BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2015, 01:38 PM   #1
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Connecting galaxy s5 as USB

Hey everyone
Ive had no luck in getting iDrive to recognize my Galaxy s5 when connected to USB. Is thee any trick that I am missing here ? I tried connective in MTP mode, is there a minimum android version requirement that I am missing ?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 03:07 PM   #2
lbjgh
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 AW X3 M-Sport

The S5 doesn't work with the X3 using KitKat 4.4.4.

I got rid of my S5 and replaced it with a Blackberry Passport and everything is good once again.

If possible try upgrading the phone OS to Lollipop (5.0.2) and see if that fixes the problem.

Here is an article on the OS http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-relea...roid-l-1783090
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeupscotty View Post
Hey everyone
Ive had no luck in getting iDrive to recognize my Galaxy s5 when connected to USB. Is thee any trick that I am missing here ? I tried connective in MTP mode, is there a minimum android version requirement that I am missing ?
      01-19-2015, 05:00 PM   #3
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

thanks , gonna give lollipop a shot , but BMWs documentation kinda sucks in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2015, 03:07 PM   #4
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G26 420d MSport Pro

So ... I got my S5 to work beautifully with the ConnectedDrive Audioplayer whilst on KitKat.

Stupidly I upgraded to Lollipop and this no longer works - everything looks OK but no audio comes out.

Tonight I uninstalled the Connected app from my phone and tried using the S5 as a USB device in MTP mode ... SUCCESS!

Well, almost. At first glance everything looked OK ... search by album, artist etc, cover art displayed. And then I found that the tracks are displayed (and play) alphabetically rather than in the album order.

I guess I can sort this by either renaming all the files or creating playlists ... either way it seems tedious.
      02-12-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

On Android 4.4.2 works.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2015, 04:02 PM   #6
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

... and now the car doesn't seem to be able to browse the phone file structure, presumably because of an update to the corporate security policy on my device or something.

Think I need to find a way to flash the phone back to Kitkat unless anyone's successfully got Lollipop working with ConnectedDrive.
      03-08-2015, 05:22 PM   #7
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Downgraded the phone back to KitKat 4.4.2 and it works with ConnectedDrive audio player again. I'm happy with that because I also get Calendar integration back again which I find very useful.

To the OPs question re using it as a USB media player - I couldn't get this to work reliably. As I've posted above, initially it seemed to work OK except the album tracks played in alphabetical order but this only worked for me for a couple of days. My device received another Lollipop patch and an update to my corporate policy and one of these changes seemed to FUBAR things as the X3 could no longer read the SD card in the phone and could only access 2 folders on the device (Media and Music). I tried copying an album of 12 or 13 tracks into the Music folder and this worked in terms of playing the music but I ended up with 300+ tracks showing with each track replicated many times. Completely unusable.

I guess this is why Apple devices continue to be so popular - they just work, even if you're forced into doing everything the Apple way and paying a small fortune for a few dollars of extra storage.
      03-09-2015, 01:55 PM   #8
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

I had tried originally with 4.4.2 and again with 4.4.4 but the car simply refuses to recognize the device at all. Here in the US, AT&T absolutely sucks when it comes to pushing out android updates while all the other carriers have rolled out 5.0.0 already.
Going to try uninstalling the connected Drive app and try again but Ive given up hope at this point resorting to bluetooth audio which is not always high quality
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 04:47 PM   #9
TuffLittleUnit
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

You're aware that using ConnectedDrive doesn't just make it appear as USB device in the standard media options?

Need to go to the ConnectedDrive menu and use the connection assistant or whatever it displays as. I have the phone in MTP USB mode but I seem to recall that either the phone or the car prompts to switch to accessory mode.

This should result in the iDrive checking that the Connected app is installed on your phone and the phone itself will pop up a dialogue saying it's connecting. The first time you do this you'll be prompted to make Connected the default app for handling accessory mode on the phone.

All sounds a bit complicated but it's not when you do it. Let me know if you need any photos/screenshots/vids of how to do it.