BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-30-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
alexdavies82
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 (E83)

Droning noise issue - Help needed

Hi all,

Some help please

I have a suspect differential on my E83 BMW X3 (2006 Auto). I am getting a droning noise at speeds above 40mph which doesnt appear to be from the wheel bearings.

I checked in ISTA and I do have a fault with the transfer box (it says I need an oil change) but from what I have read this doesn't cause such noises - Is that correct?

I need to solve a small oil leak on the differential anyway and so I was planning to remove the differential anyway to inspect it. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following:

1. Bearings and seals for the differential - BMW doesnt seem to sell the bearings
2. Any recommended diff refurbishers (I am based in the midlands but could travel if needs be)?

Thanks

Alex
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 02:27 PM   #2
X Mon™
Reads books at a 4th grade level; I'm an enabler
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 35d, 335i Msport, X3, 325iX

Garage List
I assume your'e talking the rear differential. If so: https://www.bearings-online.co.uk/it...462014810.html

That said, i would check the rear U-Joint/Cardan Joint on the the driveshaft. They're prone to rust issues, and tend to get tight/try to seize. The result sounds exactly like a bad diff pinion bearing.

As to the transfer case, change the fluid. Having one decide to eat it's bearings is NOT a fun time.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2022, 01:13 AM   #3
Trainer97
C.E.O.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2, 2010 E83 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexdavies82 View Post
Hi all,

Some help please

I have a suspect differential on my E83 BMW X3 (2006 Auto). I am getting a droning noise at speeds above 40mph which doesnt appear to be from the wheel bearings.

I checked in ISTA and I do have a fault with the transfer box (it says I need an oil change) but from what I have read this doesn't cause such noises - Is that correct?

I need to solve a small oil leak on the differential anyway and so I was planning to remove the differential anyway to inspect it. Does anyone have any recommendations for the following:

1. Bearings and seals for the differential - BMW doesnt seem to sell the bearings
2. Any recommended diff refurbishers (I am based in the midlands but could travel if needs be)?

Thanks

Alex
Have you sorted this yet?
I had an issue like you described on my 2010 x3 and it turned out to be muffler related. The flap in the right tail pipe was vibrating. I was convinced it was either wheel bearing(s) or rear diff. Glad it wasn't.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 09:30 PM   #4
ivanchen
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honada2018

check it out: https://en.tradebearings.com/bearing.html Replacing bearings is not a difficult task.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2023, 11:51 PM   #5
jannickz
Registered
Rep
Drives: x3

Worn or damaged differential bearings are a more likely culprit for droning noises at high speeds. Replacing them could potentially solve the problem. You can check it at https://www.bearingforworld.com/
Appreciate 0