BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-28-2011, 12:15 PM   #1
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

20" wheels, Tirerack

has anyone bought 20" wheels from tirerack? they seem to have a decent selection now and some pretty nice ones for $1,000 or less (set), along with some decent summer performance tires this is less than 50% of what BMW would charge for a 20" setup.

I am thinking of going with 20" for summer and when I order my X3 asking the dealer if they will swap out the all season with snow tires on the 19" (M Sport) wheels for no charge. Although for winter I am thinking 18" wheels would be a better fit. Maybe I will just ask them for 18" wheel and winter tires for no charge, shouldn't cost the dealer money, they will have brand new 19" M Wheels from the exchange.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3, '11 GTI

I haven't purchased 20" wheels, but I have probably purchased 7-8 sets of wheels and tires from them. I have been happy with tirerack so far. Some local tire places will match tirerack's price (or close to it, but don't charge shipping so you come out ahead) just an FYI...
      07-28-2011, 01:22 PM   #3
Mako
(Sold) '00 M Roadster '06 M Coupe '16 M3 '20 X3MC
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedinand View Post
I haven't purchased 20" wheels, but I have probably purchased 7-8 sets of wheels and tires from them. I have been happy with tirerack so far. Some local tire places will match tirerack's price (or close to it, but don't charge shipping so you come out ahead) just an FYI...
yeah but then you have to pay tax, which for me is 8.25% (IL taxes are horrible), so on a $2K purchase, thats $160, shipping is like $75. Although I also know that my local Discount tire will give me free rotations and winter/summer swaps for free if I buy from them, so maybe I will do that.

Will local places be able to sell the same wheels tire rack has at the same prices?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 02:49 PM   #4
TarHeelFan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I used to buy from tirerack for all my tires. Between my '01 330i and '08 335i Convertible, I had purchased 6 sets from tire rack. The last set of tires I purchased from the local franchise (Wheel Works, in this case) because the brick and mortar places I called would all match tire rack. All you need to do is go through the complete ordering process to get the total pricing, including install from a local service center and then call around. They'll match it. (Sometimes they'll even come up with a better tire for the same price)
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
yeah but then you have to pay tax, which for me is 8.25% (IL taxes are horrible), so on a $2K purchase, thats $160, shipping is like $75. Although I also know that my local Discount tire will give me free rotations and winter/summer swaps for free if I buy from them, so maybe I will do that.

Will local places be able to sell the same wheels tire rack has at the same prices?
Not so much the wheels, but for tires they can get most anything on tirerack
      07-29-2011, 07:42 AM   #6
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
I have the same Vehicles as you. 2011 GTI (added stage 1 APR and Stage 1/2 Carbonio) mine is Carbon Silver.
Just took delivery of a X3 as described in my name and loaded.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 08:45 AM   #7
XB101
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 TiAg X3 35i

How do you like the X3 performance and handling against the GTI. The VW as I understand is nimble, quick, and has gorgeous interior.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2011, 09:21 AM   #8
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11x35SapphireBlk View Post
I have the same Vehicles as you. 2011 GTI (added stage 1 APR and Stage 1/2 Carbonio) mine is Carbon Silver.
Just took delivery of a X3 as described in my name and loaded.
I think thats at least 3 or 4 of us with a GTI and an X3 Mines candy white, and has the full boat APR KO4 turbo kit (tbe, intercooler, stage 1 carbonio, neuspeed top and hiflo charge pipe). Click on my siggy for vids of the GTI
      07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #9
fedinand
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB101 View Post
How do you like the X3 performance and handling against the GTI. The VW as I understand is nimble, quick, and has gorgeous interior.
The X3 is more luxurious, and quicker than a stock GTI, throw a tune in the GTI and they are about even. With the KO4 turbo, the GTI is going to be a lot quicker- especially the higher the speed. The GTI also handles better, but the X3 doesn't embarrass itself...it handles amazing for being so heavy and having such a high center of gravity. Given a choice I usually go with the X3...it is a more pleasant drive. The GTI does have a great interior, but not as nice as the X3
      07-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #10
11x35SapphireBlk
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3.5 Black Sapphire

Quote:
The X3 is more luxurious, and quicker than a stock GTI, throw a tune in the GTI and they are about even. With the KO4 turbo, the GTI is going to be a lot quicker- especially the higher the speed. The GTI also handles better, but the X3 doesn't embarrass itself...it handles amazing for being so heavy and having such a high center of gravity. Given a choice I usually go with the X3...it is a more pleasant drive. The GTI does have a great interior, but not as nice as the X3
yup agree
Appreciate 0