BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-07-2016, 02:23 AM   #1871
happytreefriend
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 2015

CAFD Injection

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
In many cases, you need only Inject CAFD into ECU and VO Code it. In some cases, you must Flash / Encode ECU.
Thanks Shawn,. Is there some simple guideline how to do it? (I mean, CAFD injection + VIN entry procedure. Hope the VO coding will be the simplest thing after that all.

For X3 F25 owners: If you are retrofitting Halogen (Manual headlight hight control) to LCI BI-Xenon (automatic high control signal from sensors via ICM), you will probably get an error: "Software und Hardware coding unplausibel", after Vo coding FRM which 90% indicates that factory halogen FRM III is not OK for the LCI Bixenon. I will try to install suitable generic FRM III and let you know if the module is still throwing the same error....

If the new FRM III won't help to solve the issue..........game is over
I promise, next time I wont forget to order Xenons :-)))))))
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:37 PM   #1872
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpina B6 650ix GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by happytreefriend View Post
Thanks Shawn,. Is there some simple guideline how to do it? (I mean, CAFD injection + VIN entry procedure. Hope the VO coding will be the simplest thing after that all....
It would be as follows:

Connect => Read FA (VO) => Activate FA (VO) => Read SVT (VCM) => Left-Click on desired ECU => Click on "Detect CAF for SWE" => Select the CAFD from latest I-Level shown => Select OK => Right-Click on ECU (the ECU itself not the underlying CAFD) => Select CODE.

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 01:36 PM   #1873
happytreefriend
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F25 BMW X3 2015

F25 Halogen-xenon retrofit

Thanks Shawn. Information coming from you is always highly appreciated

Guys, one more practical question. In case your FRM/ FEM module can accept the 522 in VO, and the FDL code is changed appropriately to accept LCI bi-xenon...is it 'MUST' to have also the auto-leveling sensors installed via ICM module???.... can it be done later ?( In oder words, does FRM module energize the xenon pins even without the levelling sensor installed?)

My current FRM III factory build, changed the the FDL code after 522 VO coding (Software ok) but he new added pins for Xenon (supply to TMS modules) are dead (no voltage) + INPA is telling me that the FRMs hardware is somehow not matching the Software.

Have somebody ever heard, that factory build FRM III for halogens can not provide the support for LCI Bi-Xenon (hardware) ? (F-Series BMW)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 10:47 AM   #1874
RhoXS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Z3 3.0i + 2016 X3 28i

I am getting ready to code in some features on my new 2016 X3. In the limited few "Cheat Sheets" I found I have not seen anything for the following two features:

-Default to "Sport" mode instead of "Comfort" mode

-Allow the transmission to remain in high gear (8?) in "Sport" mode when on cruise control at Interstate Highway speeds (70-80 MPH).

Can these features be coded?

I made the big expensive annoying mistake of buying a 4 cylinder 28i instead of the 35i because I assumed throttle response would be equivalent to my 2011 6 cylinder 28i. It is certainly not equivalent and clearly unacceptable in the default "Comfort" mode. Adding insult to injury, when on cruise control on a level highway at 70-80 MPH, the transmission will not shift up to the highest gear. If I force it up with the paddle it drops back down in a few seconds so I do not get the best available highway economy. Performance and the satisfaction of a respectable throttle response is much more important to me so I always use "Sport" mode but see no reason I cannot get the benefit of slightly better economy when anything but the highest gear is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 09:27 AM   #1875
MicRofT
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2012 F10 535xd

Hello,

Can anyone try to point me in the right direction with disabling Auto-Start-Stop problem I wrote about few posts ago? I still haven't found any solution and coding of MSA options simply doesn't change anything...

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2016, 01:53 PM   #1876
bichoo
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 40i M-Sport

Both features cannot be coded unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RhoXS View Post
I am getting ready to code in some features on my new 2016 X3. In the limited few "Cheat Sheets" I found I have not seen anything for the following two features:

-Default to "Sport" mode instead of "Comfort" mode

-Allow the transmission to remain in high gear (8?) in "Sport" mode when on cruise control at Interstate Highway speeds (70-80 MPH).

Can these features be coded?

I made the big expensive annoying mistake of buying a 4 cylinder 28i instead of the 35i because I assumed throttle response would be equivalent to my 2011 6 cylinder 28i. It is certainly not equivalent and clearly unacceptable in the default "Comfort" mode. Adding insult to injury, when on cruise control on a level highway at 70-80 MPH, the transmission will not shift up to the highest gear. If I force it up with the paddle it drops back down in a few seconds so I do not get the best available highway economy. Performance and the satisfaction of a respectable throttle response is much more important to me so I always use "Sport" mode but see no reason I cannot get the benefit of slightly better economy when anything but the highest gear is not needed.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 05:11 AM   #1877
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2012 520dA Touring

Hi Shawn,
After last firmware update in BMW workshop I found that only ACSM module has changed: now I can't find the function "GWF_SBR_WARNDAUER" to change the seatbelt reminder duration. It's simply not there.
Do you know where did they put it? Or is there other way to code it?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 06:13 AM   #1878
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolaNoCalhau View Post
Hi Shawn,
After last firmware update in BMW workshop I found that only ACSM module has changed: now I can't find the function "GWF_SBR_WARNDAUER" to change the seatbelt reminder duration. It's simply not there.
Do you know where did they put it? Or is there other way to code it?
Thanks in advance
No, sorry, I am not aware of it disappearing or changing. What is name of your ACSM CAFD?

2018 F06 Alpina B6 650ix GC; Space Grey; Vermillion Red Nappa Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant
2017 F15 X5 xDrive50i MSport; Glacier Silver Metallic; Black Dakota Leather; Executive; B&O; Driving Assistant; RSE
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:21 AM   #1879
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
No, sorry, I am not aware of it disappearing or changing. What is name of your ACSM CAFD?
The name you're requesting is the file name?
If not, how can I find it?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:23 AM   #1880
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The name you're requesting is the file name?
If not, how can I find it?
You said you cannot find GWF_SBR_WARNDAUER in CAFD. What is name of your CAFD in E-Sys?

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 07:25 AM   #1881
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
You said you cannot find GWF_SBR_WARNDAUER in CAFD. What is name of your CAFD in E-Sys?
Ok, give me a couple of hours to connect to car and I'll tell you right away.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #1882
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Hi Shawn,

So the name of the CAFD is:
CAFD_0000090B_004_004_012
Attached I send 2 screenshots of what's inside this CAFD.
As I said previously, before the last firmware update I was coding the SBR duration in this CAFD, section 3001. Now this section is not there as well as many other functions in this section and 3000.

There are 2 others that I never got access to because E-Sys doesn't find the files.
These are:
CAFD_00000909_004_004_002
CAFD_0000090A_004_003_062
Nevertheless, the function I'm looking for was placed in the 1st CAFD.

Hope you or someone can give a hand.

Last edited by RolaNoCalhau; 04-30-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #1883
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Shawn,

So the name of the CAFD is:
CAFD_0000090B_004_004_012
Attached I send 2 screenshots of what's inside this CAFD.
As I said previously, before the last firmware update I was coding the SBR duration in this CAFD, section 3001. Now this section is not there as well as many other functions in this section and 3000.

There are 2 others that I never got access to because E-Sys doesn't find the files.
These are:
CAFD_00000909_004_004_002
CAFD_0000090A_004_003_062
Nevertheless, the function I'm looking for was placed in the 1st CAFD.

Hope you or someone can give a hand.
Please post a picture of your SVT showing ACSM module and all 3 CAFD Files under it.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:22 PM   #1884
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Please post a picture of your SVT showing ACSM module and all 3 CAFD Files under it.
Here it is!

Last edited by RolaNoCalhau; 04-30-2016 at 05:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:43 PM   #1885
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Here it is!
You must code CAFD_00000909_004_004_002; not CAFD_0000090B_004_004_012. If you are missing this CAFD from E-Sys, make sure you have the latest 58.2 PSdZdata.

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2016, 12:54 PM   #1886
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
You must code CAFD_00000909_004_004_002; not CAFD_0000090B_004_004_012. If you are missing this CAFD from E-Sys, make sure you have the latest 58.2 PSdZdata.
Tks Shawn!
That must be it, my PSdZdata is more than 1 year old.
I'll give it a try. Tks
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2016, 07:49 PM   #1887
city1991
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 535i x drive F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by April1
Coding made easy: Step by step instructions for Fxx Series

Coding is for people who want to play with the settings of BMW car software to achieve something more desirable. Coding is not really a programming; it is another name for re-configuring the software of your car. There are limited risks of messing up with your car SW but if you are careful, follow step by step instructions and know and understand what you are doing, it may be OK to go ahead. Never try to guess and do it, be absolutely sure for your steps, clarify your doubts before you proceed. There are experts on the forum who are willing to help you, don't hesitate to ask even a silliest question. Never-the-less, if you want to try new unknown settings which others have not tried, believe me, you are playing with fire.

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS VERY CAREFULLY.

What is needed for coding:
  1. ENET cable
  2. E-Sys software 3.26.1 with EST token and Pin
  3. psdzdata 54.2
  4. A dedicated laptop with Windows 7 with minimum 16 GB of free space
  5. Backup utility for CAF files (optional), file attached
  6. Useful Cheat Sheet for Fxx, file for F25 attached, others are available in different forums

Prepare your setup:

You can build your own cable or buy from a good source. Use shielded cables only. Cable should be reliable as interruption and electrical noise interference of any kind during coding could be very risky.

Delete unwanted SW and data from your laptop. It may be worthwhile to de-fragment your HD of laptop before installing the coding software as this software will occupy almost 12 GB to 44 GB of space on HD. Use the power adapter to keep batteries charged all the time as installation will take several minutes depending upon the performance of the laptop and data storage media.

Always try to clarify your doubts on forum as it also helps other readers, but you are welcome to contact me directly for any help if that boosts your confidence.

E-Sys Software installation:

Use the following procedure to install software on your laptop:
  1. Installation file for the E-Sys is an exe file whose name is like “E-Sys_Setup_3_24_3_RC_b38445.exe”
  2. Double click on this file and follow the instructions on the screen.
  3. Use default settings.
  4. Once the E-Sys is installed, it will create two folders on C: drive, namely Data and EC-Apps
  5. Copy your procured psdzdata folder and replace empty folder under “C:\Data\”
  6. It will create a desktop shortcut to start E-Sys

Setting up the EST token for E-Sys:
  1. Create a folder EST anywhere on C: drive. You can create under C:\Data and copy your token ( a *.est file)
  2. Launch E-Sys by double clicking its shortcut on desktop. It might take a minute to start, have patience.
  3. Select Options > Settings. Select EST tab.
  4. Click on the browse button with three dots ( … ) and navigate to EST folder C:\Data\EST
  5. Select file "******.est" and click OK to save the location and close the “Settings” window.

(If you have procured your token from an external source, follow additional supplied directions to complete token installation)

Preparation for coding:
  1. It's a good practice, though not a must, to shut off any wireless or Bluetooth service on the laptop. Let just laptop and car talk to each other with no external interference.
  2. As a precaution, disable any firewall on the laptop. I don't like even any anti-virus software as their behavior is not well known, and may interfere with the communication. It’s advisable to disable them.
  3. It is preferred to start with fully charged batteries of laptop and car as no interruption can be tolerated during transfer of data from laptop to Car. For long coding session, a car battery charger may be needed.
  4. Car audio and video drain off the battery fast, so better switch them off during coding.

Connect E-Sys to your Car:
  1. Connect ENET cable between car's OBD port and network port of laptop.
  2. Switch on the ignition of the car, don't start the engine.
  3. You will notice laptop tries to connect to the car. Wait a few minutes until the network icon on laptop shows a Connection with the yellow exclamation point over it. If you don’t see the network icon due to your laptop settings, wait for a minute.
  4. Start your E-Sys on your laptop.
  5. Press connect button on top row of E-Sys to connect car with the laptop.
  6. It opens up a dialog box.
  7. Select the correct TargetSelector for your model of the car, e.g. F025 and not F025_DIRECT for X3 model.
  8. Select "Connection via VIN" and press Connect.
  9. Wait for the Connection message. Click OK. If the connection was established successfully you see the selected target in the status bar at the bottom.

Full backup of Car's configuration files:

It's a good practice to take a full back up of Car's original settings before any changes are made to the car. These files could be used as reference in case it is desired to go back to original settings of any or all features.

Read and Save FA:
  1. Connect E-Sys to your car.
  2. Select "Expert Mode" on the left pane and click on "Coding" button therein. It will display 4 sections/Boxes on the right side.
  3. In Vehicle Order Box (upper left), click on "Read" button, it would display FA of your car under FA List.
  4. Select FA and click on “Save” button. Save as FA_original.
  5. Test button above will show the path of the saved FA file.

Read and Save SVT:
  1. Look at SVT Actual Box (right pane, midway down) and click on "Read SVT" button.
  2. SVT box on left will display SVT of different modules of your car.
  3. Click on the Save button on SVT Actual box and name the saved file as SVT_original.
  4. Text button above will display the path of the saved file.

Read and Save CAFD (ncd) files:
  1. Inside SVT box (left side), you see SVT, containing ECUs and each ECU contains files in expanded view.
  2. Notice that some of the CFD files will have green check marks. These green marked CAFD files are of our interest.
  3. Right click on first green marked CAFD and then press and hold control key on your laptop and click on all other similar marked CAFD files. This way all such CAFD files will be selected for further operation.
  4. Now move to right in “Coding” box and click on "Read Coding data". After codes are read, green icon will change into a folder icon and the files inside will contain the data read from your car.
  5. Check the folder "C:\Data\CAF”, this will contain all the read CAFD files.
  6. Copy and Save all the files in a safe place. These are your original CAFD files.
  7. Alternatively, you can use utility "Copy_CAF_v3.bat", copy it anywhere on your laptop and double click on it to automatically save the files under a Folder "C:\My_CAF_Files" with date and time stamp.

Reading current Integration Step (I-Step) of your car:

It’s good to know the current I-Step of your car as that decides the minimum version of psdzdata that can be used to code your car.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car following the steps given above.
  2. Select expert mode on the left pane and click on VCM button.
  3. On the right bottom box, select “Master” tab.
  4. In I-Steps box, click on “Read” button.
  5. Integration Steps boxes above will be populated with the data. Note down the I-Step (current).

Coding CAFD files:

CAFD files (ncd) contain the setting data/ parameters for each ECU. Modifying the values in these files change the behavior of ECUs.
  1. Connect E-Sys to car and follow the steps to read CAFD file/s to be coded. (You may take help of cheat files to decide which ECU you would like to code and which are the associated CAFD files).
  2. Expand the folder of the selected CAFD file. Right click on the CAFD file and click "Edit FDL". Enter the pin if asked.
  3. Open the module you wanted to edit under “Daten”, click on the Functionen folder, then open the ausgelessen folder of the selected function. It will show the current settings.
  4. Change them as per Cheat Sheet and Save.
  5. To be on the safer side, edit only one ECU at a time.
  6. After making all changes in the CAFD files of ECU as per the cheat sheet for that function, save and go back by pressing top extreme left green arrow "back" button.
  7. Now you can see FA again. Right click on it and "Activate FA". You will see a green active text next to FA. Also FP will open on the right side.
  8. Select the edited CAFD file on SVT box and Click on "Code FDL" in coding box on right.
  9. Coding process will start and should end with no errors.
  10. Take a backup of all the CAFD files again and save in a different folder. Best way is to use "Copy_CAF_v3.bat". Copy it anywhere on your laptop and just double click on it, all will be done for you and files will be saved under a new date time stamped folder.
  11. Great, you coded one module. Disconnect E-Sys by clicking on top Connect button which is showing a red x. You are done.
  12. Test the car for the changed feature. Some features require 15 -30 minutes to get activated where as some are instant and few need you to switch off the and lock the car and unlock and start.

Contact me in case you need any help.
Is it possible to have someone code from a remote area? Like I'm in Iowa and someone can code my car from California or Oklahoma? Someone in the 3 series forum could do it, anyone here?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #1888
RolaNoCalhau
Private
Portugal
Rep

Quote:
Tks once again Shawn.
My PSdZdata was too old.
With new version it was piece of cake.
Cheers
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #1889
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

I would like to be able to play video either from the HDD or USB drive (or iPhone when connected to the USB port). i thought this was possible without coding, but it appears not. Please can someone guide me in what to code. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:12 PM   #1890
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by city1991 View Post
Is it possible to have someone code from a remote area? Like I'm in Iowa and someone can code my car from California or Oklahoma? Someone in the 3 series forum could do it, anyone here?
Yes, Remote coding is possible so long as you have a stable Internet Connection, a fully functional coding laptop, with working E-Sys and PSdZData, as well as an ENET Interface Cable Connection to the car.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:14 PM   #1891
shawnsheridan
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickb3 View Post
I would like to be able to play video either from the HDD or USB drive (or iPhone when connected to the USB port). i thought this was possible without coding, but it appears not. Please can someone guide me in what to code. Thanks.
What Head Unit do you have?

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 01:49 PM   #1892
nickb3
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
What Head Unit do you have?
NBT (2016 build car)
Appreciate 0