BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
bunnn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: like a grandma

Brake Upgrades for our X3?

Coming from my old cars B7 A4 with Brembo upgrade, and E92 M3 with Brembo upgrade, the brakes feel really soft and lacking in the X3. I realize this is relative to my experience, but I'm looking to solve by perhaps buying a BBK for this truck as well. I'm wondering if other existing kits(perhaps from an E90 or X5) would fit on the X3?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I wonder if the X5/6M brakes would work on the X3?

Last edited by bunnn; 01-10-2012 at 07:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
bren
user
Rep
Drives: German Camaro

Are you experiencing fade due to over-heating, or unable to engage ABS and lock the tires?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bren View Post
Are you experiencing fade due to over-heating, or unable to engage ABS and lock the tires?
No - none of those. Honestly, I'm looking for an upgrade mainly due to pedal feel, and my experience with better performance brakes. As I mentioned, it's all relative to my own experience, nothing wrong per say with the X3 brakes on its own.
      01-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
AtlM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X3 35i

More than likely a new kit will increase breaking distances because it will throw out the f/r bias...another concern would be the parking brake but im not sure if its a part of the rear like some cars. your best bet is some motul brake fluid and stanless steel lines and maybe different pads/rotors
      01-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
AtlM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

^+1
      01-16-2012, 02:52 AM   #6
bunnn
Colonel
Rep

The F/R bias is not a concern for me, I've never done brake upgrades on just the front alone. If it was design as a full kit, then it will be bought as a full kit to address the F/R issue. That would have been a major concern for me at the track on my previous cars. That said, I did not realize our X3's brakes were so integrated or technologically advanced/attached. However, I don't think anything that has been mentioned on the X3 is unique to our cars. There must be a kit out there that already addresses these issues on other vehicle, and if a kit were to be released for this car, I certainly expect it to be fully functional and integrated.

The line and fluid is probably my best solution at the moment, but I do hope to have a more complete package going forward. Thanks for the insight so far.
      01-16-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post
The F/R bias is not a concern for me, I've never done brake upgrades on just the front alone. If it was design as a full kit, then it will be bought as a full kit to address the F/R issue. That would have been a major concern for me at the track on my previous cars. That said, I did not realize our X3's brakes were so integrated or technologically advanced/attached. However, I don't think anything that has been mentioned on the X3 is unique to our cars. There must be a kit out there that already addresses these issues on other vehicle, and if a kit were to be released for this car, I certainly expect it to be fully functional and integrated.

The line and fluid is probably my best solution at the moment, but I do hope to have a more complete package going forward. Thanks for the insight so far.
The best thing I can suggest is to see what kits are available for the E90. The E90 has all functions discussed and may even have very similar brake system parts to the F25 X3.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #8
AtlM5
Enlisted Member
Rep

^this might be worth a try however I doubt it will be functional with the ECU...you could try looking for something with the same features and the 8speed tranny as it would be more likely to integrate with the ecu but unless you get somehting that is built specifically for the X3 you will have to worry about f/r bias because different cars have different weight distributions, brake dive, etc. which may cause the wrong wheels to lockup first and will throw off the bias
      01-18-2012, 12:38 PM   #9
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnn View Post

There's sure to be a different after market pad material out soon. Having said that if you replace the brake lines and add fluid with far higher boiling points it should give you better feel - as you suggested. If you experience brake fade you could always DIY a cold air fee tubing to the discs and calipers.
Appreciate 0