BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

12-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #1
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Battery Discharge problem

I have a '11 X3 35i. I left my car outside the past 2 nights in -20c weather and I started it and got this error. I was able to start the car, and drove it 2 hours, but even when I turn it off/on it still has it.

I bought a trickle charger, and it show as my voltage at 12.4 and that it's fully charged. Anyone have any ideas what I need to do? This error blocks a lot of things from running and I can't find out how to reset it and I am wondering if there's any other issue since the BV is fine.

Also, I brought it inside and let it warm for 8 hours, still the same, so I'm not sure what's going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2017, 10:45 PM   #2
02420X3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

1) It's definitely cold in YUL, -20C, -4F! Batteries don't like cold (or heat). I get those temps tonight and tomorrow. The battery in my other daily driver car, a Suburu Outback, turned up dead tonight, and I plan to have it replaced tomorrow. (Thank you AAA, and your battery replacement service!)
2) Is that the original battery in your X3? If so, 6+ years later, it's probably time to replace it.
3) According to BMW, a new battery must be Registered in your X3 so that it gets charged properly. Some buy a replacement battery from BMW and do so, some buy a replacement battery elsewhere and pay the BMW dealer to do the Registration, some buy the battery elsewhere and do nothing farther, and some buy the battery elsewhere and use coding tools to do the registration.
4) Is that a CTEK or BMW (rebranded) trickle charger? You don't want to overcharge an AGM battery.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #3
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

The other day when it was really f'in cold, my X3 was also saying to charge the battery and "Battery discharging while stopped". I was starting to look into new batteries but a few people said that BMW is just temperamental in the cold and to just charge it overnight. So i put it on my charger (a ctek smart charger) and havent had it come back yet. My understanding is that the vehicle doesnt charge the battery to 100% so every once in a while, and especially when its cold, it helps to put it on the charger and bring it up to 100%.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
pokerface
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 N20 / F80 ZCP

Yep. Got this warning yesterday after a week sitting in the garage. Certainly not as cold in Toronto as in Montreal, but we did start to approach -20C yesterday. I hit the BMW with a smart charger (Noco G7200). I used to do it more frequently in the past as a matter of preventative measure.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 09:49 AM   #5
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin82 View Post
The other day when it was really f'in cold, my X3 was also saying to charge the battery and "Battery discharging while stopped". I was starting to look into new batteries but a few people said that BMW is just temperamental in the cold and to just charge it overnight. So i put it on my charger (a ctek smart charger) and havent had it come back yet. My understanding is that the vehicle doesnt charge the battery to 100% so every once in a while, and especially when its cold, it helps to put it on the charger and bring it up to 100%.
Ok, thanks for the advice. It might save me a new batt if I can extend this one a bit longer. I have a B&D charger but it was reading about 12.4 volts and it said fully charged, but I pressed charge again and now it's charging at 2.9a (is that too high)?

Anyways, I appreciate all the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

We see this every year:
-yes, BMW has decided not to fully charge our batteries - to earn some merit points in the US gas guzzler system.
-yes, this is stupid
-yes, you should trickle charge your battery, to avoid battery problem
-yes, Best in Class is CTEK - others might also do the job.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #7
doru
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92, f25, e46, e83

Quote:
This.
Had the same thing happening to me. If that message with low battery and accessories stopped while vehicle off persists AFTER the battery is charged, it's time for a new battery.
Just to be clear: If one charges the battery through charging terminals under the hood (this is the correct way - clamping onto battery is a risk of damaging electrical/electronic components), after charging done, the message will pop up once you start the car. It will go away once you start driving. If the warning triangle doesn't go away after the car has started, or if it still persists after the 2nd start - the battery needs replacing.

For people who live in cold climate: do yourself a favor if you have to replace a battery and change it with an AGM (don't forget to program & register it). Talked with my indy quite a while ago about this issue and he confirmed what the stealer told me that the AGM's are preferred in cold climate - more rugged in cold weather, withstands these high temperature swings (summer-winter) and do not discharge as bad. Did this on my e92 and holds true. The other day when it was cold, I had to charge the original battery on the X, and I hooked the trickle charger on my e92, just to be safe. I know a trickle charger takes quite a while to fully charge a 70-80% battery. To my surprise it showed fully charged in less than an hour, meaning that AGM is charging quite well with that IBS if properly programmed & registered.

e83 N52
e46ci M54B25 (e53 N62 - sold, R.I.P. e39 M54B30)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #8
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

I kept the charge going for about 7 hours, got it to 13V and error message was gone. Thanks for everyone's help! Weird why the alternator doesn't get it that high to get rid of the problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:54 AM   #9
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlcruisin View Post
I kept the charge going for about 7 hours, got it to 13V and error message was gone. Thanks for everyone's help! Weird why the alternator doesn't get it that high to get rid of the problem.
The alternator can supply what is needed and a lot more! The car's electronics are designed such that when the car is being driven under normal driving conditions the alternator will only charge the battery to 80% of its capacity. This allows for Brake Force Regeneration to supply the other 20%.

When you use a battery charger and it is connected to Positive and Negative posts under the bonnet/hood, the electronics allow/control the charger to take it up to 100%. This is why it is best to purchase a battery charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:43 PM   #10
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport

same for my 35i , same happend on my 335i. BMW's battery / whatever sucks hard for cold weather. Drive it for ~30-45min you'll be fine
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #11
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDRAN0x View Post
same for my 35i , same happend on my 335i. BMW's battery / whatever sucks hard for cold weather. Drive it for ~30-45min you'll be fine
All car manufactures batteries have a problem in cold weather. Not just BMW....

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-batter...weather-607889
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 04:09 PM   #12
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

I now have the low battery warning. The battery has 12.7v with engine off and 14.7v wile engine running. I have a CTEK charger on order. It won't be here for a few more days. Is it ok to charge with a regular charger.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2017, 09:27 PM   #13
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
All car manufactures batteries have a problem in cold weather. Not just BMW....

https://www.thoughtco.com/why-batter...weather-607889
My subies don't and aren't used as much
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

I just charged mine today. This last week has been cold, no most trips have been under 9 miles at a time. In the teens and lower 20s. And use of heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Last year I had the battery go completely dead when, for some reason, the car didn't turn off electronics in the car.

Battery was low according to the charger.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #15
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevink1 View Post
I just charged mine today. This last week has been cold, no most trips have been under 9 miles at a time. In the teens and lower 20s. And use of heated seats and heated steering wheel.

Last year I had the battery go completely dead when, for some reason, the car didn't turn off electronics in the car.

Battery was low according to the charger.
Did you use an old school charger or a smart charger for AGM
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
jimmydick
Boner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 AW ZCP

There's a tsb for this
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #17
xDRAN0x
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
wondering the same but it seems like we need a specific BMW charger?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #18
Merlin82
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 Xdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDRAN0x View Post
wondering the same but it seems like we need a specific BMW charger?
No, for the most part you just need a smart charger like the CTEK one or something similar. They actually watch the battery a bit more and adjust based on the needs. Old school chargers just dump in however many amps they are made for.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 04:16 PM   #19
BIG_KID
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, for the most part you just need a smart charger like the CTEK one or something similar. They actually watch the battery a bit more and adjust based on the needs. Old school chargers just dump in however many amps they are made for.
Ok thanks. Mine should be here in a couple days. I got the old lady driving back up SUV and bimmer in the warm(er) garage. I'm looking for replacement battery also, it's stamped 06-11 so it's original and probably due....
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:00 PM   #20
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

I have a 2011 X3 and I replied to this post many years ago but here is the solution. It is not a fix, but will sort the problem. I bought a battery blanket (heater) and the main problem is a basic battery concept that a cold battery has a reduced capacity. So when it is very cold, the car thinks the battery is fully charged even if the actual capacity is low.

The location of the battery is the main problem. Because it is in the trunk and other the floor, it never warms up when it is cold, even if you drive the car for a long time. I had a heated garage which I kept at 10C all winter long and when the car is cold soaked for a full day at work, the warmer fixed it right away.

As soon as I started warming the battery while working (Saskatchewan, -30C weather), the problem actually went away... until I stopped. No real need for a trickle charger if you get the warmer. The battery will properly recharge as you drive. It is cheap, like 50$, and the install takes a few minutes. Unfortunately the cable will be in the trunk but it still works really well. I would close the hatch on the cable no problem.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 05:02 PM   #21
Hornet_Rider
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 35i 2011 M-Sport

By the way, a new battery will not fix the problem... Don't waste your money.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
kevink1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 xDrive28d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG_KID View Post
It is a smart charger that has settings for AGM, STD, and I think GEL.
Appreciate 0