BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2024, 10:55 AM   #1
ch1pch4p
Rep
Drives: E83 2008

Angry ISTA-P Coding VTG module CoAPI error 1000

Howdy!
I have an E83 2008 3.0si which has been through the ringer. It was encoutering rough accell at lower speeds and through corners, and what started me on this crusade was bringing it into the dealership to which they diagnosed the transfer case binding. I took them on their word, swiftly ignored it, and carried on. Then I get the QUAD lights (ABS, 4x4, BRAKE, and Airbag) and the roughness got worse. So, I thought first to replace the actuator cause I'm cheap and why not. That did nothing. Better flush the fluid! Did it TWICE. That shiz is expensive. Nothing. Mind you through replacing the actuator motor and flushing the oil I used ISTA/D to perform the funtions, so when it got to the "the adaptation of the case will be reset" (or similar) it would attempt, I could here a couple whirs below the car happen for about 1-2 seconds, then it would fail saying "It could not be performed fault free".

Sick. So after WAY TOO LONG trying to get around that, I bit the bullet and get a reman TF Case. Getting that installed sucked, but I got it done, and filled up with _another_ DTF-1 fluid, and performed the Repair function.... still could not be performed fault free. WTF.

So, I bite the bullet AGAIN, bring it to the dealer for them to code, to which they ran into the same issue, and said that the VTG module needed to be replaced for another cool 1600 bucks. FFS. So take the car back, I buy the module (new OEM) and attempt to code it through ISTA/P, and I get the aformentioned error - CoAPI 1000 General Fault when attempting to Code (for brevity, I spun up ISTA/P, said modules were replaced, put in the basic/programmed part numbers, and it went to code)
. I've tried different combos (with the new TF Case) of the original Actuator, aftermarket acturator, a DIFFERENT aftermarket actuator, and the resistors (making sure I reclassifcy before trying to code/repair) to no avail.

I have read somewhere that if driven through deep water weird shiz can happen, but I would think with all this removed/replaced, this would be it?

I'm really hanging on a prayer here, and anything would be helpful. Thanks for your time.

Attached is my most recent full car coding of ISTA/P.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Printout.pdf (1.13 MB, 28 views)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 06:24 AM   #2
ch1pch4p
Rep

So I'm ripping apart the back to get a look at these wires (that's gotta be it...... Right?) And I'm noticing some heavy condensation under the rear passenger side... Door cushion? Not the seat, but the side panel where it conceals some wire routing and another module.

I'm gonna get in my wiring diagram and see what what is, and see if there's something else I need to check out like grounds.

Also, I looked at those fuses in the back (the 40 amp one with the little black box) and it doesn't... Look popped? Idk what it should look like, but I'm about to just unbolt it and find out.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2024, 07:48 AM   #3
Jolbex
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3

Isnt this module the Vtg (transfer case control unit)?
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 06:46 AM   #4
ch1pch4p
Rep

Nah that module is in the rear--- so you pull off the cover that leads to the tools and the battery first. The there's the cover right up against the back seats, which has three push tabs and two (three?) Of this plastic* 10mm nuts. It's in there with some other module, I'll snap some pics today

Last edited by ch1pch4p; 01-18-2024 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2024, 11:37 AM   #5
ch1pch4p
Rep

So the module all on its own was the one on the side area that was wet with condensation, turns out it's the fuel pump module.

The VTG module is the one on the picture with the battery, with the yellow sticker on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2024, 11:37 PM   #6
ch1pch4p
Rep

So.... An update... After ripping out all this padding and "stuff", keeping the battery on a charge (brand new battery, btw) but didn't know when I'd get to it.... I drove it the other day four times (out and back twice) on the last leg home.... Stated it up .. and all the lights were gone. Just drive it around again, and they are still off.....

WHAT.

So... Potential wet issue, which now I need to find where it was getting (and or still is) wet from. It smells bad from mildew or similar, so ... Something is afoot.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2024, 06:14 PM   #7
ch1pch4p
Rep

Well they came back. Boo. And not without some more fun. Pretty sure it's a water problem, cause the void under the driver seat left foot area was FULL of water (sunroof ... Probably). Electrical hell here we go. Any pointers or am I going to figure it all out on my own?
Appreciate 0