BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #2201
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcintosh View Post
The company I work for offers a reduced rate scheme (effectively PCP) called AlphaDrive available through Alphabet. No deposit and 24, 36 or 48 months of payments followed by optional purchase.
Ah I see, it seems that I have a BMW company lease hire which is actually provided by Alphabet for BMW UK.

My dealer told me that they 'buy' build slots at the factory in the hope of finding customers to buy cars to fill them, that way (if you're lucky) it speeds up the build / delivery process. One such 'slot' was available when I placed my order so I guess that might have worked in my favour. Lease companies might not have such an advantage.
      09-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #2202
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

Just thought I'd give everyone an update. Ordered my 30d SE on the 12th July, was told that it would arrive end of September. Anyway came back from hols on the 10th Sep, and had a voice message saying the car had arrived and was ready for collection. So I presume it had arrived early September. So around 6 weeks from order to delivery- they must have cleared the back log in the US factory.

Still trying to figure out all the options on the Professional Media. Just got my connecteddrive login info today and struggling getting the BMW Android app to work.

Very impressed by the drive and interior.... BUT I went into my father-in-laws Jag XF yesterday, and the interior of that feels that bit more special i.e. leather stitched dash, electric pop up vents, pop up drive selector etc. For a similar price you seem to get more with the Jag- but its not an SUV or 4x4.

Already missing the electric heated seats of my Hyundai Santa Fe- I couldn't justify the BMW prices for some extras.

Anyway good start to BMW life- further updates to follow.

BTW- The local dealer sold me GAP insurance based upon lowering the BMW Select APR from 7.9% to 7.5% (Q3 special). Works out the GAP should cost £350, but with the improved APR cost is around £150 which is competitive.
Haggle hard for your best deal. Thanks to all for their previous buying tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #2203
amcintosh
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d M Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by saggo View Post
My dealer told me that they 'buy' build slots at the factory in the hope of finding customers to buy cars to fill them
I was told the same by my dealer and given an expectation of <2 months delivery but unless I am lucky it looks like now they have my deposit their story has changed and there is not much I can do about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #2204
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
Just thought I'd give everyone an update. Ordered my 30d SE on the 12th July, was told that it would arrive end of September. Anyway came back from hols on the 10th Sep, and had a voice message saying the car had arrived and was ready for collection. So I presume it had arrived early September. So around 6 weeks from order to delivery- they must have cleared the back log in the US factory.

Still trying to figure out all the options on the Professional Media. Just got my connecteddrive login info today and struggling getting the BMW Android app to work.

Very impressed by the drive and interior.... BUT I went into my father-in-laws Jag XF yesterday, and the interior of that feels that bit more special i.e. leather stitched dash, electric pop up vents, pop up drive selector etc. For a similar price you seem to get more with the Jag- but its not an SUV or 4x4.

Already missing the electric heated seats of my Hyundai Santa Fe- I couldn't justify the BMW prices for some extras.

Anyway good start to BMW life- further updates to follow.
It's great when it happens like that, at least you didn't have a week of sleepless nights waiting like I'm going to have - like kids at Christmas!

Look forward to reading your comments over the coming weeks...I've already got signed up for Connected Drive since I have my VIN / VRN. I can log on using the iPhone & iPad apps and have my car listed in the available vehicles though my car is still not responding to horn sounding / headlamp flashing etc - I assume it'll be configured as part of the preparation process during the next few days - fingers crossed!
      09-18-2012, 03:57 PM   #2205
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcintosh View Post
I was told the same by my dealer and given an expectation of <2 months delivery but unless I am lucky it looks like now they have my deposit their story has changed and there is not much I can do about it.
My dealer originally quoted me delivery in week 41/42 (approx 12 weeks from date of order) and it's now confirmed for delivery middle of week 39 so it can improve as the build / transit progresses - hope yours does the same!
      09-18-2012, 04:07 PM   #2206
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I've already got signed up for Connected Drive since I have my VIN / VRN. I can log on using the iPhone & iPad apps and have my car listed in the available vehicles though my car is still not responding to horn sounding / headlamp flashing etc - I assume it'll be configured as part of the preparation process during the next few days - fingers crossed!
Just thought I'd better clarify, I set up my Connected Drive account prior to getting my car in the hope of tracking it's position remotely though it seems that even if the car was configured it's not possible to track the car if it's >1.5km from my current location - bummer! As I said my app can issue 'sound horn' 'flash headlamps' commands (which are initially accepted) though I eventually receive an error message that the car is not responding. Worth a try I guess.
      09-18-2012, 05:14 PM   #2207
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just thought I'd better clarify, I set up my Connected Drive account prior to getting my car in the hope of tracking it's position remotely though it seems that even if the car was configured it's not possible to track the car if it's >1.5km from my current location - bummer! As I said my app can issue 'sound horn' 'flash headlamps' commands (which are initially accepted) though I eventually receive an error message that the car is not responding. Worth a try I guess.
After messing around for an hour it looks like you also have to enable the car to Connected Drive. There also seems like some apps that can be downloaded. It not very user friendly.

I'll 'play' some more over the weekend. If I can send a destination from my desktop to the car, and get the phone apps working ok I'll be happy.

The network connection to the car appears to be slow- doesn't feel like 3g.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2012, 05:22 PM   #2208
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Just a follow on from my last post- does anyone know where the SIM card for the Connected Drive is located in the car? Does anyone know which network it uses? Does it work in Europe if I go on hols i.e. is free data roaming supported?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:50 AM   #2209
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Just a follow on from my last post- does anyone know where the SIM card for the Connected Drive is located in the car? Does anyone know which network it uses? Does it work in Europe if I go on hols i.e. is free data roaming supported?
T-mobile SIM but annoyingly not 3G, only EDGE so crap for data speed basically. Does work in Europe though - BMW Assist and the whole SOS thing covers UK + 14 European countries and this needs the SIM for sending car's location.

From BMW brochure:

Quote:
The most reassuring element of BMW Assist is the Emergency Call service. This is activated when you press an overhead button or triggered automatically if the car is involved in an accident. It alerts emergency services and relays the car’s location, pinpointed by the satnav. This facility is now active in the UK and 14 other European countries: France, Belgium, Netherlands, Germany, Italy, Spain, Austria, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Monaco, Andorra, Lichtenstein, San Marino and Vatican City. In the unlikely event of a breakdown, you can connect direct to the 24-hour, seven-days-a-week BMW Roadside Assistance service centre, manned by technicians ready to sort the problem or arrange rescue.
Re. the SIM's location in the car: I don't think it's easily accessible - I assume it's buried in the CIC somewhere

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #2210
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

It's in the country

Just been on the phone to the dealer and have been told that my car is now in the UK. Not sure exactly where in the UK, but it's seems that the boat has docked in Southampton and the car will be winging it's way up to Yorkshire soon. Anyone know how long it takes the cars from reaching Sothampton to being delivered to dealers across the country?

Can't pick up the car until 29/09 as I'm away on business until then, but things are looking good

The end of the waiting is in sight - I bet time will really drag next week.
      09-19-2012, 12:56 PM   #2211
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
It's great when it happens like that, at least you didn't have a week of sleepless nights waiting like I'm going to have - like kids at Christmas!

Look forward to reading your comments over the coming weeks...I've already got signed up for Connected Drive since I have my VIN / VRN. I can log on using the iPhone & iPad apps and have my car listed in the available vehicles though my car is still not responding to horn sounding / headlamp flashing etc - I assume it'll be configured as part of the preparation process during the next few days - fingers crossed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Just been on the phone to the dealer and have been told that my car is now in the UK. Not sure exactly where in the UK, but it's seems that the boat has docked in Southampton and the car will be winging it's way up to Yorkshire soon. Anyone know how long it takes the cars from reaching Sothampton to being delivered to dealers across the country?

Can't pick up the car until 29/09 as I'm away on business until then, but things are looking good

The end of the waiting is in sight - I bet time will really drag next week.
Where are you picking it up from? I've heard that as of earlier this year not all BMW's are prepared at the Thorne prep' centre. Cars for the south of the UK get prep'd near or in Southampton prior to transportation to the dealer.
      09-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #2212
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Warning-- driving the 30d might be bad for your driving licence. Just had a 200 mile round trip up the M40 to Birmingham today. With idiots hanging on your bumper its far too easy to put your foot down a little and you're approaching 3 figure speeds, then I become the idiot for driving too fast

On the return trip I reset the trip computer and had to stick to 50-60mph round the M42- achieved 50 mpg+ , then once on the M40 that rapidly dropped because of a heavy right foot. Excellent performance & good economy for a 3 litre car.

Does anyone know what the Sports setting actually does. Does it just affect the thottle mapping? Top performance seems to be achieved by setting Sport setting and knocking the gear lever left into DS- Correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:40 AM   #2213
Kiernan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition/911 GTS

Quote:
Where are you picking it up from? I've heard that as of earlier this year not all BMW's are prepared at the Thorne prep' centre. Cars for the south of the UK get prep'd near or in Southampton prior to transportation to the dealer.
Stratstone BMW in Leeds. I was told the same about Thorne, as they now do the prep work for all US built BMW's in Bremerhaven. At least that should speed things up, so assuming they have trucks leaving Southampton pretty much all the time, my car could be at the dealers for the weekend.

Still won't be able to get it until the following weekend, but at least I'll know it's there and we're definitely on for the 29th.
      09-20-2012, 02:13 AM   #2214
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiernan View Post
Stratstone BMW in Leeds. I was told the same about Thorne, as they now do the prep work for all US built BMW's in Bremerhaven. At least that should speed things up, so assuming they have trucks leaving Southampton pretty much all the time, my car could be at the dealers for the weekend.

Still won't be able to get it until the following weekend, but at least I'll know it's there and we're definitely on for the 29th.
Interesting. So they off-load all of the US built cars bound for the UK in Bremerhaven, get them through European customs, prep them then load them back onto a ship for the journey to the UK.
I've been trying to track the movement of ships (and hopefully my car) assuming that a particular car is carried on the same ship throughout its entire journey from the USA to Southampton - it appears that might not necessarily be the case since I'm sure the customs clearance / prep process in Bremerhaven might take longer than the original ship is in dock.

I guess my tracking activities where a total waste of time and I still don't know exactly where my car is...i assumed that if its going to be at the dealers by the middle of next week it must be in the UK by now though if all of the prep was done en-route in Germany then it might not necessarily be here yet.

My wife says its only a car and I should just relax and wait for next Wednesday but that's easy for her to say, what does she know anyhow???
      09-24-2012, 09:05 AM   #2215
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's finally here!

Quote:
Interesting. So they off-load all of the US built cars bound for the UK in Bremerhaven, get them through European customs, prep them then load them back onto a ship for the journey to the UK.
I've been trying to track the movement of ships (and hopefully my car) assuming that a particular car is carried on the same ship throughout its entire journey from the USA to Southampton - it appears that might not necessarily be the case since I'm sure the customs clearance / prep process in Bremerhaven might take longer than the original ship is in dock.

I guess my tracking activities where a total waste of time and I still don't know exactly where my car is...i assumed that if its going to be at the dealers by the middle of next week it must be in the UK by now though if all of the prep was done en-route in Germany then it might not necessarily be here yet.

My wife says its only a car and I should just relax and wait for next Wednesday but that's easy for her to say, what does she know anyhow???
Went to the dealers this morning for an update on my delivery date. Told that the car is in the UK and will be at the dealers by the end of the week...not sure which day though. Not exactly what I wanted to hear.

Just as we where leaving guess what turned up? - the car transporter with my car on the top deck!

Picking it up Wednesday morning

Must get the 18's off and a set of nice 369M's on (I'm fitting winter tyres to the standard 18" rims)

Will post pics on Wednesday.
Attached Images

09-24-2012, 12:16 PM   #2216
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quick question to the UK X3 owners- does your passenger mirror dip when you engage reverse? I've read a couple of postings saying that the x3 should do this. I've tried toggling the mirror select switch and it doesn't work. Is there an option that makes this work? i.e. folding mirrors (which I don't have)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #2217
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Quick question to the UK X3 owners- does your passenger mirror dip when you engage reverse? I've read a couple of postings saying that the x3 should do this. I've tried toggling the mirror select switch and it doesn't work. Is there an option that makes this work? i.e. folding mirrors (which I don't have)
I can confirm my UK 2011 X3 does dip the passenger mirror when I engage reverse. I don't remember if it was only included with a package, thought it was standard. Don't think it matters which way the mirror select button is on to action mine.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:15 PM   #2218
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingOne View Post
I can confirm my UK 2011 X3 does dip the passenger mirror when I engage reverse. I don't remember if it was only included with a package, thought it was standard. Don't think it matters which way the mirror select button is on to action mine.
It does matter but I can't remember which way round it is . I have folding mirrors and electric seats

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #2219
CatFlap
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
It does matter but I can't remember which way round it is . I have folding mirrors and electric seats
If its the same as my 3 series, you have to have the selector switch in the drivers side position for the passenger mirror to dip automatically when reverses selected.
      09-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #2220
JimmyTheHand
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Dealer said needs either Electric Seats or Folding Door mirrors - mine does and I have electric seats, no folding mirrors though

edit: I think switch needs to be set to alter passenger mirror
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 02:54 AM   #2221
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyTheHand View Post
Dealer said needs either Electric Seats or Folding Door mirrors - mine does and I have electric seats, no folding mirrors though

edit: I think switch needs to be set to alter passenger mirror
I don't have electric seats or electric folding mirror hence no dipping passenger mirror. Is this 'feature' mentioned in the X3 options brochure? Don't remember seeing it.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2012, 04:18 AM   #2222
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep

'Just one more thing' as a famous detective said.

The dash area below where the multi-function keys are seems to be hollow plastic overlay.
Shouldn't there be a cubby hole there? My last car had a 'smoker/ loose parking change' pop out drawer. Or is that another option I missed.

Last edited by philtrick123; 09-25-2012 at 04:23 AM..
Appreciate 0