BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-19-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

Nice Rack!

...And the base crossbars and awesome too! I know there are a few that purchased aftermarket Thule, Yakama, Aereo, and a few other very good, stand-alone brands, but I found the BMW base support racks/crossbars to be very high quality, custom fit to our cars, and flexible enough to carry what most of us need.

The same quality carries over to the BMW Touring Bike Rack as well as their 6 ski/snowboard rack. High quality, solid construction, streamlined, made for our cars. Seems like the engineers that designed our cars, did some work on their downtime for these racks.

If you're looking to get roof racks to carry stuff. I think you can do no better than getting the BMW roof system.

Packages | M-Sport | Cold I & II | Tech | Premium | Sound | BMW Apps, HUD, Net
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 10:52 AM   #2
ctski1
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 328, 2017 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenX3 View Post
...And the base crossbars and awesome too! I know there are a few that purchased aftermarket Thule, Yakama, Aereo, and a few other very good, stand-alone brands, but I found the BMW base support racks/crossbars to be very high quality, custom fit to our cars, and flexible enough to carry what most of us need.

The same quality carries over to the BMW Touring Bike Rack as well as their 6 ski/snowboard rack. High quality, solid construction, streamlined, made for our cars. Seems like the engineers that designed our cars, did some work on their downtime for these racks.

If you're looking to get roof racks to carry stuff. I think you can do no better than getting the BMW roof system.
I hope you're right! I intend on using the heck out of them…
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:00 AM   #3
rpiopio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2011 X3 , 2000e39

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Been thinking about getting the base and snowboard rack.

10-19-2011, 12:16 PM   #4
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Base System

The base system (crossbars) is solid. It's stream lined (meaning, the bars don't protrude beyond the support bases). They're tight fitting and solid construction. You can tell when you handle them that they are beefy but not overly heavy.

I like the snowboard carrier because you can actually carry other stuff in there. I play hockey too, so I throw my sticks up there sometimes. 2X4X8 that you couldn't get in the car... you can throw up on the carrier (though, I wouldn't get on the highway in that scenario)... strictly for slow, back streets driving. But hey, at least you can do it.

Bike rack is equally as strong.

I'll say this, if you get the 6 ski and snowboard combo... it does stand high off the roof. No problem getting in the garage, but you can definitely hear them going down the road. Same with all racks, but a little more so if you get the taller ones.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 01:17 PM   #5
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

I plan to put on the new Thule Aeroblade bars on mine (when it eventually arrives) in the hope that they'll keep wind noise to a minimum. Hoping that my Yakima Fatcats can mount to the wide profile bars...

I remember someone telling me that Audi & BMW roof racks are all actually manufactured by Thule.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #6
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

Audi & BMW use multiple manufacturers for roof bars and accessories. Thule, Mont Blanc, Atera, KAMEI are all used.

The accessories can often be really obvious rebadges like the Thule Atlantis being offered as an Audi roofbox and my Audi snowboard carrier looks uncannily like the Thule Deluxe.
      10-19-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
I've never used them, but I would agree that even at a slightly higher cost it would be advisable to use the system that was designed for the vehicle. They are probably made by Thule anyway... but precision fit is guaranteed.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #8
sard
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
I plan to put on the new Thule Aeroblade bars on mine (when it eventually arrives) in the hope that they'll keep wind noise to a minimum. Hoping that my Yakima Fatcats can mount to the wide profile bars...

I remember someone telling me that Audi & BMW roof racks are all actually manufactured by Thule.
I have these on my X3 and don't hear any additional noise (no carrier on the crossbars). Albeit the wind/road noise on the factory form X3 is already a bit noisy. With the sunroof open, that fabric diffuser that pops up is wtf bbq incredibly loud.

E92 M3 - DCT - 20" BBS LM-R - KW Clubsport - Akrapovic Exhaust - Powerchip Tune - Arkym Aero Kit - HID Halo
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #9
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
I've never used them, but I would agree that even at a slightly higher cost it would be advisable to use the system that was designed for the vehicle. They are probably made by Thule anyway... but precision fit is guaranteed.
Or you can buy the same rack from REI and if there were a fit issue (doubtful) you can return it. Also you'd get 10% back in dividend in the Spring.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:22 PM   #10
GenX3
Private First Class
Rep

Thule Custom Design, I like it!

Well, if Thule makes the BMW racks, all the better. Whoever makes 'em, makes 'em well. As for the base rack, none of the aftermarket brands, including Thule, are custom fit as well as the BMW racks.

Some of the aftermarket components are nice, like the Yakama fatcats. It would be interesting to know if the Fatcats fit on the BMW rack... The BMW base rack crossbars aren't round, kind of oval shaped. The front crossbar has little spoilers on the underside of the bar. To help with wind-noise I suspect.

Sometimes when a company makes products not in their 'wheelhouse', the quality tends to be questionable. These racks and base support are of the highest quality I've seen. And if they're made by Thule or another professional transport company, that would stand to reason.

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 01:02 AM   #11
coolesnce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out

I have the Thule Snowcat that I bought last November and used on mt X5. Anyone have any ideas how to get it be compatible with the X3's roof rails?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 06:15 AM   #12
Toecutter
Private
Rep
Drives: rattletrap

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolesnce View Post
I have the Thule Snowcat that I bought last November and used on mt X5. Anyone have any ideas how to get it be compatible with the X3's roof rails?
Can you run it through their configurator?

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/index....e=en&Market=SE
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2011, 12:27 PM   #13
coolesnce
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 X4 3.0 M-line Maxed out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toecutter View Post
Can you run it through their configurator?

http://www.thule.com/fitguide/index....e=en&Market=SE
The snow cat is a stand alone setup designed to just clamp on roof rails.
Appreciate 0