BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-18-2012, 05:01 AM   #1
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35d M Sport

Shell V-Power diesel

I'm breaking mine in and am about to make my first fill-up on my 35d. I am thinking about using the Shell V-Power diesel (Switzerland).

Does anyone use it? Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 06:39 AM   #2
mooney058
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F25 (Sept 2012) 525i (gone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris55 View Post
I'm breaking mine in and am about to make my first fill-up on my 35d. I am thinking about using the Shell V-Power diesel (Switzerland).

Does anyone use it? Any thoughts, recommendations?

Thanks
not much experience as I am still waiting for my first diesel car, but I have heard that it is better to use regular diesel fuel than the V-Power diesel. Google and you will see that some people relate the use of V-Power to some kind of problems.

EDIT: sorry, could not find any confirmation myself, just saw some warning on internet about low sulfur diesel fuels. I am not sure if V-Power falls into that category.

Last edited by mooney058; 07-18-2012 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Not sure if it was V Power but I tried the more expensive Shell fuel diesel once and although I couldn't see any difference in fuel economy (that was the only thing I could easily measure), I did think that the car seemed slightly more responsive - but perhaps only because I was looking for a difference and so I found one

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 08:05 AM   #4
cheesebag
Debadged and Alpine Weiss!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 Msport

I use BP Ultimate when I can
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #5
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Thanks guys. I guess the benefits of the V-Power diesel is not really obvious. I thought it might be beneficial to the engine in keeping it cleaner and maybe a bit better fuel economy.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess the benefits of the V-Power diesel is not really obvious. I thought it might be beneficial to the engine in keeping it cleaner and maybe a bit better fuel economy.
The V-Power unleaded makes a big difference to my car. Why don't you test the diesel version over 3 full tanks of running with it and then once empty, against regular Shell diesel? The latter comes with plenty of detergents too.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

Quote:
Check with your dealer. And check also the manual. I've heard many recommendations of NOT using such kind of Diesel.

First and less hurting is that the difference does not really justify the price.
Second and much more to be evaluated is that it seems these kind of Diesels are too poor in sulfur that has lubricant properties. So using regularly VPower Diesl might cause some issues to the engine.

It's true that it seems to have "cleaning" properties, I believe that using it every (say) 4-5 gas fills may help, but I wouldn't use it more frequently.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

All our diesel fuels are ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) in the UK, (and most of Europe) so using a fuel like Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, with their additive packages, enhance the fuel and add to lubricity.

BP Ultimate is regular petroleum-based diesel with enhancers for cleaning, added cetane rating and improved lubricity. V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, has the additive benefits, but has a lower unit energy, as it is less dense than regular diesel.

BP Ultimate typically gives better mpg in high performance diesel engines, but experience shows Shell V-Power often shows negative results on consumption, but it is explained by the energy in the fuel. But both premium fuels give enhanced properties for better running and longevity.

Just decide what value you put on a cleaner running engine and longevity. MPG benefits should be of secondary importance, IMO.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #9
Alligator69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 2.0d Mineral Silver

I wouldn't ask the companies about the quality of their diesels... ;-)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
All our diesel fuels are ULSD (Ultra Low Sulphur Diesel) in the UK, (and most of Europe) so using a fuel like Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate, with their additive packages, enhance the fuel and add to lubricity.

BP Ultimate is regular petroleum-based diesel with enhancers for cleaning, added cetane rating and improved lubricity. V-Power Diesel is a blend of regular petroleum-based diesel and synthetic diesel, has the additive benefits, but has a lower unit energy, as it is less dense than regular diesel.

BP Ultimate typically gives better mpg in high performance diesel engines, but experience shows Shell V-Power often shows negative results on consumption, but it is explained by the energy in the fuel. But both premium fuels give enhanced properties for better running and longevity.

Just decide what value you put on a cleaner running engine and longevity. MPG benefits should be of secondary importance, IMO.

HighlandPete
Thanks HighlandPete and everyone else.
Going by what you wrote, would I be right to assume that the BP Ultimate is actually better than the Shell V-Power? Protection, better energy than the Shell etc...? What do you use and recommend?

I did use Shell V-power in my 335d assuming it was the best, but thinking back I wonder if that was the wisest choice as the car did seem to make a bit more noise when using it compared to normal diesel, and definitely more noise than my new 35d X3 anyway.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks HighlandPete and everyone else.
Going by what you wrote, would I be right to assume that the BP Ultimate is actually better than the Shell V-Power? Protection, better energy than the Shell etc...? What do you use and recommend?
I normally use BP Ultimate as I can get it locally. We don't have Shell in the area. I have used other fuel including the regular BP, but find the engine is sweeter, response is better and mpg is improved with Ultimate. I don't make a lot of long trips at present, so besides the mentioned opinion, do feel more comfortable with a cleaner fuel, less soot about and hopefully it will help the DPF to keep performing without issues.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #12
Chris55
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
I normally use BP Ultimate as I can get it locally. We don't have Shell in the area. I have used other fuel including the regular BP, but find the engine is sweeter, response is better and mpg is improved with Ultimate. I don't make a lot of long trips at present, so besides the mentioned opinion, do feel more comfortable with a cleaner fuel, less soot about and hopefully it will help the DPF to keep performing without issues.

HighlandPete
Thanks HighlandPete. I think I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 04:02 AM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

If you're in the UK you can get 5p/litre off all Shell fuel when you spend £50+ in Waitrose at the moment

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Jan van Zyl
Private First Class
Namibia
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 (F25) x-drive 2.0D

An older thread from another forum (2010):

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=919454

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 05:43 AM   #15