BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2017, 10:14 AM   #1
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

How to change wheels over / trolley jack recommendation

Hi guys,
I've got a 3 month old X3 m-sport with runflats, the car has no jack or any tools of that nature.
I managed to get a set of cheap winter wheels and tyres second hand from a BMW dealer who also fitted them and have the ones the car was supplied with stashed in the shed.

How would you swap them over when the times comes, I'm leaning towards getting a decent trolley jack, it appears I need an adaptor as well like this (link), but should I be also using axle stands?

I'm wary of damaging a very expensive car, especially as my on my last car I managed to damage the jacking point using the supplied jack and following the manual - caused an argument with the dealers.

Any recommendations for jacks/axle stands etc.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 10:31 AM   #2
Roundown
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by gullyg View Post
Hi guys,
I've got a 3 month old X3 m-sport with runflats, the car has no jack or any tools of that nature.
I managed to get a set of cheap winter wheels and tyres second hand from a BMW dealer who also fitted them and have the ones the car was supplied with stashed in the shed.

How would you swap them over when the times comes, I'm leaning towards getting a decent trolley jack, it appears I need an adaptor as well like this (link), but should I be also using axle stands?

I'm wary of damaging a very expensive car, especially as my on my last car I managed to damage the jacking point using the supplied jack and following the manual - caused an argument with the dealers.

Any recommendations for jacks/axle stands etc.

Thanks.
Any 2-ton jack will do it. Use the adapter linked and your good to go. I haven't yet bothered with jack stands, but they're likely a safe bet.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:38 PM   #3
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

@gullyg

I do my change over with that adaptor (puck) and a trolley jack from Costco. It is a Draper Trolley Jack and one of the best. Only £89 if you shop around.

This one.... https://www.amazon.co.uk/Draper-3148.../dp/B00HNV3J02
2020 BMW X1 xDrive 2.0i MSport (F48).
2022 MB EQB 300 4MATIC AMG Line Premium
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #4
Kugaman1
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 m sport plus

Go for the best quality jack you can afford.

Dont bother with these cheapo Halfords/Ebay 2 tonne jacks that cost £30..... you are asking for trouble.

If you buy a good quality jack and the bmw adapter pad, (personally, I wouldnt bother with axle stands....... although to be totally safe you should.) you will be fine.

I bought this as I wanted one that was low enough to also get under my Lotus....

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3lp...FcWVGwod4kAJ7w
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:32 PM   #5
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Besides the jack, one other tool I would highly recommend is a pair of wheel hangers specific for the F25 X3. It particularly helps in aligning the wheel as you put it back on. Mine are Reverse Logic from the US but I'm sure there would be other suitable suppliers.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
gullyg
Rep
Drives: 2016 X3

Thanks for the help guys.

Got a few months before I need to change over but would prefer to be organised.

Never know - we might actually get some snow at some point (chance would be a fine thing) to play in.
Appreciate 0