BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-12-2012, 08:28 AM   #1
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Auto dimming & folding mirrors?

Can someone please say how useful this option is? Does it make a constructive difference when night driving? Especially on motorways/freeways?

As far as folding goes, do they detect objects (like bollards) and automatically fold or do they just auto fold when parked? UK spec if that makes a difference?

If you don't go for this objection is there still a "fold" button or is it a matter of opening your windows and manually folding them in (this is what the dealer told me...)?

Thanks
QT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 08:56 AM   #2
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Speaking from US spec here, for what it's worth. They do not detect objects and fold, they may fold if struck. There's a button inside by the mirror adjustment to manually fold them in. They'll automatically fold out beyond a certain speed. I find this very useful in tight parking areas. Without the feature it's manual -- as in, by hand not by button. The dimming feature is most important to me, though. It really improves night driving by reducing the glare, particularly of some of the early xenons that had really bright side lobes.
      02-12-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by QTPie View Post
Can someone please say how useful this option is? Does it make a constructive difference when night driving? Especially on motorways/freeways?

As far as folding goes, do they detect objects (like bollards) and automatically fold or do they just auto fold when parked? UK spec if that makes a difference?

If you don't go for this objection is there still a "fold" button or is it a matter of opening your windows and manually folding them in (this is what the dealer told me...)?

Thanks
QT
I would recommend getting this option 100%. The auto dimming is really useful and the auto folding mirrors should be standard really IMO. Nahoa has answered the other questions. On UK spec X3s they automatically fold if you hold lock on the remote when locking the car or you can press a button inside in the car to fold them at any time. If you fold using the remote on lock, they automatically unfold on unlock

If you don't get this option it's a manual push to fold them in

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

I have them and wouldn't want to be without them now. Though, in any case I have the top view camera and they are required for that.
I agree with sfax that they should really be standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
DJ Daddy-O
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 2011

Just to reiterate what others have said. Definitely worth it. The dimming mirrors are so much safer on motorways where no street lights are in place.

I wouldn't be without these options.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 02:49 PM   #6
x3heh
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustofa View Post
I have them and wouldn't want to be without them now. Though, in any case I have the top view camera and they are required for that.
I agree with sfax that they should really be standard.
+1.

Also if not for the law requiring stability control on all new models, it would still be optional. All safety features should be standard.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:10 PM   #7
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
+1 from me!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
QTPie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D M Sport

Thank you very much: I did think that it would be a good idea to have this option, but you have all confirmed it.

Will add it to the (large) list of options: hope to place the order for the X3 tomorrow

QT
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Certainly I agree with the comments here about these options. However just to expand on what sfax said - the mirrors do not fold in automatically when you lock your car in a normal manner (whether using CA or the key fob). To have the mirrors fold in you must either using the manual button inside the car before you get out, or you must hold down the lock button on the key fob for 2-3 seconds at least to get the mirrors to fold in. This holding down the lock button also closes any open windows (and sunroof it you have one) which is not neceesarily what you might want. It would be so much easier if you had the option from the I-drive menu to fold the mirrors in every time you "normally" lock the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 06:33 PM   #10
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just FYI for others, the mirrors don't fold after holding the lock button on US models.
      03-21-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Maybe off topic here but, the auto dimming interior review mirror looks like it also has homelink... is homelink included with the dimming review mirror?

tx
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 11:48 PM   #12
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Both features are very useful and are not only practical but contribute to the safety of you and your car.

One disappointing thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the auto dimming mirror only dims the rear view mirror and not the other two, I can't imagine why BMW doesn't also make the driver's side dimmable.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 04:25 AM   #13
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Auto dimming interior and exterior mirrors were part of the Premium Package when I purchased my 2011. Have them. Like them!
      03-22-2012, 06:31 AM   #14
dfcoelho
Enlisted Member
Portugal
Rep
Drives: '11X3(F25)2.0dA,'13 3(F30)2.0d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyu View Post
Both features are very useful and are not only practical but contribute to the safety of you and your car.

One disappointing thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is that the auto dimming mirror only dims the rear view mirror and not the other two, I can't imagine why BMW doesn't also make the driver's side dimmable.
There are different options that alter the configuration, and one has the auto dimming interior mirror and there is another option that adds the exterior mirrors dimming as well.

As said above, both functions (auto dim and folding) are pretty usefull and the only weakness in the system is indeed the fact that there is no way to program the mirrors to always fold as you lock the doors.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #15
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I wouldn't be without mine
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 06:35 PM   #16
X35D For Me
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 35D M Sport

It would be good though if the interior sunblind for the roof didn't close as you hold the remote lock button to fold the mirrors in!!
X3 35D M Sport, Vermillion Red/Oyster, Fineline Wave wood, 19" alloys (369M) Prof. Media Pack, DAB, Sun Roof, Elec. seat adj.+ lumbar, Visibility Pack, Prof. Speakers, Sun Protection Glass, Reverse Cam/Top View, Seat Heating, M Sport suspension deletion, HUD.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #17
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Neither of those work on the US model.