BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #1
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Aluminum trim

I'm looking at getting a new X3 and the one thing I'm not sure about is internal trim. The light wood looks too light and the dark wood too dark/fake. The aluminum trim might be an option but how scratch resistant is it? I've seen this trim in Audi's and it can look pretty dinged up after a while. Any views/experiences on this?

MTIA
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I went with brushed aluminum for the exact same reason you're considering it. I've only had my car for 2 weeks. I would say your best research arena woud be another area in the community where people can give you long-term results with brushed aluminum. Most people in this area recently took delivery.

I have a dog, so I have the same concerns; however, the surface feels very solid to me. I think it would take lot to scratch it.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #3
guitarpath
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 35i

What exterior/interior colors are you going with?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Probably Space Gray, Chestnut, and brushed aluminum. Or Titanium, Oyster, and Siena/aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 04:32 PM   #5
guitarpath
Private
Rep

I think the Space Gray with Chestnut interior and brushed aluminum offers a nice, sporty look.

The Titanium with Oyster would look nice with the Wave Wood, IMO, just for some contrast.

Either way, it'll work.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 05:29 PM   #6
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
I'm looking at getting a new X3 and the one thing I'm not sure about is internal trim. The light wood looks too light and the dark wood too dark/fake. The aluminum trim might be an option but how scratch resistant is it? I've seen this trim in Audi's and it can look pretty dinged up after a while. Any views/experiences on this?

MTIA
I have it in my 335, and it is pretty durable. No scratches yet, and I'm far from gentle on my car. No dogs, but I do have a 2.5 year old boy. I like it so much that I've ordered on my X3.

Other folks have reported getting dents in the trim (since it really is Al, not just painted plastic), but I believe this is a problem that is specific to the 3-series. I say this because when you take your seatbeat off in the 3-series, the steel buckle can swing around an hit the Al trim on the door.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
How durable the aluminum trim is depends greatly on your habits and the habits of your passengers. I have an X5 with aluminum and I've had several BMWs with wood. I prefer wood by a vast margin. The aluminum will ding, dent, and scratch. Let the seat belt buckle hit it just once and you'll see for yourself.

If you are careful (by nature, not because you're forcing yourself to be because that won't last) then aluminum will be fine. It looks best with darker interiors, but would look okay with anything really (personal taste). I agree with you about the dark wave wood, it looks like the fake plastic wood I had in a Subaru. I am going with the Siena beause I love the light wood against the dark dash and upper doors.

Whatever your choice, hope you're happy with it!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 1
      04-29-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
smarm
Worsier then Tupac dying.
Rep
Drives:

I've had the brushed Aluminium in the 135 for almost 3 years and it's fine. I'm pretty rough with my cars, there's only one mark on it from a watch banging against it.

Quote:
If you write 'Wash Me' on my car, I'll carve 'Resuscitate Me' into your chest
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Powerrunner
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i 2011

If I were that concerned then maybe the wood trim would be a better choice. Unless the aluminum trim can easily be replaced I'd it does get marked up.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 08:37 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerrunner View Post
If I were that concerned then maybe the wood trim would be a better choice. Unless the aluminum trim can easily be replaced I'd it does get marked up.
Easily, yes. Inexpensively.... no. Replaced the driver's door piece on the X5 to the tune of about $130 for the part.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Color matching aside I would think the brushed aluminum would be the most durable out of all the trims. Aluminum doesn't get swirl marks like wood and is scratch resistant. Wood is pretty much the opposite, you don't dent it but swirl and scratches develop much more easily. I've had my car for almost two weeks now with the fineline wave and it's already got some very fine scratches on it and I've been babying the car too. Aluminum should last much longer than wood if you take care of it but as soon you dent it it's going to look horrible, I had a few dents on my last car and I'm glad it was a lease.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 11:57 PM   #12
Alanintx
ATAP
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Midnight Blue 430xi GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Easily, yes. Inexpensively.... no. Replaced the driver's door piece on the X5 to the tune of about $130 for the part.

Not so easily on the X3. The dash piece is simple, the transmission piece not too bad. Both "pop" out, and the transmission trim requires that you carefully remove/replace the iDrive and panel to the left of the "stick".

The door trim pieces on the X3, surprisingly, are the most difficult as you must take off the door panel because the trim pieces are screwed on from the inside. Ugh.

Use to be nice and simple clips on earlier BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:05 AM   #13
guitarpath
Private
Rep

My CA specifically steered me away from getting Aluminum trim. He said its much more difficult to maintain than wood and that aluminum dents very easily. He added that its difficult and expensive to replace when damaged. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
X5plug-in
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

That was the advice I got too. Alu looks stunning new but shows any blemish where as wood swirls can hide the odd mark. I have wave wood on my current car and that is my experience. Of course, depends how the car will be used and whether sport or classic is your interior vibe. With wave wood I am surprised they don't give you a free pipe and slippers! Still Jay I like tho - think of it as a high speed lounge.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:03 PM   #15
zlee11
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

My take on alum

I too had to make the wood vs aluminum decision this week. I've had 4 previous BMWs, all this wood trim. This time, I wanted something different. I also read about scratching and dinging the aluminum, but I decided to go with it anyway. I always hated the fingerprints that show up on the wood. Look at how anal we are. Before my X5, I made a horrible mistake an bought a Lexus GS. I assure you that no one on the Lexus boards were worried about the wood trim.
This is all about happiness. Order what makes you happy.
Appreciate 0