BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

04-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #23
Rogerbu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 GO1 30e M Sport

I have to say that the Reverse Logic jack pad was worse than useless. It just sits on top of the trolley jack head. No socket that fits the trolley jack. The car actually slipped off the jack whilst lifting. Luckily no damage done. In summary, with my trolley jack the Jack Pads are dangerous.

I have reverted to using a bottle jack that fits inside the car's socket.

The wheel hanger works well.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:36 PM   #24
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbu View Post
I have to say that the Reverse Logic jack pad was worse than useless. It just sits on top of the trolley jack head. No socket that fits the trolley jack. The car actually slipped off the jack whilst lifting. Luckily no damage done. In summary, with my trolley jack the Jack Pads are dangerous.

I have reverted to using a bottle jack that fits inside the car's socket.

The wheel hanger works well.
I suspect you had the same issue that I did.

I've seen trolley jack heads (aka cups, saddles) that are big enough to fit the Reverse Logic tool. Mine isn't nearly big enough to hold it, so the tool just sat on top. I contemplated using it that way for about 5 seconds before deciding against it and lifting without the jack pad.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 05:42 PM   #25
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep
Drives: P3D-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post
I suspect you had the same issue that I did.

I've seen trolley jack heads (aka cups, saddles) that are big enough to fit the Reverse Logic tool. Mine isn't nearly big enough to hold it, so the tool just sat on top. I contemplated using it that way for about 5 seconds before deciding against it and lifting without the jack pad.
sedans owners with low profile aluminum jacks are the perfect demographic for this tool. for the X3, i plan to use a hockey puck between the pad and jack to prevent slippage
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:09 PM   #26
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i, 2021 X3 M40i

I was all set to buy this jack pad until I read this thread. Why not just put a little 2x4 piece on top of the jack cradle and raise the jack up to the plastic jack points on the X3? A lot cheaper and seems like there would be more surface. As far as the hanger I thought they meant to hang the wheels on the wall until I talked to Reverselogic. That's a great idea for it's use...whenever I changed over my wheels, and I had 20" winter/summer's, i would sit in front of the wheel hub and lift the tires up with my toes and depending on how i positioned the wheel the lugs would be aligned or just off. then I would try to rotate the wheel a little with my feet. I like this idea a whole lot better.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #27
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadman50 View Post
I was all set to buy this jack pad until I read this thread. Why not just put a little 2x4 piece on top of the jack cradle and raise the jack up to the plastic jack points on the X3?
Because the jack point is plastic and you could easily damage the plastic or have it fail while the car is lifted. I do have the jack pad, but I keep a fitted 2x2 in the car. Just make sure that the grain is parallel to the ground surface.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 04:09 PM   #28
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioactive View Post
Because the jack point is plastic and you could easily damage the plastic or have it fail while the car is lifted. I do have the jack pad, but I keep a fitted 2x2 in the car. Just make sure that the grain is parallel to the ground surface.
I called the dealer to see how they raise the cars and they jack up right on the plastic piece. No jack pad. it looks like the bottom surface of the Reverselogic pad is smooth steel and I might think that with the steel jack cradle could easily slide off the underside of the jack pad. What's been your experience with the jack pad? I also saw someone else posted about using a hockey puck which seems reasonable since it will have some friction on both sides.
As far as the lug bolt guide goes, is one enough to do the job? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 07:10 PM   #29
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I also saw someone else posted about using a hockey puck which seems reasonable since it will have some friction on both sides.
- the measly puck works like a charm every time
- 1 bolt guide is enough. for many, it's just for assisting with the weight... dang RFTs are heavy!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:12 PM   #30
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver View Post
- the measly puck works like a charm every time
- 1 bolt guide is enough. for many, it's just for assisting with the weight... dang RFTs are heavy!
that's good because i asked one of my friends to bring in one of his pucks tomorrow. I'll check it out on the jack cradle qnd plastic piece over the w/e. I probably will order a pair of guides since that's the way the come in the clearance cnter. they are slightly damaged but who cares...as long as they screw into the holes. My last 20" tire/wheel combo was 78 lbs! I hope these are less. thanks. winter is right around the corner. I just got a good deal on some 307's and am looking for tires and TPMS now. Don't know if I want to stick with RFT or not. I think i'll go with Michelin though either way.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
Tangsta
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '22 x3 M40i

Quote:
it looks like the bottom surface of the Reverselogic pad is smooth steel and I might think that with the steel jack cradle could easily slide off the underside of the jack pad. What's been your experience with the jack pad?
I think the jack pad is made to go with a jack that has a saddle like this one (wide, flat, rubber):

no hockey pucks necessary

Unfortunately, my jack (like many others) is more like this:

which renders the jack pad absolutely useless, hockey puck or not... 2x2 seems to be the way to go unfortunately.

1 guide is enough, it just serves to line up the holes while you put in the lug bolts

Last edited by Tangsta; 08-16-2013 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #32
cadman50
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I think your right Tangsta although I've never seen a jack like the first one. Mine is like yours. I wonder if there is an insert that you can put into the cradle of yours (or mine) and make it like jack #1. I'll probably use some wood but I want to see how the puck will be. I'll get just one guide then. Thanks.
steve
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #33
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

Quote:
I called the dealer to see how they raise the cars and they jack up right on the plastic piece. No jack pad. it looks like the bottom surface of the Reverselogic pad is smooth steel and I might think that with the steel jack cradle could easily slide off the underside of the jack pad. What's been your experience with the jack pad? I also saw someone else posted about using a hockey puck which seems reasonable since it will have some friction on both sides.
Interesting....I wonder if there is a weight difference on the per jack point with all four raised at the same time vs. just one. Although I speak from experience...just look under my daughter's 325i

The Reverselogic pad fits within the jack cradle similar to the hockey puck picture above. The R. pad works ok, not exactly the "sliced bread" I thought it would be. In fact one of the rubber end spacer ripped off the first time I used it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 04:26 PM   #34
CanadianDriver
Captain
Rep

I have both of these. I agree, no puck necessary for the low profile jack (328).

For the regular jack (X3), I removed the pin on the saddle and the puck sits on top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangsta View Post
I think the jack pad is made to go with a jack that has a saddle like this one (wide, flat, rubber): no hockey pucks necessary

Unfortunately, my jack (like many others) is more like this:
which renders the jack pad absolutely useless, hockey puck or not... 2x2 seems to be the way to go unfortunately.

1 guide is enough, it just serves to line up the holes while you put in the lug bolts
Attached Images

Appreciate 0