BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-21-2021, 12:40 PM   #1
seattleweather
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3

2014 X3 X28i malfunction

All of a sudden i have 4 malfunctions or errors,
Level control, SOS, Front Collision, Driver assistant. I also saw the configuration files error message too.
(1) Is this battery related? Still have old battery, and was low in the winter
(2). Can I remove the battery and reconnect to reset the message?
(3). Do I need to recode the battery if I buy the same battery?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
You need to properly test the battery health prior to diagnosing any errors or you're wasting your time. You need to register the new battery if you install one of the same exact capacity, this has been discussed many times if you do a search in the forum.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
seattleweather
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
You need to properly test the battery health prior to diagnosing any errors or you're wasting your time. You need to register the new battery if you install one of the same exact capacity, this has been discussed many times if you do a search in the forum.
The battery is fine. 12.2V when the car is not running and 15.5V when it's running. Vehicle configuration inconsistent. Check...showed up along with others. I resetted the software today, it did not solve the problem. One more error: instrument panel malfunction also showed up. Please help!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 11:02 PM   #4
pungo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4MC-X3-35i-525i, Corrado G60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleweather View Post
The battery is fine. 12.2V when the car is not running and 15.5V when it's running. Vehicle configuration inconsistent. Check...showed up along with others. I resetted the software today, it did not solve the problem. One more error: instrument panel malfunction also showed up. Please help!
There's more to testing the battery health then just measuring the voltage. Also 12.2 is only 50% charged, so I wouldn't say it's fine. If the charging voltage is 15.5v when running, that's maxed out which is an indication it's attempting to charge a low battery. Like I said, the battery health needs to be properly tested, which can not be done by just measuring the voltage.

What did you do to reset the software
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #5
seattleweather
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pungo View Post
There's more to testing the battery health then just measuring the voltage. Also 12.2 is only 50% charged, so I wouldn't say it's fine. If the charging voltage is 15.5v when running, that's maxed out which is an indication it's attempting to charge a low battery. Like I said, the battery health needs to be properly tested, which can not be done by just measuring the voltage.

What did you do to reset the software
you are correct about the battery. i used charger to charge it about 8 hrs, and it went down to 12.2v next day. it's time to search for replacement.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Appreciate 0