BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

12-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #23
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
WHY Apple ignore MAP ???
Not sure on the reasons but they are losing market share to Android and the last iPhone version added nothing worth upgrading for IMO, so they need to buck up their ideas!

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #24
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Not sure on the reasons but they are losing market share to Android and the last iPhone version added nothing worth upgrading for IMO, so they need to buck up their ideas!
Every one, please ask Apple for iPhone MAP:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #25
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayenne GTS

Quote:
I do agree bluetooth MAP support (along with Flash) are missing links with iPhones, but the 4S is an amazing piece of technology and I love it's BMW Apps integration with the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #26
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
I do agree bluetooth MAP support (along with Flash) are missing links with iPhones, but the 4S is an amazing piece of technology and I love it's BMW Apps integration with the vehicle.
Is there any difference in BMW Apps integration between an iPhone 4 running on iOS 5 and a 4S? I thought the only changes were Siri, dual core processor (to support Siri) and a higher resolution camera (which is pretty pointless as the lens isn't really good enough to take photos at that high a resolution)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #27
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

I just did the upgrade.
Now streaming music works with my Motorola Droid-X (Verizon).
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #28
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 28i 2011

Quote:
Is there any difference in BMW Apps integration between an iPhone 4 running on iOS 5 and a 4S? I thought the only changes were Siri, dual core processor (to support Siri) and a higher resolution camera (which is pretty pointless as the lens isn't really good enough to take photos at that high a resolution)
No difference, you are right.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 12:14 AM   #29
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The lens was upgraded in the 4S. http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...hutterbugs.ars . Dual core helps everything run more smoothly, not just Siri. And now you can have 64GB of storage for music or whatever else. So might be worth the upgrade for some.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #30
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonagon View Post
The lens was upgraded in the 4S. http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...hutterbugs.ars . Dual core helps everything run more smoothly, not just Siri. And now you can have 64GB of storage for music or whatever else. So might be worth the upgrade for some.
Yeah, fair points and this is a little but regardless of how much they improve the quality of the lens, its limiting factor is its size. My DSLR takes photos at the same resolution but a small camera phone lens will always be inferior.

Dual core adds multi-threading which doesn't necessarily make things smoother or faster. It may do in some situations but it all depends on how the software is coded really. I'll reserve judgment until I see some material improvements.

And to play devil's advocate you'll need more space as you're unnecessarily creating images and videos at too high a resolution.

With all of this mind, I'm really in no hurry to upgrade my iPhone 4 to a 4S. We'll see if they bring out anything worthwhile next summer.

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2011, 04:11 PM   #31
nonagon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yup we've gone OT. If you have the 4 and don't care about dual core, Siri, more storage, better antennae and a better camera, etc. wait until the 5 comes out. I came from a bb and an samsung epic so it was very much an upgrade. Back to the topic!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #32
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
Yes phone answering issue using button on steering is resolved in this update Can someone else confirm it too?
Haven't applied the update yet, but looking forward to this bug being fixed. For whatever reason, it won't let me apply the update in "radio ready" mode. It wants me to turn on the ignition first. Seems odd to have to run the engine to apply the update.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:57 PM   #33
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
Haven't applied the update yet, but looking forward to this bug being fixed. For whatever reason, it won't let me apply the update in "radio ready" mode. It wants me to turn on the ignition first. Seems odd to have to run the engine to apply the update.
May have just been a blip but I noticed earlier that it didn't work again. I think whilst using the iPhone video which may be the reason. Not had time to try to reproduce the problem

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #34
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
May have just been a blip but I noticed earlier that it didn't work again. I think whilst using the iPhone video which may be the reason. Not had time to try to reproduce the problem
Pretty certain that you can't be using any telematics at all when applying the update. It will essentially reboot that system, but any use of it during update would probably prevent success.

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:05 PM   #35
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
I have upgraded. Don't need to run the engine just need the ignition on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:08 PM   #36
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Pretty certain that you can't be using any telematics at all when applying the update. It will essentially reboot that system, but any use of it during update would probably prevent success.
No, sorry, I meant the update worked OK but I couldn't answer the phone using the steering wheel button again earlier (but it did work yesterday when I tested it post update). I'm hoping it was because of watching a video at the same time but it may just have become an annoyingly intermittent bug

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 04:10 PM   #37
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No, sorry, I meant the update worked OK but I couldn't answer the phone using the steering wheel button again earlier (but it did work yesterday when I tested it post update). I'm hoping it was because of watching a video at the same time but it may just have become an annoyingly intermittent bug
Ah.... gotcha. It's probably because your entire instrument panel and steering wheel are on the wrong side of the car!

Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 10:29 AM   #38
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Was hoping for addition of track forward/backward control via the thumb wheel on the steering wheel for connected iPods/iPhones. No such luck.
      12-31-2011, 12:22 PM   #39
gabrielddc
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i 2011 / X3 28i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Was hoping for addition of track forward/backward control via the thumb wheel on the steering wheel for connected iPods/iPhones. No such luck.
I agree!
I don't know why we can't do this when streaming using bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:52 PM   #40
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Won't work for me

Keeps asking me to login to something I'm not registered for. I'm in the US and have an iPhone 3GS. Doesn't make sense to me - is there a US version in English?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Chef View Post
Keeps asking me to login to something I'm not registered for. I'm in the US and have an iPhone 3GS. Doesn't make sense to me - is there a US version in English?
If you got upgrade file using your VIN number, that should be the right version for you.

What message are you getting?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #42
April1
Love All
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrielddc View Post
I agree!
I don't know why we can't do this when streaming using bluetooth.
If your stream display song 1/1 then you can't, else it's possible doing it with thumb wheel on steering while on Bluetooth.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 03:46 PM   #43
Le Chef
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 35i

Not even close

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokbhargava View Post
If you got upgrade file using your VIN number, that should be the right version for you.

What message are you getting?
I can't even login - it just takes me to a page of German that I can't read...

What's the correct path to get this upgrade if you live in the US? I can't see anything about it on the BMWUSA site.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 04:01 PM   #44
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

www.bmw.com/update (not bmwusa.com)
Re-select English at the bottom and it should take you to the VIN prompt.
Appreciate 0