider a cover should be? Don't know if with the clamps inside a 76mm could slide on top and if the 80mm wouldn't be too large. Funny how BMW hasn't provided some covers for that as well, twin pipes do look cooler but this ones are too... skinny without a cover trim.
Appreciate 0