BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-14-2011, 06:30 PM   #23
flash3
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmachine View Post
You actually dont need the Convenience Package (in the US at least), to have the option of the START/STOP button. If the key is in the car - even without the Conv. Package - you simply push the stop/start button with your foot on the brake and the car will start.

the Conv. Pack. allows you to unlock the car without pressing the key fob
I actually want the ability to remotely start my car which is why I'm adding the comfort access option as part of the Conv Pkg
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 07:07 PM   #24
Hutt
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 x3

Maybe I am unimformed and I hope that is the case but I have had my x3 for 3 weeks now and am not aware of being able to start it remotely. And I have the conv package and don't think that is an option of any kind on the F25.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #25
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Comfort Access des not provide remote start capability.
      03-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #26
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
I actually want the ability to remotely start my car which is why I'm adding the comfort access option as part of the Conv Pkg
Nope, conv pkg does NOT allow you to remote start. You have to get into the car put your foot on the brake and then push the stop/start button otherwise your car won't start. When I asked about adding a remote start option I was told BMW does not provide that option on this car (not sure if it is available on other cars), as well I was told not to play with 3rd party remote starters, since that would challenge the entire security system of the car (which I am actually not planning to do anyway on the 50k$ car).

Conv package allows you to just touch the car door handles (only driver and front passenger) and open the car with the key in your pocket, as well you can just keep your finger on the designated area on the driver door handle and lock the car without having to dig down your pocket, find the key and click the lock button.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
jaymk5
Bheem (Powerful and Fearful)
United_States
Rep
Drives: "OnOrder" BMW X3 35i SpaceGray

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3 View Post
From everything I'm hearing here and given that I have the Comfort Access Key option, I can remotely start my car from home (set the iDrive to turn on the Heat) and then when I come into the car, at least the car is warm, I may opt out of the Heated Seats.

The Heated Steering Wheel for $190 isn't that bad do I need it?
As I told on my previous post this is not an option at all, but even if we assume you have the remote start, I do not think it will get your seats enough warm. Also you should consider about the selling point as well, consider a potential buyer of your car after say 4 or 5 years (when I will assume the heated seats may become standard on Toyato / Honda too..) he will for sure look for these convenience options as a value for his money, so consider it as a kind of investment and in the meantime you can enjoy it as well. Its upto you to choose or not, but just thought to let you know my take on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2011, 10:37 PM   #28
MA78
TK-421
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Eh. I stand by my anti-heated-seat comments. Its my Irish side craving self denial I guess. If it was free, or even cheap, I'd consider it. But there are so many other things that I'd rather spend that money on. Plus, I always feel like an iguana on a heat rock when I sit on heated seats. Dammit, I'm warm blooded!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:15 AM   #29
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
Nope, conv pkg does NOT allow you to remote start. You have to get into the car put your foot on the brake and then push the stop/start button otherwise your car won't start. When I asked about adding a remote start option I was told BMW does not provide that option on this car (not sure if it is available on other cars), as well I was told not to play with 3rd party remote starters, since that would challenge the entire security system of the car (which I am actually not planning to do anyway on the 50k$ car).

Conv package allows you to just touch the car door handles (only driver and front passenger) and open the car with the key in your pocket, as well you can just keep your finger on the designated area on the driver door handle and lock the car without having to dig down your pocket, find the key and click the lock button.
Thanks a lot for the info, sir!

And, no way in hell am I going with an after market remote start if BMW doesn't provide it standard.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
flash3
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymk5 View Post
As I told on my previous post this is not an option at all, but even if we assume you have the remote start, I do not think it will get your seats enough warm. Also you should consider about the selling point as well, consider a potential buyer of your car after say 4 or 5 years (when I will assume the heated seats may become standard on Toyato / Honda too..) he will for sure look for these convenience options as a value for his money, so consider it as a kind of investment and in the meantime you can enjoy it as well. Its upto you to choose or not, but just thought to let you know my take on it.
Yeah, it's definitely a consideration but assuming the market I sell the car in (let's say I go back home to FL) then heated seats/steering wheel def won't be an option, now if they had cooling seats....
Appreciate 0