BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-12-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
atrueb
Second Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01

Quiet thumping sound when stopping

I've been encountering a quiet thump sound in the last 2 months everytime I slow down just before coming to a full stop. In the beginning it only thumped occassionaly, but then started to increase to about every time when I would stop. Then it also started to thump when accelerating.

Annoyed by this quiet yet irritating sound I started doing research on the internet. Seems like a number of BMW drivers have experienced thumping, but everybody found different root causes ranging from torn bushings, to worn out solenoids, loose brake lines, to messed up transmissions, etc. while others just accepted this as being "normal".

I then asked my wife and son if they hear it aswell, and yes they did.... So that releaved me in a sense that the sound was not a figmnent of my imagination and that I have not turned paranoid because of this! I then decided to let the dealership have a look at the car. It took about a full day for them to find the cause. Turned out to be the main drive shaft which had run dry and certain gears would start to bind at very low speeds. So they re-greased the gears and it seems, like the issue has been resolved:-)

Needless to say, I am thrilled that the thumping sound is history and that it was something so banal and actually quite easy to "fix". Kudos to my dealership for their persistency and honesty (afterall, they could have claimed the need to change a whole bunch of parts to make some money)!

Hope this information is helpful for anybody with a similar issue!

Overall I am very impressed with my F25. I've had it for 4.5 years and put 62'000km on it. So far I have had no other issue than the one described above. That's pretty cool if you ask me!
      06-13-2018, 08:00 AM   #2
najnad
General of the Space Forces
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 X3 35i M-sport

Garage List
What did they re-grease? The U-joints on the front and rear drive shafts? the transfer case? the support bearing on the rear drive shaft?
Appreciate 0