BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2011, 01:12 PM   #1
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Heated Front Seats & Heated Steering Wheel

I am debating on whether to add this or not. I live in Charlotte, NC right now and go back and forth for work to Atlanta, GA and Columbia, SC often and it doesn't get as cold in the South as it does up North so I may not need this.

But for $790 ($500 seats/$190) I am debating on whether it might be a necessity given I haven't had leather seats in my car before (always cloth) and I'm guessing that in the cold, the leather will be freezing cold.

But my thinking is that, if I heat the car prior to getting in, it should be fine, but I wanted to get feedback from those who have it and those who don't to see if it's a worthwhile add.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #2
VikingOne
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 530e 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I am debating on whether to add this or not. I live in Charlotte, NC right now and go back and forth for work to Atlanta, GA and Columbia, SC often and it doesn't get as cold in the South as it does up North so I may not need this.

But for $790 ($500 seats/$190) I am debating on whether it might be a necessity given I haven't had leather seats in my car before (always cloth) and I'm guessing that in the cold, the leather will be freezing cold.

But my thinking is that, if I heat the car prior to getting in, it should be fine, but I wanted to get feedback from those who have it and those who don't to see if it's a worthwhile add.
I am in the UK, and my last two cars have both had leather seats, and the current one I have the heated option, and it makes a world of difference. I understand what your saying about warming the car up first, but this does not take the chill off the seat itself, just warms the air in the car. I have decided against the heated steering wheel, but could not go without heated seat.

Previous: 2011 X3 2.0d xLine
Previous: 2015 X3 LCI 3.0d xLine
Current: 2018 530e 2L M-Sport I-Performance
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

I live in a part of the county that gets snow and rain 9 months out of the year. I've never felt the need to have seat warmers. Do you park in a garage? If so, skip it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2.0D SE

Is seat heating not part of a package?
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
loatron
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 28i

I lived in Charleston, SC when I purchased my E46 and did not get heated seats. I never regretted it and would never have used them down south.

I did order them on my F25, but I live in CT now and my wife would not let me order without. Unless you specifically know you want them, or have a wife forcing you, I'd go without.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:00 PM   #6
Spitfire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

Loving the heated wheel here in Toronto, just a little something that makes the winter suck less.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #7
BIMMER UK 76
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F25 X3 20d SE

Heated seating is a must for me, nearly added heated wheel but had to stop adding extras at some point

BMW F25 X3 xDRIVE 20d SE
Black Sapphire | Oyster Leather | Fineline Sienna Wood | 307 V Spokes | Auto | Prof Multimedia Package | xLine Package | Xenons | Business Radio | Sports Steering Wheel | Sports Seats | Panoramic Sunroof | Sun Protection Glass | Sun Blinds | Folding Ext. Mirrors + Titanium Grille | Chrome Exhaust Trim | Mudflaps
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:31 PM   #8
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:

I live in MN, so heated seats are must for me, I have this in my current car and I love it, as far as heated steering wheel, I never had it, and I happened to check it in the 35i I test drove and I liked it very much. I usually use my gloves to beat the cold out of steering wheel, but many times I used to leave them at one coat and wear a diff one and struggle when I am driving home on cold winter nights. So for the price I thought it's worth for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

I live in Atlanta, and picked my X3 up the last week of February. I have only had it about 3 weeks now, and have used the heated seats and steering wheel on only 2 or 3 occassions. The weather is starting to turn nice finally. I can tell you though, on the mornings it was below freezing, the heated seats were an absolute gem! The heated steering wheel, well, for Atlanta that might be a tad bit over the top, but for the $190 over the life time of the vehicle I will drive it, it didnt sound like too much to spend. It was reallly nice when I did use it and I'm sure in the winter it will all be used often. I got the cold weather package which also included heated rear seats for the kids.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:44 PM   #10
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutt View Post
I live in Atlanta, and picked my X3 up the last week of February. I have only had it about 3 weeks now, and have used the heated seats and steering wheel on only 2 or 3 occassions. The weather is starting to turn nice finally. I can tell you though, on the mornings it was below freezing, the heated seats were an absolute gem! The heated steering wheel, well, for Atlanta that might be a tad bit over the top, but for the $190 over the life time of the vehicle I will drive it, it didnt sound like too much to spend. It was reallly nice when I did use it and I'm sure in the winter it will all be used often. I got the cold weather package which also included heated rear seats for the kids.
Yes I too got the cold weather package, so rear seats are good for kids and (parents / guests - when they come along)
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #11
kmarei
Major General
Egypt
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi RS5 coupe

Garage List
2018 Audi RS5  [0.00]
heated steering wheel is one of my favourite options
call me a sissy
but it's the best thing when your hands are freezing after clearing snow off a windsheild
also makes me a better driver, as it makes me put BOTH hands on the steering wheel
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #12
Beyu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MA78 View Post
I live in a part of the county that gets snow and rain 9 months out of the year. I've never felt the need to have seat warmers. Do you park in a garage? If so, skip it.
Living in practically the same climate, we in Washington and Oregon are notorious for rain and cold weather throughout the year. Heated seats are definitely a must while heated steering wheel is a luxury; I can't say I've ever been in a situation driving where I wish my hands were warmer, most likely if your hands are cold then the rest of your body is also.

Heated seats don't always have to be used only in conjunction with the air heating system. There have been times when I'm driving by myself and want some fresh air or feel claustrophobic after driving for awhile. To remedy this I open my sunroof but it's too cold out yet not to the point where my face is freezing and to turn on air heating would be a waste.

I can't remember if ventilated seats are included in the heated seats or in the cold weather package but if they are then the option would be worth it no matter what climate you're in.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Lotus7
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: xxxx

In Chicago, heated seats are a "must-have" and the heated steering wheel is a wonderful item to have. I've used them both extensively through February and the first couple of days in March. Now that the weather is hitting the low 50's (deg, F.), I find no need for them, but my wife still likes to turn on the heated seat - makes her back feel good. For us northerners it's a no-brainer option.

Another consideration is resale. A BMW is typically purchased by a buyer who would probably expect the car to have heated seats, and might be "put-off" if it did not.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #14
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Yes, add heated seats even if for the resale later on.
Alpine White, Black Leather, HUD, Auto, Pro media, Visibility, Climate Comfort,Storage, Cold weather Packs, Pro Loudspeaker system, Sun Protection Glass, Electric Adjust Front Seats, Reversing Camera with Top View, 19" 309's,Variable Damper Control,Variable sport steering, Sports Seats, Sports Steering Wheel. Re-ordered 27/7/11, Arrived 28/9/11
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #15
flash3
Captain
Rep

From everything I'm hearing here and given that I have the Comfort Access Key option, I can remotely start my car from home (set the iDrive to turn on the Heat) and then when I come into the car, at least the car is warm, I may opt out of the Heated Seats.

The Heated Steering Wheel for $190 isn't that bad do I need it?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #16
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
From everything I'm hearing here and given that I have the Comfort Access Key option, I can remotely start my car from home (set the iDrive to turn on the Heat) and then when I come into the car, at least the car is warm, I may opt out of the Heated Seats.

Is that in the X3 F25 ??
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:12 PM   #17
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
Quote:

Is that in the X3 F25 ??
it's gonna br included in the Conv Pkg I am adding.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
AJWilson
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:
it's gonna br included in the Conv Pkg I am adding.

I had this in my old X5, it's called auxilliary heating, very handy in the cold months. Can't seem to find it in the options selection.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:32 PM   #19
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJWilson View Post
I had this in my old X5, it's called auxilliary heating, very handy in the cold months. Can't seem to find it in the options selection.
I think you and I are talking about 2 diff things. lol -- I was referring to remote start via the Comfort Access option in the Conv Pkg, where I can set my iDrive to turn on the Heat when I remote start my car from my home.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #20
TrikinCurt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 35i Mineral Silver

Quote:
I think you and I are talking about 2 diff things. lol -- I was referring to remote start via the Comfort Access option in the Conv Pkg, where I can set my iDrive to turn on the Heat when I remote start my car from my home.
Err, unless i really missed something, BMW does not offer remote start in the US, no matter what package you get. Sorry.

Convenience package lets you start without a key in the ignition, but it does expect you in the car - it just means you press the "start" button with the key in your pocket.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
bluesmachine
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5 45e blue/cognac

Garage List
2011 BMW X3 35i  [0.00]
1998 BMW 328ic  [0.00]
You actually dont need the Convenience Package (in the US at least), to have the option of the START/STOP button. If the key is in the car - even without the Conv. Package - you simply push the stop/start button with your foot on the brake and the car will start.

the Conv. Pack. allows you to unlock the car without pressing the key fob
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #22
Andrewob
Private
Rep
Drives: X3

I live in UK so not that cold really, but I would not buy a car with leather without heated seats, I use mine every day, just to take that chill off. They can be added after but it's far more expensive.

I would have the heated steering wheel too if not part of an expensive package here in UK
Appreciate 0