BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

10-18-2012, 03:32 PM   #1
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

X3 Road Trip Report

Summary:
The X3 is fantastic vehicle for road trips, plain and simple!

X3:
2013 35i, AW/Beige with Sport, Premium and Tech packages, Heated Seats, Cargo Net, DHP.

Background:
This past weekend we took the X3 on a short road trip. I've owned the X3 for about 3 months, but this was the first opportunity to take off for the weekend. Loading the car is super-easy -- the cargo capacity is ample. Granted, we didn't have much luggage for a weekend trip, but compared to the E46 wagon this car replaced, loading and organizing the load was easy. The storage package makes securing items very simple.

The drive started with the required drive through Los Angeles, which is always an adventure. We were doing fine until we hit the I-5 closure -- all lanes. Who the heck closes an entire freeway? In LA? On a Friday? Anyway, since I had our destination set in the Nav, I just followed the suggested route and we got there easily. The Nav even tells you which lane to be in for transitions, how much the detour adds to your ETA and what time you will arrive. The 'alternate route' feature on the Nav is pretty useful, too.

Our weekend consisted of driving to several locations, with 2-4 passengers, plenty of high temperatures and moderate traffic. The X3 kept us all very comfortable with A/C, DHP set on comfort, plenty of engine power for passing inferior drivers in inferior cars and a great driving experience. The X3 just makes driving a real pleasure. Passengers can enter and exit the car easily, it holds a ton of stuff, the drive is smooth, powerful and balanced and the thing just looks really good, too. My guests really enjoyed the large sunroof. They were very surprised when the cover opened all the way back and they could see how large it was!

I found the car to be a worthy road trip companion and I am looking forward to many such adventures. The combination of power, luxury, styling and engineering make this car a winner. I've owned a few different Bimmers and this one is by far the best! It is a keeper.

Niggles:
The cargo cover has a light rattle at times, so we'll have to do a rattle hunt on that. The rear window is a bit small, but the backup and top-view cameras make up for that in spades. The sport seats should have a memory setting for the passenger, too, not just the driver. That's all I can niggle about -- the car is that good!

Favorite feature:
It starts at the front license plate and ends at the rear bumper.

Getting home was an easier, late night drive with no issues. The beautiful Alpine White paint is a little dirty after the weekend, so a wash is in order. Even washing this thing is a pleasure! Life is rough, but I'm dealing with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
philtrick123
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBA

I hope you love your wife/ partner as much as your X3
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:36 PM   #3
3Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philtrick123 View Post
I hope you love your wife/ partner as much as your X3
I love my wife much more than I do my X3, but you guys don't get a report on that.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 10:37 PM   #4
DonC
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 3.5i M sport, etc

I drove to Portland Or. last weekend and although it's only a 3 hour drive I found the X3 to be all that I hoped it to be. Avg mpg until the 70 mph zone was 32.7 (cruse echo pro setting) but once the speed increased the mpg went down. I settled in at 73 mph and got 30.4 for the remainder of the trip. Portland traffic (on a Friday at 5 PM) is stop and go so the mpg dropped as did the avg mph. Total RT was 28 mpg which is OK by me.
2018 i3S
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
Rodion
First Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25)

We did a 6700km (4200 miles) trip around Europe and a long story short:

Wonderful

I even tested the high speed on an Autobahn near Berlin: the high speed was 210km/h and reduced to that. As on a downhill the acceleration stopped right there.

The speed was checked from GPS.
Appreciate 0