BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #23
///Mangler
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 Darth Vader Trackcar

Garage List
2000 E39 M5  [9.00]
Search my name and a thread F30 wind noise. On the last page is a video of the cause.

T
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2015, 07:58 AM   #24
smihko
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2015

Thanks for advise. I have wind noise at driver and passenger door at the upper portion of horizontal sash member.
At passenger door less than at drivers door.
There is a small gap. which developing this sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:26 AM   #25
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G31 520i

I too have the wind noise coming from upper portion of the drivers door. I complained to the dealer and they could not find anything. Has anyone been able to find a solution?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #26
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihko View Post
Thanks for advise. I have wind noise at driver and passenger door at the upper portion of horizontal sash member.
At passenger door less than at drivers door.
There is a small gap. which developing this sound.

can you provide some pics of where you suspect the noise is coming from ?
I can reiterate for a fact that there are definite wind noise issues even on the 2015 LCI. This gets so worse during high crosswinds that its unbearable.

I dont think there is a definitely solution for this problem ,and the causes seem to vary but can all be attributed to crappy build quality in general. Im going to somehow bear this for another few thousand miles until I hit the service interval then nag the hell out of the dealer to do something about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 06:20 AM   #27
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep

I think the air enters at the beginning of the door rubber seal close to the mirror and creates turbulence between the seals on top of the door. I will test the fix and post back.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 07:27 AM   #28
smihko
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2015

Wind noise continue

Unfortunately wind noise did not disappear after the last treatment I got at dealer service.
They adjust the door hinges, but it doesn't help. Exterior gasket get it's proper location, it means, that it doesn't exposed from the body of the car. Other than that - no changes.
I looked closely to the issue and still thinking, that there is a gap between glass and door gasket at the corner where inclined glass going to the horizontal portion. I found it when after long time driving stop my car, low down window glass and just slide my finger on a surface of the gasket from the low inclined side to the upper horizontal. I find out, that where gasket completely touching the glass there are no dust. Where there is a gap, there is a dust. I think, that this area developing noise during driving.
I'm waiting next service run and ask to do something again. Once they fix it - it is fine with me if not, I have to start probably some legal processes. It is ridiculous to spend such a money I paid and "enjoy" this wind in my ear.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #29
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by seff5677 View Post
I also have a 15 X3, i totally agree with you on the excessive whistling it gets annoying
Yes! There is a whistle! I just noticed it now because the weather is nice and I've been opening the window
      04-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #30
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordster View Post
Yes! There is a whistle! I just noticed it now because the weather is nice and I've been opening the window
Well on my 15 X3, i can hear the whistling even with windows rolled up ! I shudder to take a road trip in this car !
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 03:49 PM   #31
riguy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 X3 M-Sport 28i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmeupscotty View Post
Well on my 15 X3, i can hear the whistling even with windows rolled up ! I shudder to take a road trip in this car !
I had very loud whistling on my car since it was new (2015). Dealer tracked down to an open gap under the cowling of the windshield. They sealed it and All gone! Now i just have the loud wind noise from the driver's side door.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2015, 10:43 PM   #32
bimmeupscotty
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by riguy View Post
I had very loud whistling on my car since it was new (2015). Dealer tracked down to an open gap under the cowling of the windshield. They sealed it and All gone! Now i just have the loud wind noise from the driver's side door.
by any chance could you post a pic of the area so I am armed with some info when I go to the dealer ?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 08:04 AM   #33
Jordster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive 28i

Quote:
Me too!! I'm going to take it in when I have a chance ... I really hope they have a fix for this.

I wouldn't accept this kind of "whistle" in a $20k car. It's just awful in a $50k car. Now that I've noticed it, I can't seem to un-notice it... And yes I can also hear it with the window up, it's just a lot quieter..
      04-21-2015, 02:35 AM   #34
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep

I went today for a test drive with bmw tech. This is the first time I had a chance to sit at passenger seat. I could hear the wind noise coming from the driver window still. Tech admitted this is not normal, so I made an appointment for a fix. I hope they will be able to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:55 AM   #35
Rich4
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 30d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
I went today for a test drive with bmw tech. This is the first time I had a chance to sit at passenger seat. I could hear the wind noise coming from the driver window still. Tech admitted this is not normal, so I made an appointment for a fix. I hope they will be able to fix it.
it would be good if you would post what the "fix" is, once they have done it.
Its an issue that has affected many and still seems to be there even on the LCI, despite side-mirror re-design so its likely a sound insulation thing also.
      04-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #36
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep

Dealer is good. I changed there gearbox twice on two different cars, one for the problem that many probably did not even notice, so my hopes are high.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #37
uvfight
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 28i

got a loaner car 2015 X3 diesel 28i today for couple days . same as my 2011 x3.
still have a slightly wind noise slip in on the driver side as well
drive @120km/h
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 01:19 AM   #38
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep

Well, not only that dealer did not repair the wind noise, but they also messed up the rubber seal behind the mirror that touches the window, so now I have screeching noise when window is moving. Very disappointing. I complained and they will now replace the rubber seal. Back in the shop in June, when parts arrive.
      05-19-2015, 09:28 AM   #39
VinX3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3

My 2015 x3 has the wind noise issue as well. It also has the driver door creaking noise. All the Japanese cars I've owned in the past never had this issue. My VW GTI had the same door creaking issue. Must be a German thing.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 12:34 PM   #40
doonboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

I got the 2015 X3 28d and notice the noise on the highway. Worse when it is a windy day. Will have to go back to the dealer for sure. I thought I was imagining the noise and now I read this.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 12:56 PM   #41
Anders R
Private First Class
Belgium
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzz View Post
Well, not only that dealer did not repair the wind noise, but they also messed up the rubber seal behind the mirror that touches the window, so now I have screeching noise when window is moving. Very disappointing. I complained and they will now replace the rubber seal. Back in the shop in June, when parts arrive.
Don't know who your dealer is in Belgium, J-M Martin in Brussels was clueless.

I did the following myself, as per a previous post,which fixed my whistling problem (note: passenger side parts numbers):

"You don't describe the wind noise, so a bit difficult to compare experiences but in my case (passenger door) it was a whistling sound at any speed above 100 kph, and BMW did not manage to find the problem so I took it upon myself to replace the most obvious culprits (note these are all for the right side, so you need to figure out the drivers door part numbers, and also if you have different trim finish). Since yours is new, it should already have the updated mirror insulation so that is not needed.

51337311260 Fensterfuehrung Tuer Vorne Rechts, 41,32 EUR
51418224768 Clip Mit Dichtscheibe Natur, (25x) 16,25 EUR
(( 51337205594 Abdichtung Spiegeldreieck Aussen Rechts, 13,47 EUR))

You should ask BMW to replace the part that I described, and possibly to adjust how tight the door closes."
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2015, 08:17 PM   #42
ings
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
I have a 2013 X3 and have the driver's side whistling noise between 60 and 80 km/h. Fortunately most of my driving is highway driving at 90-120 km/h so I have learned to live with it.

But given that 2015 owners are complaining about the same thing, it sounds like it may be an inherent design or manufacturing flaw that the dealer can't resolve (mine couldn't).

Dave Ings
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2015, 11:54 PM   #43
zzz
Private
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders R View Post
Don't know who your dealer is in Belgium, J-M Martin in Brussels was clueless.

I did the following myself, as per a previous post,which fixed my whistling problem (note: passenger side parts numbers):

"You don't describe the wind noise, so a bit difficult to compare experiences but in my case (passenger door) it was a whistling sound at any speed above 100 kph, and BMW did not manage to find the problem so I took it upon myself to replace the most obvious culprits (note these are all for the right side, so you need to figure out the drivers door part numbers, and also if you have different trim finish). Since yours is new, it should already have the updated mirror insulation so that is not needed.

51337311260 Fensterfuehrung Tuer Vorne Rechts, 41,32 EUR
51418224768 Clip Mit Dichtscheibe Natur, (25x) 16,25 EUR
(( 51337205594 Abdichtung Spiegeldreieck Aussen Rechts, 13,47 EUR))

You should ask BMW to replace the part that I described, and possibly to adjust how tight the door closes."
They now did replace some rubbber on top and near the mirror, so now we are back to square one, after three visits. I am also not sure that this is the driver door only problem, as we would not hear the other side while sitting on the left. Also,the mirrors are not the same shape - right mirror is more bent towards the rear, to compensate for driver's position. This could explain the difference between two sides.

From your description of the sound, it might be a different problem. I am starting to think that it is the shape of the car that is causing mine. I am not sure if I should continue complaining, or just forget about it. I have wasted enough time already with this. Dealer is Tanghe.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
acbmw
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 x3 35i

2016 x3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smihko View Post
Hi.
Recently purchase 2015 BMW X3 28 diesel with performance and technology package and was very disappointed, that there is permanent wind noise when you exceed speed over 65-70 km /hour.
4 times visiting dealership did not help at all to resolve the issue.
Tried to drive another X3 (gas), X5 diesel - and I was surprised, that all these vehicles have similar sound at the left door.
I have not a first BMW, previously carried 524 td and never experience this problem. Both cars were quiet. At the same dealership drove Mercedes ML 350 Blutec (diesel as well) and there was no any issues in a cabin with wind noise.
Have anybody experience similar issue on their own X3?
I really appreciate any suggestions.

I just picked up the 2016 x3 35i this past Saturday and I have excessive wind noise from both driver and passenger side.

I initially saw some condensation inside the head lights and when it was still present the next day I started to look over the vehicle in extreme detail and noticed that the small gap that's between the headlights and the bumper was larger on the driver side verses the passenger. Then I noticed there is a thin rubber seal that runs down from the roof towards the fender, not on the windshield or the door but on the metal frame, and the edge of the rubber seal is lifted and not flush on both sides.

Then I noticed that the bolts under the hood that secures the fender looks like someone spray painted just on top of it as oppose to being all clean and even on the driver side. So I took it into the dealership this morning and explained all this and pointed everything out and they told me everything was normal except they couldn't give me a definitive answer for the bolts.

So its at the shop currently and spokewith a sservice rep and was advised that they'll order a new light for the driver side one being unevenly fitted, will have a body shop refit all seals I mentioned.

Told him about the excessive wind noise bcz I initially forgot to mention it and they'll do a test drive to check it. I was told it will be in the shop til at least Wednesday. It sucks that I've purchased a 55k vehicle and it's already in the shop only after a day (Sunday don't count bcz they are closed). Maybe the x3 assembly being in SC for the x3 is the issue because this is my 5th bmw and never had any issues in the past. Any inpu wpuld be appreciated.

Last edited by acbmw; 01-04-2016 at 02:48 PM..
Appreciate 0