BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-16-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
kenxxxx1
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: x3 xdrive 2.0d Msport 2012

Question Tyre Pressure Sensor Programme for Run Flats

Can anyone inform if there is a separate Tyre Pressure Monitoring Programme for BMW X3's with run flat tyres?

Previous to having work done (unrelated fuel tank replacement) at a BMW dealer the tyre pressure indicator would alert on detecting a drop of a few lb's and instruct to drive to the nearest dealer. After the work, my tyre pressure sensors were not functioning at all (had a puncture and car didn't know) more work at BMW to correct the issue. To test I let some air out and after a few miles the display instructed to pull over immediately.

BMW told me they have loaded the latest tyre pressure monitor programme and it's the only one they have, but it looks to me like they would need two, one for standard tyres and one for run flats as run flats circumference don't change much with pressure changes. Also the new dashboard message does not correlate with a car on run flats.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2015, 07:37 AM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

There are 2 different units depending on your country and spec.

1 uses DSC sensors to look at circumference change with a flat.
The other has in tyre pressure monitors. (Option 2VB, tyre pressure display)

Both work fine with runflats or "normal" type tyres. No change in software needed.

Just remember to re-initialise the system as per your owners manual each time you change the tire pressure.
      11-16-2015, 12:37 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenxxxx1 View Post
Can anyone inform if there is a separate Tyre Pressure Monitoring Programme for BMW X3's with run flat tyres?

Previous to having work done (unrelated fuel tank replacement) at a BMW dealer the tyre pressure indicator would alert on detecting a drop of a few lb's and instruct to drive to the nearest dealer. After the work, my tyre pressure sensors were not functioning at all (had a puncture and car didn't know) more work at BMW to correct the issue. To test I let some air out and after a few miles the display instructed to pull over immediately.

BMW told me they have loaded the latest tyre pressure monitor programme and it's the only one they have, but it looks to me like they would need two, one for standard tyres and one for run flats as run flats circumference don't change much with pressure changes. Also the new dashboard message does not correlate with a car on run flats.
The TPMS is exactly the same for run flat tyres as it is for standard tyres, on your year car in the UK, and only one system is used (unless a previous owner has fitted an aftermarket kit) and is in the iDrive menu. After inflating your tyres to the correct pressures you reset it. The instructions on how to do this are in your manual. It is important you read and understand how the system works.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2015, 06:53 AM   #4
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

Local tyre shop changed to wintertyres friday. They have a "tyrehotel" :change - wash - store both sets for £40/year.
Summers 20" - winters 18". TPMS for winters bought by tyreshop who programmed "pirates" to work with my car.
Pressed "reset" on TPMS display while driving - after about a minute pressures displayed.
This was third time around - took some more time first.

Summertyres Run Flats,original Pirellis. Wintertyres "normal" tyres although studded. Have compressor+slime bought on Amazone.

Last edited by Tjalle; 11-22-2015 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
Tipster
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X3 28i

Change to 2VB option

DSC sensors look at circumference change with a flat.
The other is tire pressure monitors. (Option 2VB, tire pressure display). My vehicle came with the DSC sensors is possible to change to 2VB option?
Appreciate 0