BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-17-2015, 12:12 PM   #1
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

FYI: Driver & passenger windows

While I had my car in for its annual oil service I mentioned to my SA that my window was making a slight creaking noise as it goes up or down particularly when it is a bit cold (and by cold I mean California cold--not Siberian). The window was functioning fine but I was a little concerned that it may be a sign of an imminent failure.

After a few days of fiddling around the dealer learned that there was a known issue on the windows. Evidently the curvature of the glass is not ideal so the dealer decided to replace the window regulators, motors, AND the glass with newer spec parts. They also replaced the passenger side window as a precautionary measure even though it wasn't exhibiting any symptoms. According to the invoice, BMW changed window regulators from "Inteva" to "Brose" after 4/1/2013. If you're hearing a slight creaky noise from your windows you might want to bring this up on your next service visit. Note that it required an overnight stay to reprogram the car after installing the new hardware.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-17-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Mine is doing this especially when it was cold all winter. I'll be sure to mention it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
bmkman
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMX X3 F25 N52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetaX View Post
While I had my car in for its annual oil service I mentioned to my SA that my window was making a slight creaking noise as it goes up or down particularly when it is a bit cold (and by cold I mean California cold--not Siberian). The window was functioning fine but I was a little concerned that it may be a sign of an imminent failure.

After a few days of fiddling around the dealer learned that there was a known issue on the windows. Evidently the curvature of the glass is not ideal so the dealer decided to replace the window regulators, motors, AND the glass with newer spec parts. They also replaced the passenger side window as a precautionary measure even though it wasn't exhibiting any symptoms. According to the invoice, BMW changed window regulators from "Inteva" to "Brose" after 4/1/2013. If you're hearing a slight creaky noise from your windows you might want to bring this up on your next service visit. Note that it required an overnight stay to reprogram the car after installing the new hardware.
I had similar problem but I don't think the changed the glass just motor and regulator. It gets cold in the North but ironically this issue just happened in spring. My window made noises like a squeaking chipmunk so I told my son the chipmunk is working hard to open the window...now he asks me if I feed the chipmunk.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #4
JSY
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Garage List
When I had my 2012 X3, it was the first thing that failed about 1-2 months after I drove it off the dealer lot. Except for me, it was the rear passenger window - it only went down partially. They also replaced the regulator, but I think they only did it for that window at that time. I wonder if this is all related.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 09:44 AM   #5
2011X3NYC35I
Rep
Drives: bmw x3 35i 2011

Is this covered under recall?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:29 PM   #6
MetaX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011X3NYC35I View Post
Is this covered under recall?
They replaced it under warranty and not recall. There's probably a TSB out there for it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #7
exon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i Jet Black!

good info. I have the exact same problem.
Appreciate 0