BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-30-2011, 01:41 PM   #45
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Reply from BMW UK. I'm pleasantly surprised with how comprehensive it is

Quote:
Thank you for your online enquiry dated January 21, 2011.

I understand you would like confirmation on what hardware and software will be needed for the introduction of 6NR, mobile application preparation. I can confirm that this will be installed into your vehicle via a software update priced at £130.00 including VAT, with the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertibles being first on the release list. In order to have 6NR installed, your vehicle will need to also have the BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation system (option 609), Bluetooth telephone preparation (option 633), USB audio interface (option 6FL) and Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF).

The new option further enable iPhone integration into the vehicle, available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. The iPhone is connected to the vehicle via a new snap-in adaptor, which will be available from the beginning of next month from the parts department at your local BMW Approved Dealership. Features of the option are enabled via a new iPhone application 'BMW Connected' that will be available to download from iTunes for free. Some confirmed supported features of the application are:

-Access to social networks Facebook and Twitter in the vehicle
-Stream web radio stations into the vehicle
-Operation of music playback with the Apple iPhone user interface on the vehicle control display

I trust this information answers your query satisfactorily. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Footnote on this one for UK orders. All of prerequisites listed are all part of the professional multimedia package already (633, 6NF and 6FL).

Also the iPhone versions listed here are slightly different to the US dealer bulletin above because it says only iPhone 3GS and 4 are compatible. I think the US bulletin is wrong and that the iPhone 3G is not compatible, because I think it needs multitasking.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #46
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

From M3 forum (http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=103) :
Apparently, this bulletin came out from BMW this morning (01-29-2011) to dealers:

BMW ConnectedDrive: BMW Apps (6NR)
In keeping with BMW’s leadership in technological advancement, BMW is proud to announce the availability of “BMW Apps” as a single option (6NR). Coming as the next advancement in BMW’s ConnectedDrive strategy, BMW Apps will provide a new, unique way of connecting the driver, vehicle and iPhone. For the first time owners will be able to experience the latest app technology via iDrive. Please be advised that adding option 6NR to any vehicle will automatically add Smartphone Integration (6NF) without an additional charge. 6NF will no longer be available as a standalone option.
At the time of launch, BMW Apps will offer three functional areas (Apps, PlugIn, and Video Playback).
Apps will consist of the BMW Connected App and BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps. The BMW Connected App is a free package available for download at Apple’s App Store and currently includes Web Radio, Facebook and Twitter. Announcements for BMW Certified 3rd Party Apps will be forthcoming.
PlugIn allows the user to take advantage of Apple iTunes features (such as Genius, album art, compiling playlists, etc) that were previously unavailable. In essence, this function brings the look and feel of Apple’s iPod interface to the iDrive display (requires snap in adapter).
Video Playback enables the user to view any video playback from their iPhone via the iDrive display when the vehicle is stationary (requires snap in adapter).

BMW Apps will be available on all BMW vehicles as of March except for X3, X5, and X6 models, where availability will begin as of April. iPhone models supported include 3G, 3GS or 4 enabled with the “BMW Connected” app available free of charge at Apple’s App Store.
More details will be provided in the upcoming bulletin “B-1-0111-12-All-02 BMW Apps (6NR).”

Is there a equivalent option for the X3 of the 'Smartphone Integration (6NF)'?

I ordered the Technology Package (ZNE) including those options:
- BMW On-Board Navigation (609)
- BMW Assist with Bluetooth (639)
- BMW TeleServices (6AA)
- Control BMW TeleServices (6AB)
- BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth (6NL)
- Combox controller (6VC)
Are those options same as the 'Smartphone Integration (6NF)'?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:21 PM   #47
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M550iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post

Is there a equivalent option for the X3 of the 'Smartphone Integration (6NF)'?

I ordered the Technology Package (ZNE) including those options:
- BMW On-Board Navigation (609)
- BMW Assist with Bluetooth (639)
- BMW TeleServices (6AA)
- Control BMW TeleServices (6AB)
- BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth (6NL)
- Combox controller (6VC)
Are those options same as the 'Smartphone Integration (6NF)'?

Smartphone Integration (6NF) is a separate, cost based option. If you did not order it, you do not get it as part of a package. Beginning with April production on X cars, 6NF will be rolled into 6NR in some fashion as stated above.
      02-01-2011, 08:28 PM   #48
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksoze View Post
Smartphone Integration (6NF) is a separate, cost based option. If you did not order it, you do not get it as part of a package. Beginning with April production on X cars, 6NF will be rolled into 6NR in some fashion as stated above.
There is no 6NF in Canada. Is there a 6NF that can be ordered now in the US ?
Is the Canadian "(6NL) BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth" same as the 6NF in the US ?

Last edited by haldol; 02-01-2011 at 08:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #49
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

6NF is the code for Smartphone Integration in the US, which I understand to be the "cradle" in the armrest without the specific insert to match your particular phone.
      02-01-2011, 08:45 PM   #50
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
There is no 6NF in Canada. Is there a 6NF that can be ordered now in the US ?
Is the Canadian "(6NL) BMW Assist w/extend Bluetooth" same as the 6NF in the US ?
Smartphone Integration (6NF) is the option for a phone cradle in the armrest, just like the one in the picture on the Canadian BMW X3 site. You may be confusing 6NR, "BMW Apps" which is described above. They are two separate options being combined into 6NR when the new 6NR is available on the X series in April. I do not know how you order 6NF in Canada, but they show a picture of it and it does not seem to be part of the packages you described.

As a side note, the BMWUSA site seems a lot better than the other international BMW sites.
      02-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #51
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
But are there any real answers to the question I think many of us have: if we have a car on order with the 6NF option chosen, and the 6NR is REALLY important to us - for whatever reason, should one delay the order or can their car be updated.

I know the point is in discussion in two different threads here, but as someone who has negotiated the price and is 1-2 weeks away from "no more changes" I am really curious about this.

Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting until April to be assured of getting this function as I have a car to drive and am not coming off a leased vehicle.

(also, this years brutal winter wont beat the car up either ! )
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #52
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
6NF is the code for Smartphone Integration in the US, which I understand to be the "cradle" in the armrest without the specific insert to match your particular phone.
Quote:
Smartphone Integration (6NF) is the option for a phone cradle in the armrest, just like the one in the picture on the Canadian BMW X3 site. You may be confusing 6NR, "BMW Apps" which is described above. They are two separate options being combined into 6NR when the new 6NR is available on the X series in April. I do not know how you order 6NF in Canada, but they show a picture of it and it does not seem to be part of the packages you described.
Canadian (6VC) Combox Controller = US (6NF) Smartphone Integration ?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #53
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
But are there any real answers to the question I think many of us have: if we have a car on order with the 6NF option chosen, and the 6NR is REALLY important to us - for whatever reason, should one delay the order or can their car be updated.

I know the point is in discussion in two different threads here, but as someone who has negotiated the price and is 1-2 weeks away from "no more changes" I am really curious about this.

Personally, I wouldn't mind waiting until April to be assured of getting this function as I have a car to drive and am not coming off a leased vehicle.
As I understand, the 6NR is a software option. If you already have the 6NF, you can ordered the 6NR later.

My X3 will be delivered mid-April. Hope I'm not wrong on this!
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 09:17 PM   #54
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I don't believe Combox Controller = Smartphone Integration. Previous models without the Combox also had Smartphone Integration. My understanding is that Smartphone Integration is only the cradle interface in the armrest that provides a particular connection to iDrive (different from the USB cable) and to the vehicles antenna to augment phone signal.
      02-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #55
apw2607
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jijioben View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
I just want Pandora to play on my radio! That's all!

It would seem easy enough to have anything music-related: ipod, pandora, Internet radio, NPR, etc.. that's on your iphone/ipod to play through your car stereo.

Personally, that's all I really want.
I haven't tried this but I thought that a new combox-based BMW with Bluetooth preparation should work regardless of 6NR, if all you want is audio. In my Ford, the Sync software takes a Bluetooth stream and puts it on the speakers. It does not matter if the stream comes from the iPod app, video, or a streaming service (I use Leo Laporte's TWIT TV app because Pandora is not available in Canada). I would imagine that all the iPhone sees is a receiver for its headphones output, which can be anything, even more so since iOS 4.x.

The difference is in displaying the album art, so that you know what's currently playing on Pandora, and possibly even giving you the chance to like an author or skip a song. That cannot be done at present. At least, this is my understanding from reading the docs because I did not have the chance to try it. I intend to though, as soon as my X3 is in my hands...
Pandora recently supports mini connected providing support for pandora to be selectable as a audio source in the control display as well as being able to select a pandora channel, see track info and art work as well as select next track.

In bmws tech note it talks about additional 3rd party apps outside it's own app being supported.

Therefore I don't think it's a stretch to assume pandora support in bmws will be coming very soon.

Failing that if you just stream pandora to the bmw via bt from your handset it does support next track ... so long as your handset supports a newish version of the bt a2dp streaming profile.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #56
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
Quote:
Reply from BMW UK. I'm pleasantly surprised with how comprehensive it is

Quote:
Thank you for your online enquiry dated January 21, 2011.

I understand you would like confirmation on what hardware and software will be needed for the introduction of 6NR, mobile application preparation. I can confirm that this will be installed into your vehicle via a software update priced at £130.00 including VAT, with the BMW 1 Series Coupe and Convertibles being first on the release list. In order to have 6NR installed, your vehicle will need to also have the BMW Professional Multimedia Navigation system (option 609), Bluetooth telephone preparation (option 633), USB audio interface (option 6FL) and Telephone USB audio interface (option 6NF).

The new option further enable iPhone integration into the vehicle, available for the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4. The iPhone is connected to the vehicle via a new snap-in adaptor, which will be available from the beginning of next month from the parts department at your local BMW Approved Dealership. Features of the option are enabled via a new iPhone application 'BMW Connected' that will be available to download from iTunes for free. Some confirmed supported features of the application are:

-Access to social networks Facebook and Twitter in the vehicle
-Stream web radio stations into the vehicle
-Operation of music playback with the Apple iPhone user interface on the vehicle control display

I trust this information answers your query satisfactorily. Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Footnote on this one for UK orders. All of prerequisites listed are all part of the professional multimedia package already (633, 6NF and 6FL).

Also the iPhone versions listed here are slightly different to the US dealer bulletin above because it says only iPhone 3GS and 4 are compatible. I think the US bulletin is wrong and that the iPhone 3G is not compatible, because I think it needs multitasking.
In order for this to all work you have to remain in the app. Therefore 3G will probably be fine. Incoming phone calls etc could always multitask with a current running app.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:25 AM   #57
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

One final note, for those people really wanting this feature you should wait and not assume they will offer a retrofit path for cars that already have the Combox installed. For one, the wiring harness maybe potentially different to support the video playback capability, unless they already started putting that cabling into the cars prior to the March builds.

Even if it is just a "software update", that still means coding, and still means potentially a FSC enabling code to unlock that capability.

Lets face it, they didn't even offer a retrofit path for 6NF in the past ... so I wouldn't hold your breath for 6NR.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:31 AM   #58
apw2607
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't believe Combox Controller = Smartphone Integration. Previous models without the Combox also had Smartphone Integration. My understanding is that Smartphone Integration is only the cradle interface in the armrest that provides a particular connection to iDrive (different from the USB cable) and to the vehicles antenna to augment phone signal.
That's correct.

Previous cars used MULF-Hi unit as the USB hub for the 6FL (ipod/usb). 6NF (smartphone i/f) was also offered on those cars. Have it in my X5, which even has the older style CCC idrive. Archaic ;-)
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 02:06 AM   #59
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

At the risk of making this even more frustrating, I got a reply from BMW UK but all it said was "I'll find out for you"

Quote:
Thank you for your email dated January 31, 2011.

I am investigating this matter for you, and once I have the relevant information I shall be in contact with you again.

Thank you for your ongoing patience.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
Customer Information Executive
We can go on speculating based on what BMW did in the past or based on what dealers have told you (I wouldn't take any important decisions solely on this though!) but until we get something in writing, or better still, see 6NR as an accessory, we won't have a definitive answer.

Will post if I get anything back. I'm also checking the accessories on the website to see if it appears.

Despite what some people have said, I still firmly believe all you will need is the prerequisites listed, a new cradle and a software update.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 05:58 AM   #60
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Think it'll be a whole new cradle, or just the adapter part that fits the different phones?
      02-02-2011, 06:34 AM   #61
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Think it'll be a whole new cradle, or just the adapter part that fits the different phones?
Good point. It may just be something that fits in the cradle

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #62
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: 2 February 2011 16:22
Subject: [SRNUMBER=1-6641861460]
To: xxx

Dear Mr xxx

Thank you for your further email dated January 31, 2011.

I can confirm that, so long as you have the outlined optional extras listed in my previous communication, you simply need to purchase the software update and the specifically designed snap-in adaptor for Mobile Application Preparation. This software update is not restricted to new build vehicles.

I trust this information is of assistance.

Yours sincerely

BMW Group UK
John Brookes
Customer Information Executive
Ellesfield Avenue
Bracknell RG12 8TA
Tel: 0800 325 600
Fax: 0870 5050 205

So, categorically, you do not need to wait for 6NR to appear as a factory fitted option. It will be available as an accessory for existing X3s that meet the prerequisite list in this thread. For UK orders, the only prerequisite for 6NR is the Professional Multimedia Package. You just need to buy the software and the new snap-in adapter (not yet available in the UK).

Let's hope this is the end of it!

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #63
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
So, categorically, you do not need to wait for 6NR to appear as a factory fitted option. It will be available as an accessory for existing X3s that meet the prerequisite list in this thread. For UK orders, the only prerequisite for 6NR is the Professional Multimedia Package. You just need to buy the software and the new snap-in adapter (not yet available in the UK).

Let's hope this is the end of it!
As much as I think this is good news, it still leaves some concern. They only communication which supports this appears to have come from two UK based email messages from a UK dealer and a UK Corporate Communications person. No knock on the UK, however the only U.S. response has been the opposite from a BMW USA Customer Rep.

It still seems strange that there is silence on this officially and that most if not all dealers have no firm info. I am most likely moving my build a few weeks behind at this point to hedge my bet - although I think the odds appear good for some sort of undefined upgrade later, the handling of this makes me think otherwise. Hope I am wrong.
      02-02-2011, 01:28 PM   #64
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
As much as I think this is good news, it still leaves some concern. They only communication which supports this appears to have come from two UK based email messages from a UK dealer and a UK Corporate Communications person. No knock on the UK, however the only U.S. response has been the opposite from a BMW USA Customer Rep.

It still seems strange that there is silence on this officially and that most if not all dealers have no firm info. I am most likely moving my build a few weeks behind at this point to hedge my bet - although I think the odds appear good for some sort of undefined upgrade later, the handling of this makes me think otherwise. Hope I am wrong.
I'm new to BMW so I'm not sure what constitutes official. All of these emails are from BMW Group UK, not from a dealer. This is close as I can get to official. It's in writing and it's from BMW Group UK.

All of that said, the information is there for everyone to make (hopefully) informed decisions. It could be wrong, as could anything you read about new features prior to their release.

Appreciate 0
      02-02-2011, 01:44 PM   #65
ksoze
Major
United_States
Rep

sfax - This has been very valuable information and appreciate you sharing what you have found on this topic.
      02-02-2011, 03:58 PM   #66
Marla17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 3.5

Does anyone know if the 6NR option only pertains to an Iphone? I have an android and was wondering if I should push for the upgrade?
Appreciate 0