BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-14-2022, 10:33 PM   #1
MJXBIMMER
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 F25 30D

Unhappy Backlash kick when accelerating

Hi Guys
I have recently noticed some sort of jerk/kick in my 2013 F25 30D when accelerating right after engine braking which feels like there is some backlash in a gear or coupling.
This is more evident when cruising at highway speeds and can be replicated just be releasing the gas pedal and accelerating again.

Has anyone experienced this before? Any suggestions how to figure out what this is?

UPDATE:
Well today I tried driving off under heavy acceleration, not launching, and I heard a loud clunk from the back. After that the car did not accelerate properly and I had to coast to safety. Lots of grinding noise from the rear even when the car was not moving. No warning lights went on by the way.

When I had a look, the rear right output drive shaft CV joint (wheel side) was busted. Took a photo as attached.

I am not 100% sure though if this has something to do with the kick I was feeling when accelerating. I am now sourcing spares, fingers crossed the kicking will go away with the new axle drive shaft.
Attached Images

Last edited by MJXBIMMER; 10-21-2022 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2022, 01:12 AM   #2
Bdavi011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 3.5i

To be honest I have felt the same thing. I was thinking it is either the motor mounts, or the bushing mount for the transmission/transfer case.

I haven't replaced either because there are no DIYS for the motor mounts and I don't know how intense the work is because it is an xdrive. Hoping it's not some sort of play in the xdrive system.

Hopefully someone can chime in with experience in the issue.
Appreciate 0