BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #23
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
if only E90Fleet were still with us... he would know all the answers.
Who was he and what happened to him?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #24
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
E90Fleet was one of the original members of this forum. A gentleman in South Africa who knew absolutely everything about BMWs. His access to technical information was amazing. A couple of years ago he stopped posting. I have always hoped it was just due to lack of interest and not any misfortune. He is sorely missed.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 01:08 PM   #25
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
So I ended up calling Momentum and talking to a rep about the 28i M-Sport being sold on eBay. I asked her to confirm if the Normal, Sport, Sport+ switch was indeed in the car as I was skeptical that they may have used different pictures for the vehicle. Her manager went and looked at the car being sold and confirmed that the switch is in the vehicle.

Then she looked at her internal system to check the configuration. I asked to her to send it to me and it's pasted below. Low and behold, Dynamic Damper Control is a part of M-Sport on a 28i!!!! After seeing the option list, I checked the sticker price picture again. I didn't see it earlier but the 4th line under M-Sport Package you can see that DDC is on the sticker!
Yeah but this still doesn't prove its the damping. In the X3 manual it says that DDC "Dynamic Driving Control" is in the sport packages and adjust the transmission to Normal, Sport, and Sport +. So the button might just be there for transmission adjustment, Suspension is Normal or Sport (Sport + doesn't effect suspension with damping), this might still not be included.

BMW is really deceiving by having DDC mean two different things with similar functions, Dynamic DRIVING control and Dynamic Damping Control.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 02:22 PM   #26
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Ah, the mystery continues until someone gets their 35i M Sport delivered.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:39 PM   #27
BXM3W
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 RX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
Yeah but this still doesn't prove its the damping. In the X3 manual it says that DDC "Dynamic Driving Control" is in the sport packages and adjust the transmission to Normal, Sport, and Sport +. So the button might just be there for transmission adjustment, Suspension is Normal or Sport (Sport + doesn't effect suspension with damping), this might still not be included.

BMW is really deceiving by having DDC mean two different things with similar functions, Dynamic DRIVING control and Dynamic Damping Control.
From the reps configuration tool 0223 is part of the option list, which she did confirm via email that this is included in the M-sport package. Option 0223 is Dynamic Damper Control. It's also seen on the sticker (though a bit fuzzy) but clear enough that you can see "Damper Control". I agree that DDC is confusing as there are two different meanings for it, and I even sought clarification on another thread, but I use DDC for this thread as Dynamic Damper control. As explained on another thread, it's believed that Dynamic Driving Control is the same as Performance Control, and this on a 35i is believed to not have Dynamic Damping Control even though it does include the "switch". No wonder there's so much confusion (and skepticism) about what the switch does!

Like LEDZEP said, once we get a few delivered we'll have our answers.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 03:48 PM   #28
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM3W View Post
From the reps configuration tool 0223 is part of the option list, which she did confirm via email that this is included in the M-sport package. Option 0223 is Dynamic Damper Control. It's also seen on the sticker (though a bit fuzzy) but clear enough that you can see "Damper Control". I agree that DDC is confusing as there are two different meanings for it, and I even sought clarification on another thread, but I use DDC for this thread as Dynamic Damper control. As explained on another thread, it's believed that Dynamic Driving Control is the same as Performance Control, and this on a 35i is believed to not have Dynamic Damping Control even though it does include the "switch". No wonder there's so much confusion (and skepticism) about what the switch does!

Like LEDZEP said, once we get a few delivered we'll have our answers.
okay, I looked at the picture a little closer and you are right it does appear to say damper control and not just DDC, well lets hope the US and Canada have the same M Sport options in the package, if so this should be the answer to the question. I mean if this is an actual delivered 28i with M Sport and no DHP added, then it appears you do get damping control. Meaning BMW is asking $1300 for the steering option alone on the DHP package since both performance control and damping would be included on the M Sport.

A NEW question would also be, since the BMWUSA.com site no longer shows damping control with the DHP package, does that mean you can't get it unless you get the M Sport package? that would throw in an interesting twist! Maybe for the 2012 model year they will have all this figured out.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
CdnE90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 11 X3 x35 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
okay, I looked at the picture a little closer and you are right it does appear to say damper control and not just DDC, well lets hope the US and Canada have the same M Sport options in the package, if so this should be the answer to the question. I mean if this is an actual delivered 28i with M Sport and no DHP added, then it appears you do get damping control. Meaning BMW is asking $1300 for the steering option alone on the DHP package since both performance control and damping would be included on the M Sport.

A NEW question would also be, since the BMWUSA.com site no longer shows damping control with the DHP package, does that mean you can't get it unless you get the M Sport package? that would throw in an interesting twist! Maybe for the 2012 model year they will have all this figured out.

Oh man, I hope, hope, HOPE that BMW includes DDC in the M Sport Pkg. That would awesome. Right now, without DDC, I don't see the value or the point in the M Sport. A few cosmetic touches don't equal an M car to me. An M should at least have a really good sports suspension, and I believe the DDC would do that.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #30
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
Oh man, I hope, hope, HOPE that BMW includes DDC in the M Sport Pkg. That would awesome. Right now, without DDC, I don't see the value or the point in the M Sport. A few cosmetic touches don't equal an M car to me. An M should at least have a really good sports suspension, and I believe the DDC would do that.
The MSport package is not an attempt to make a "M" car, a la M3, M5, etc, out of the X3. It is a package often offered on BMWs and is not to be confused with the true M cars, which are different from their "source cars" in many ways, ie, the M3 is not the same vehicle as the 3 Series in engine, suspension, sometimes gearboxes, etc.

The MSport pkg on the X3 offers some body styling, larger/different wheels, a higher top speed, suspension adjustments with the Dyn Comfort/Performance Control option, a beefier steering wheel, anthacite headliner, sport tranny, sport seats, etc.

You are mistaken if you think adding a MSport pkg makes it a "M" car or an
X3M - not the case. An X3M may come in the future, but I don't recall BMW saying anything about that yet.
      04-28-2011, 06:42 PM   #31
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnE90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
The MSport package is not an attempt to make a "M" car, a la M3, M5, etc, out of the X3. It is a package often offered on BMWs and is not to be confused with the true M cars, which are different from their "source cars" in many ways, ie, the M3 is not the same vehicle as the 3 Series in engine, suspension, sometimes gearboxes, etc.

The MSport pkg on the X3 offers some body styling, larger/different wheels, a higher top speed, suspension adjustments with the Dyn Comfort/Performance Control option, a beefier steering wheel, anthacite headliner, sport tranny, sport seats, etc.

You are mistaken if you think adding a MSport pkg makes it a "M" car or an
X3M - not the case. An X3M may come in the future, but I don't recall BMW saying anything about that yet.
Right. I think the spirit of what CdnE90 is saying is that the M Sport package 'should' include some performance related elements... and as tuco44 has pointed out it does - different transmission (or variant thereof) and higher top speed limiter (like I'm going to blow through 130 on my way to 150... in a SUV!). But I think we all agree that DDC would certainly be a nice touch.

I just looked at the sticker for my X5 M Sport, and the M Sport package included "Adaptive Drive" which is what DDC was called for it - although it is not as robust (choice is simply "normal" or "sport"). Of course, the M Sport package was more than twice the price of this package...

Oh, and FWIW I already have my black "///M" license plate frame ready to bolt on. Call me a poser if you must... but until there is a true X3M I figure it's legit.

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #32
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 / '20 X5 M50i

Garage List
  [0.00]
DHP & M Sport - New Info

I think this may answer the DHP and M Sport question. I had my dealer update my Vehicle Inquiry/Design order today and got a print out. It shows that Dynamic Damper Control and Performance Control are included in Option 337 M Sport Package. Option ZDH w/ M Sport only adds variable sport steering (or active steering as it is called on all other models). This is for a 35i.
I attached a scan of the build order.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:44 PM   #33
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
I have a VIR for mine and it does NOT include 223 under M Sport. Not happy if they are just arbitrarily adding it to some and not others.

EDIT: re-reading your VIR again, I see that you have the DHP option. Not sure we're apples to apples then, because it might just move that option down under M Sport, even though it is the DHP package that provides it.

THIS IS WAY TOO CONFUSING... C'MON BMW!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LEDZEP; 04-28-2011 at 08:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #34
X3inator
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

This is from the BMW Canada website. There are at least three things we can learn from this:

1) DDC is available (does that mean included or optional?) on M-Sport models, at least in Canada.
2) DDC stands for two different things?
3) BMW needs to work on their grammar

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #35
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I have a VIR for mine and it does NOT include 223 under M Sport. Not happy if they are just arbitrarily adding it to some and not others.

EDIT: re-reading your VIR again, I see that you have the DHP option. Not sure we're apples to apples then, because it might just move that option down under M Sport, even though it is the DHP package that provides it.

THIS IS WAY TOO CONFUSING... C'MON BMW!!!!!!!!
Good point, I was thinking of dropping DHP since I don't think I need active steering...I will call the CA tomorrow and have them run it again without DHP and to correct the Fineline Sienna mistake to Brushed AL.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:19 PM   #36
Boy_with_Joy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83;e92 M3;X3 35i MSpt;X1 MSpt

Alpine White 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i with M Sport Package

I just took delivery of a Alpine White 2011 BMW X3 xDrive35i with M Sport Package at 6.30 pm today in Central NJ.

This is what listed under M Sport package on the window sticker (see attached pics). I do not see DDC or anything like that. If you need additional details, let me know. More pics later.

Also, I am getting a company vehicle and I do not have a real need for this one. If anyone interested in this vehicle let me know.

M Sport Package

-19'' M Alloy Double Spoke Wheel
-Sport automatic Transmission
- Performance control
- Sport suspension delete
-High gloss roof rails
-Fineline wave wood trim
-Sport seats
-Sport steering wheel with paddles
-Aerodynamic kit
-Shadow line exterior trim
-Anthracite headliner
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #37
DaleWA
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Wicked cool looking. Congrats!

Bummer about the DDC...but still odd that the 28i sticker shot showed it under M Sport.

The mystery remains!
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 09:31 PM   #38
tuco44
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive M Perf Edtn

LEDZEP - "Oh, and FWIW I already have my black "///M" license plate frame ready to bolt on. Call me a poser if you must... but until there is a true X3M I figure it's legit."

Yes, likewise I have my M Keychain from my M3 and I will be using it on the new 35i. Call me a poser as well..........

As to the rest of the discussion/speculation here......the beat goes on, and I am firmly in the wait and see camp now. My car should be here about May 8 or so.
      04-28-2011, 09:33 PM   #39
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuco44 View Post
LEDZEP - "Oh, and FWIW I already have my black "///M" license plate frame ready to bolt on. Call me a poser if you must... but until there is a true X3M I figure it's legit."

Yes, likewise I have my M Keychain from my M3 and I will be using it on the new 35i. Call me a poser as well..........

As to the rest of the discussion/speculation here......the beat goes on, and I am firmly in the wait and see camp now. My car should be here about May 8 or so.
Posers.
      04-28-2011, 10:14 PM   #40
carlili4190
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Nissan 350Z, 11 BMW X3

Can you pleaseeee post more pictures of the outside???? I really want to see the body of the car...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #41
F48Hawk
OFP
Rep
Drives: 2000 F48 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlili4190 View Post
Can you pleaseeee post more pictures of the outside???? I really want to see the body of the car...
+1
Also, are the 369M wheels staggered or not? Thanks for the post...
2007 E83 3.0si TS - Sold
2000 E46 323i AW - Sold
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #42
Calafer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Just checked the BMWUSA website and if you build a 35i it immediately shows DCC included at no charge!! If you build a 28i its not included. This would explain why its shown as part of the 28i M-Sport package and not in the 35i package.

Also noticed that you can now order the 19" 309 wheels with all season run flats without having to order the Sports activity Package. If you want 19" 309's with mixed performance tires then you have to add the Sports activity package. Ordering either of these wheel tire combinations automatically cancels the M-Sport package.

..man they like to make it confusing...!!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 12:56 AM   #43
Calafer
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3

Just realized that the "Dynamic Handling Package" has to be selected in order for the "Dynamic Damper Control" (DDC) to appear at no cost:
(not DCC as previously posted)

Base MSRP$41,050
Alpine White$0
Black Leatherette$0
Fineline Siena wood trim$0
Dynamic Handling Package$1,400
Dynamic Damper Control$0
Destination & Handling:$875

If you add the M Sport Package it automatically adds the Premium Package
and removes the DDC:

Base MSRP$41,050
Alpine White$0
Black Nevada Leather$0
Fineline Siena wood trim$0
Dynamic Handling Package$1,300
M Sport Package$3,000
• Premium Package$3,450
Destination & Handling:$875

keep in mind that this information is from the BMWUSA website for U.S. orders
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 01:10 AM   #44
colton_matthias
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by X3Hawk View Post
+1
Also, are the 369M wheels staggered or not? Thanks for the post...
+1!!!
Appreciate 0