BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-26-2011, 10:39 AM   #23
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggy1969 View Post
I had a chip on an Astra I had years ago, 120,000 miles in 3 years and no mechanical problems, always removed for service and no issues, but has anyone chipped a F25 X3 yet?
Glad to see there's support for the D models. My one friend has a 335d with a tune and it's absolutely insane how much tq it produces.
2006 BMW 330i - //M rep kit with custom exhaust, H&R springs, 19" VMR - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 03:11 PM   #24
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Simple is as simple does. Why not just buy a faster truck then?
maybe because they cost more? maybe because they get worse mpg? maybe because it doesnt look as good as the x3?

for the x3's price point it can compete against trucks in a class above it. with minimal investments. i think it cool that a small suv can blow some nice sports cars away! some people like to drive something quick while also having that utility. q5,glk,xc60, are snails.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:07 PM   #25
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

The issue is with balance. It's a truck, it weighs a lot, it has a high CoG. It still won't go round corners. So you blow the sports car off (but what, a Miata?) on the straight and he walks around you on the corners. You would be far better off buying a used Audi S4 Avant, or used E63 wagon, than chipping an X3. But if it makes you happy to spend your money that way (and the tuners love people like you) then go ahead and do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 05:23 PM   #26
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
The issue is with balance. It's a truck, it weighs a lot, it has a high CoG. It still won't go round corners. So you blow the sports car off (but what, a Miata?) on the straight and he walks around you on the corners. You would be far better off buying a used Audi S4 Avant, or used E63 wagon, than chipping an X3. But if it makes you happy to spend your money that way (and the tuners love people like you) then go ahead and do it.
So why did you opt for the 35i instead of the 28i?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:07 PM   #27
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
So why did you opt for the 35i instead of the 28i?

Chef's point is that the X3 is produced with engines that match the car's inherent dynamics. The issue is whether the X3's transmission is designed to cope with the extra torque, or whether the brakes will be pushed harder or whether the suspension can handle the presumably higher cornering speeds, or whether the cooling system will manage the higher stresses. I guess this will all be answered when the X3M comes out. If there are no alterations to suspension, brakes, transmission etc then it's probably ok to mod it.

My second car is a 2005 Porsche Boxster. If I want to go for a hoon through the forest I'll take the Boxster because that's what it's built for. But to give you an example of the limits of a car, it is accepted practice that if you want to track a Porsche then you should upgrade the oil pickup system as a bare minimum because the porsche (I'm talking normal road porsches) are not built to withstand the g forces effect on oil supply of the race track cornering speeds. In other words, you can oil starve the engine and blow it up; a very expensive exercise. And that is from a car supposedly built for racing! So you see, there are very real consequences to making a car go faster or even just driving fast.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 07:39 PM   #28
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
by no means is this truck getting tracked or anywhere close to being tracked. But to have a faster engine or to gain more horsepower does not mean its my sports car either. Plus, you're going to need a lot of speed for this car to flip.

i have a 335i that can turn, but why not have a truck that can be quick too? There is a dynamic suspension with a SPORT+ in the menu for a reason. This is a bmw; its meant to be a drivers car. if you wanted to be boring then you should have gotten a mercedes or an audi.

and i think your crazy if you dont think this car can handle a little more hp. the transmission should be fine, brakes are totally dependent on drivers input, and i dont see why anyone would think this truck would turn better if you just put in a tune.

the x3m im sure probably isnt going to pack the x5m or x6m engine(v8TT). maybe just put the 1 M coupes n54 engine.

and if your argument is based on save moding for a car, then tell that to BMW who makes x5/x6M. AMG trucks, srt8 jeeps,trucks with hemis. wouldnt you be embarrassed if an x3 beat your porsche?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2011, 10:56 PM   #29
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

It's still about balance. You can mod what you like but it's still out of balance unless you do a lot of work on everything. And at that point you might as well have spent the money on something that could do a better all round job to begin with. As to why a 35 not a 28 - it's my wife's car and what she wanted, so I bought it for her. It's used for town driving and long distances, not challenging guys in NOx fed Honda Civics - it's a truck after all.

As to the 911 the last one is gone and I'm on to my next 911 as a restoration project. If any SUV beats me away from the lights, why would I be embarrassed? Why would I care? My self esteem doesn't depend on beating someone away from the lights. And if the guy beats me I'll happily let him go off and have his bragging rights with his mates. It's not about straight line speed but about being an all rounder - good handling, good steering, good brakes, AND good straight line performance - not one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:00 AM   #30
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

Spoke to Steve Dinan at a hi end car shop a couple weeks back and asked if they had any plans on chips or parts for the X3.

Any generation. He politely said no as they had tried at one point, but the return on the R & D just isnt there.

My only hope for a faster SUV/SAV will be the X3 M class.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:15 AM   #31
MattUK
Captain Unsensible
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 M240i Coupe - Estoril

Garage List
2016 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Do these really work?, do you know what parameters are changed on the box/, I heard they up the boost and fuel only, making for problems down the line. Anyone.
I sent them an email months ago and got NO reply to my questions, that says it all to me.
Couple of people in the office have used them and say they are superb, but like you getting through to them either on the phone or via mail has put me off venturing down that path in case i need to speak to them.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 06:49 AM   #32
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattUK View Post
Couple of people in the office have used them and say they are superb, but like you getting through to them either on the phone or via mail has put me off venturing down that path in case i need to speak to them.
They have not replied to me, or answered any questions, so put me off too.
      11-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #33
fiddy yen
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

You're right about balance... it will never have the same balance of a car... but this thread isn't about getting the same balance.

My point is that we're all fairly educated here otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford the things we have. Whether it be the new X3, Porsche, modifications or anything else. Again, I stress that most of us are aware of these things that you are arguing. We're not asking for an opinion of whether we should modify it or not, we simply asking what's available out there for options if one wants more power. I don't disagree that the 35i is plently of power... but some of us want more for the sake of having it.

Regardless of the warnings posted in this forum (which most of us knew), I'm still going to go ahead with doing what I plan. Its a hobby, and its not to prove to anyone... But its the thrill of being able to be slightly different than all the regular X3's out there. I'll still drive my X3 knowing that it's got a higher COG, but i'll love it more coz I made it my own.

Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 03:07 AM   #34
Steve30dMSport
Banned
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 30D M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy yen View Post
You're right about balance... it will never have the same balance of a car... but this thread isn't about getting the same balance.

My point is that we're all fairly educated here otherwise we wouldn't be able to afford the things we have. Whether it be the new X3, Porsche, modifications or anything else. Again, I stress that most of us are aware of these things that you are arguing. We're not asking for an opinion of whether we should modify it or not, we simply asking what's available out there for options if one wants more power. I don't disagree that the 35i is plently of power... but some of us want more for the sake of having it.

Regardless of the warnings posted in this forum (which most of us knew), I'm still going to go ahead with doing what I plan. Its a hobby, and its not to prove to anyone... But its the thrill of being able to be slightly different than all the regular X3's out there. I'll still drive my X3 knowing that it's got a higher COG, but i'll love it more coz I made it my own.

Can't argue with that
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #35
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
My wife has taken her X3 30d MSport on the track.
The only mods we did first was installing a child seat and rear seat entertainment system.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 02:58 AM   #36
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
My wife has taken her X3 30d MSport on the track.
The only mods we did first was installing a child seat and rear seat entertainment system.
I hear the child seats good for 70hp...
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2011, 06:47 PM   #37
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

http://ecuprogram.com/

They have something for the N55. I am wondering what 50 hp and 65 ft/lb will do.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 05:16 PM   #38
ivanoski
F25 X3 2.0 Diesel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW x3 20d 8SpdAUTO BLACK

I wonder if diesel tuning chips work on the 20d
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 02:20 AM   #39
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOOSQ View Post
I hear the child seats good for 70hp...
Fill them with a screaming child and the resulting rise in blood pressure could just do it.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2011, 06:11 PM   #40
OOOSQ
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M / CLA45 AMG SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Fill them with a screaming child and the resulting rise in blood pressure could just do it.
Don't doubt it!
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 02:38 AM   #41
AtlM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

Can we just stop feeding this guy...noone asked your opinion and your cluttering up the thread. End of story. I too have other cars for other purposes including a track car. When I see cars I see their potential and the 35i's engine has some pretty good potential. I personally am not going to track the car its just fun to make it faster(yes, straight line faster). Its my choice

Quote:
It's still about balance. You can mod what you like but it's still out of balance unless you do a lot of work on everything. And at that point you might as well have spent the money on something that could do a better all round job to begin with. As to why a 35 not a 28 - it's my wife's car and what she wanted, so I bought it for her. It's used for town driving and long distances, not challenging guys in NOx fed Honda Civics - it's a truck after all.

As to the 911 the last one is gone and I'm on to my next 911 as a restoration project. If any SUV beats me away from the lights, why would I be embarrassed? Why would I care? My self esteem doesn't depend on beating someone away from the lights. And if the guy beats me I'll happily let him go off and have his bragging rights with his mates. It's not about straight line speed but about being an all rounder - good handling, good steering, good brakes, AND good straight line performance - not one or the other.