BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #1
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

X3 Diesel- ZF auto redline the engine?

Hi,

A quick question- I've got a 3.0d on order. Is it possible with the ZF gearbox to redline the engine? One of the frustrations I have with my existing non BMW diesel auto is the Auto ECU will not allow me to drop into a gear which would mean high reving the engine. i.e. using engine braking. I find I'm on the brakes a lot more then I would with a manual gearbox. Good for saving the engine, but harder on the brakes. Sometimes I just wish I could drop another gear during deceleration, I'm pushing back on the gear lever, and the gearbox will not drop until the revs drop.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

Hmm, you should be able to gear down when it is safe for the engine. Why would you want to gear down when there is a possibility of over revving the engine?

p.s. brakes are cheaper than transmissions to fix.
      07-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #3
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post
Hmm, you should be able to gear down when it is safe for the engine. Why would you want to gear down when there is a possibility of over revving the engine?

p.s. brakes are cheaper than transmissions to fix.
I don't want to over rev the engine, just get towards the red line. My current car will not me get anywhere close to the red line. My engine has never seen above 4000 revs.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Hi,

A quick question- I've got a 3.0d on order. Is it possible with the ZF gearbox to redline the engine? One of the frustrations I have with my existing non BMW diesel auto is the Auto ECU will not allow me to drop into a gear which would mean high reving the engine. i.e. using engine braking. I find I'm on the brakes a lot more then I would with a manual gearbox. Good for saving the engine, but harder on the brakes. Sometimes I just wish I could drop another gear during deceleration, I'm pushing back on the gear lever, and the gearbox will not drop until the revs drop.
It's not so safe to redline an engine when downshifting. I understand you want to have a good engine help for braking but doing this with the gearbox exposes you to difficulties in tuning perfectly the amount of engine brake end the engine to some unnecessary stress. Trust your gearbox logic, if it doesn't allow you to downshift there must be a very good reason.

This said, in manual mode, you can still have some fun, either up shifting at the limit and downshifting slightly below the redline.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I go along with the "brakes are cheaper than transmissions", particularly with AWD.

But there should be no reason why the 'box won't down change on manual command, if the engine is not going past the redline in doing so. To be honest I never engine brake to that level in my 3-series 330d. Although I do engine brake, when out in the mountains or on snow, (winter tyres of course).

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #6
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Yes, revs beyond 4k rpm, I think I've seen close to 4.5k once on full acceleration in sports mode.
Not sure about downshifts, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:39 AM   #7
troggy1969
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335D MSport 2016

Garage List
Max power is at 4000rpm and a diesel engine works on torque more than power. In sport the transmission will change at the points to give the best acceleration which will be between 3 - 4000 rpm, to rev higher would be slower

The only need to go above 4000 rpm would be for engine breaking down steep hills or when towing.
Appreciate 0