BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

09-15-2014, 01:58 PM   #1
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

Rear door courtesy light

I have decided to change some of the lights to led, I gave changed the boot lights and the lights in the bottom of both front doors however when I unclipped the rear door lamp holder the shade and bulb holder came out but the wire / connector that snaps it to the holder detached inside the door. I have had a fumble with my fingers inside the door and located the wire but there isn't enough slack to reattach it to the holder, is there an easy DIY solution?

Worst case solution is a trip to the dealer and plead ignorance and suggest it has never worked however if I say I want the led lamp putting in they will guess I caused the problem - and if I say nothing about the led lamp they will reconnect the bulb and I will be back to square one and unable to change it.
      09-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Smithy2014
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 2.0d msport Auto

SORTED! Got a friend who is a mechanic to have a look and both rear doors had the same problem - the cable was a short as it could possibly be to reach the bulb holder, not sure if this is a common problem or not but if you ever need to change the lights in the bottom of the rear doors expect fun and games!

In the end he managed to get some thin long nosed pliers in to hold the wire in question whilst he had another pair of pliers trying to connect the holder to it - took a while and a great deal of patience but in the end he sorted it.

Looks great at night now, the lights in the bottom of the doors now match the LEDs in the door handles
      09-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #3
Rik762
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 M50i

Yes - mine were very short in the wire dept also.
Appreciate 0