BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Battery Life?

I know there are a lot of factors to determine how long our batteries should last but is there a general census as to how long it should last? Mine is 5 years old. Of course it got real cold here the last 2 days and I've got it on a charger but even when it is fully charged I get the message that when I shut off the car to restart it cause the battery is not charged.
I'm just trying to get an idea as to weather or not I need a new one. I probably do. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:29 AM   #2
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

I think the cold might impact things generally, even on an otherwise healthy battery. There is also some kind of power distribution module that was the subject of an update/TSB that impacted both my family's X3s (2011 N52 and 2013 N20).
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 10:57 AM   #3
Wgosma
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F25 X3 28i (N52)

Best way to gauge battery status is load test- any shop can do this.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 12:53 PM   #4
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F25 E91 Audi Avnt E90 Cayenne

cold here .

I did get the battery warning notice.

-But the battery tender says the battery is at 100%.
-I did a 2 hours trip, and from a 2 minutes stop, the warning still there when I get back on the road.
- the car run just fine, no issue at all.

So my battery might just at the end of his life, or this notice appear bellow XX°C.

https://www.bmwofcincinnatinorth.com...ning-light.htm

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2019, 03:24 PM   #5
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Florida here.

6 years on the original battery and still going strong.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 05:59 AM   #6
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riick View Post
Florida here.

6 years on the original battery and still going strong.
for sure it helps, but its all about the maintenance.

on my dads brand new durango back in 2000, he sold the truck in 2013, original battery, and 143k miles on the clock.

yes it was a huge battery, but there were caps on the top to top the acid, parked in a garage and times to times on a battery tender.

in 13 years, the car saw a lot of -10°F and bellow.

My audi, its been 6 years, 1 deep discharge (amps on), still running great.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #7
SANK_CH
Captain
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: A Number 4

Maybe this may help you. Last year i had a meeting about 500 km away from office. Arrived there, put my car (F26) in a parking lot, and gave my car key to the guy of the parking lot (it has to be done so). After the meeting took my car back and drove back home, again 500 km trip. Next morning when I woke up, the I drive informed me that "the battery discharged too quickly while beeing parked. If the message was coming again, it should be checked by a rep."
So mainly the guy at the parking lot did not shut down my car correctly and the battery discharged. What is surprising, is that even with a trip of 500km the battery wasn't able to charge again.
The same day I had twice this message, I remember a 20 year old advice from a Ford rep friend. In the evening, i searched for a place outside away from houses. you park there, put the gear in "N" while engine still on, you turn off all stuff that consume volts (Idrive, automatic lights, AC, and so on) and you press on the gas pedal to let you engine turn between 3'000 and 3'5000 tr per min. Keep it so during 4-5 minutes. pay attention at the temperature of the oil or engine. Mine turned the pedal off automaticaly after 3 minutes because of the temperature of the oil getting too hot. Anyway after 4-5 minutes you have charged your battery again. Since that I never had again this message, and i did not needed to change the battery. I hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 05:55 PM   #8
AX3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 28i

Well today I got a new battery. Dealer told me it was bad and needed to be replaced. I would have thought it might have lasted a bit longer but it is what it is. I shouldn't have to worry about getting stranded in the cold now.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #9
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

So we got the battery discharge warning on Monday during the deep freeze after my wife left the car outdoors for a few hours. Was a one time thing and it has not resurfaced rest of the week. I put it on the smart charger for a few hours last night - I really should do that as a routine.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Riick
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
So we got the battery discharge warning on Monday during the deep freeze after my wife left the car outdoors for a few hours. Was a one time thing and it has not resurfaced rest of the week. I put it on the smart charger for a few hours last night - I really should do that as a routine.
Living in Canada you should have it plugged into a smart charger and oil pan heater during the winter.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 03:55 PM   #11
sdk7x7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 28i

7 years for me, 35K miles. One of the terminals on the battery should have the date of manufacture stamped on it (e.g., 32 12 = 32nd week of 2012). Extreme weather, particularly very hot climates such as the U.S. Southwest, will reduce battery life.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6M, 2019 X3 M40I

Quote:
Living in Canada you should have it plugged into a smart charger and oil pan heater during the winter.
Hardly anyone uses a block heater these days......trickle charging is a relatively new gig for me..I'll play...here and there...Go Kanaderrrrr
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #13
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

Once the outside temp dropped to -20C I noticed the auto start/stop was not working. I figured the battery was not fully charged so I put on the Ctek charger. Next time out the ASS system was working. Then the temp dropped more to about -25C and I got the "battery discharge" warning. Put the Ctek on overnight and the next night as well. No more messages. It has warmed up outside to +8C and all is well.
I had similar issues last winter too. The battery gets cold and stays cold because of it's position in the way back. We rarely drive more than 20 minutes on a trip so it never really gets to charge or warm up and the heated seats/steering wheel, lights, stereo and defrosters are on all the time. I think the charger is a necessity for this kind of situation. A battery blanket might be a good idea too if you are in very cold climate.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
oVeRdOsE.
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
Once the outside temp dropped to -20C I noticed the auto start/stop was not working. I figured the battery was not fully charged so I put on the Ctek charger. Next time out the ASS system was working. Then the temp dropped more to about -25C and I got the "battery discharge" warning. Put the Ctek on overnight and the next night as well. No more messages. It has warmed up outside to +8C and all is well.
I had similar issues last winter too. The battery gets cold and stays cold because of it's position in the way back. We rarely drive more than 20 minutes on a trip so it never really gets to charge or warm up and the heated seats/steering wheel, lights, stereo and defrosters are on all the time. I think the charger is a necessity for this kind of situation. A battery blanket might be a good idea too if you are in very cold climate.
so far , even with the message, I had no issue at all. Cold probably drop the voltage, but there's enough current to do the job.

And damn those engine seems to be efficient. Yesterday, it was -11°C, and it was raining. Hard to drive rain get into ice right after it touch the windshield... Also the roads were very slippery.

I did a 45 minutes ride (about 65km/h), and the oil Temp° gauge didn't move a bit. all the heat get suck by the heater core and the rain on the rad I believe.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:32 AM   #15
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Have not found the need to go oil pan / block heater yet - this car is still garage parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
For us, Stop/Start has always been inactive at around freezing temps. I'm personally happy that it's smart enough to know that. The threshold is moved up more if the heater is also running.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
rirrgang
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 x35i

My 2012 X3 is on it's third battery. The third went in around 67k miles
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #17
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rirrgang View Post
My 2012 X3 is on it's third battery. The third went in around 67k miles
Crikey...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #18
Bilbofraggins
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokerface View Post
Have not found the need to go oil pan / block heater yet - this car is still garage parked

For us, Stop/Start has always been inactive at around freezing temps. I'm personally happy that it's smart enough to know that. The threshold is moved up more if the heater is also running.
Not a fan of this stop start malarkey.... makes me think I’m riding in a golf cart... then again..
Appreciate 0