BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-14-2011, 09:06 PM   #1
medan
Rep
Drives: F25 2.0D

Auto Engine Off

Greetings fellow xbimmers,

New owner of the x signing on. Hope I will be able to contribute and learn in this community

Just received delivery of the x two days ago.

Got a quick question. Can we set the auto engine off to "always off"? Since roads where I live are jammed with traffic 101% of the time, and the engine would end up turning off and on probably at least 50 times during my trip from home to work.

I tend to forget to switch it off when I start driving, so I was wondering whether there's a way to set it always off.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, mine's an Alpine White with Red Brown Nevada leather. Will post up some pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #2
RSchneider
Private First Class
Austria
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive30d

Quote:
Originally Posted by medan View Post
Greetings fellow xbimmers,

New owner of the x signing on. Hope I will be able to contribute and learn in this community

Just received delivery of the x two days ago.

Got a quick question. Can we set the auto engine off to "always off"? Since roads where I live are jammed with traffic 101% of the time, and the engine would end up turning off and on probably at least 50 times during my trip from home to work.

I tend to forget to switch it off when I start driving, so I was wondering whether there's a way to set it always off.

Thanks in advance.

Oh, mine's an Alpine White with Red Brown Nevada leather. Will post up some pictures soon.
No, there is no regular "always off" option.

After now about 3700km/2300mls I still don't like it, and I press the button right after the start button. Only at night I usually keep it on since that orange light is really bright.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I don't have the Stop/Start feature on my US X3. From what I've read from those in other countries who do have the feature, it cannot be permanently turned off. You must turn it off each time that you start the car. A friend who just purchased a new US 535i that does have the Start/Stop feature tells me the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
medan
Rep

Guess I'll have to live with it then

Thanks for the replies!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:37 PM   #5
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

There are a several "features" that can be modified by a BMW service technician who has access to the right interface equipment (such as adding extra key remotes, resetting brake pad condition and resetting the battery installation date). Since the Start/Stop function is not sold on US F25's, I have no idea if it might be a function that can be "overridden" by a dealer-only control.

You may want to discuss this with your dealership service adviser (not the sales person since they seldom know anything about the vehicle function in any detail). It's a "long-shot", but it can't hurt to ask.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:49 PM   #6
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I would find out if it can be coded to reverse the default setting (press if you do want StartStop)
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #7
medan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
There are a several "features" that can be modified by a BMW service technician who has access to the right interface equipment (such as adding extra key remotes, resetting brake pad condition and resetting the battery installation date). Since the Start/Stop function is not sold on US F25's, I have no idea if it might be a function that can be "overridden" by a dealer-only control.

You may want to discuss this with your dealership service adviser (not the sales person since they seldom know anything about the vehicle function in any detail). It's a "long-shot", but it can't hurt to ask.
Yeah, I might do that.

I did ask the sales person, and as expected, he said it's the default setting and there's nothing they can do about it.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 12:00 AM   #8
medan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
I would find out if it can be coded to reverse the default setting (press if you do want StartStop)
Would / can the dealership do that? Would be a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 02:07 AM   #9
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

sometimes usefull , most times annoying
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 03:46 AM   #10
Ural
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 20d

I turn it off in slow stop-go type of traffic and activate auto hold, so car does not stop and start for each 2-3 second intervals plus I use the brake pedal less thanks to the AH . However,on all other occasions including in heavy traffic where you mostly stop, I always leave start/stop on. I think it helps improve my mileage and anytime I want it not kick in I can do it while braking to stop, or simply move the wheel a little before the car completely stops. Not a big deal and you get used to it very fast. After all, it's worth the little extra effort for what you gain for fuel consumption and the idea that you are polluting less.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanoski View Post
sometimes usefull , most times annoying
+1 I find myself trying too hard to regulate it with the brake pedal pressure but it will catch you out and stop when you don't want it to. I switch it off most of the time now (if I remember to)

You would only be able to change its default on/off behaviour if BMW have exposed a switch, and then you'd need someone to code the car for you. Not easy. Defaulting the Dynamic Drive Control to Sport is also up there on the X3 owners wishlist.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0