BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-26-2010, 10:55 PM   #1
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

X3 tick, tick, tick sound upon cold start

I am experiencing a tick, tick, tick sound when my '07 X3 is idling after a cold start. The car sounds like a wind up car to me when it is making this noise and it is rather frustrating and embarrassing to me.

I inquired about this ticking sound in March of this year (bought vehicle in February '10 and didn't hear the sound at all while test driving) and dealer said that is typical of a BMW. Ok? Well it warmed up outside and I forgot about this issue. Now that it is cold again the irritating ticking sound came back so I decided to do some research myself and found a service bulletin (SIB 11 09 07) on this issue. When I took the SAV into the dealer, I told him about the bulletin I found and he said that BMW has now found the reason for the ticking sound and will replace the exhaust lifters since that is the cause of the noise. Great, as the car was still under original warranty.

Well, I started the X3 up the next day after work (cold start after sitting outside all day in 20 degree weather) and it still ticks! I haven't called the dealer yet as I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to remedy it. Since this "repair" last week, I am now under my CPO warranty as the original has now expired. Any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have driven quite a few lesser cars in my life and none of them have made such an irritating sound. Very confused-
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #2
TAYLORX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3

X3 Tapping

This forum is very helpful ! X3 2007 owner here with the Tapping noise also .
My X3 was in the shop for a week they replaced all the lifters . A day after getting the car back it is now tapping worse then before. Once again back to the shop . I mentioned SB I 11 09 07 and I am waiting to hear back from the shop . The worse part is I just brought the BMW this month .
I do not want to hear this is normal ! From what I have read and heard , it seems a modified engine head needs to be installed .
I will let you know what happens when my X3 gets out of the shop .

I want to thank all the forum members for all your info .
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
Bora20
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW X3 3.0si M-Sport

I have it too, I was going to call the dealer but I will email them with this info and see what they say.

It seems to go away once warmed up.

I have the same issue with a rattling muffler due until it warms up. Has to do with the movable baffle in the end.
      12-02-2010, 06:29 AM   #4
Wuzzdaddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2007

Ditto

I bought a 2007 X3 with about 17k on it last year. Within the past couple of months, I've noticed the same exact noise when the engine is cold. The noise dissipates once it warms up. These posts have been kind of reassuring and worrisome at the same time. I have about 1200 miles before the next routine service is due and I was going to address it with the dealership at that time. But I might email the service agent and ask what they are planning to do about this now. At least I know that I am not being paranoid. I'll post what I find out and check back the thread for updates. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2010, 06:34 AM   #5
Wuzzdaddy
Registered
Rep
Drives: X3 2007

Here is more

Check out the following link. There are many more owners with the same problem.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/arc.../t-246996.html
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2011, 11:42 PM   #6
dionng
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW x3

My 2008 x3 had the same problem, took it to the dealer they replaced 16 lifters, a week later, the tick tick noise came back again.
It's common problem in n52 engine if u do a search, I hate that noise too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralscent View Post
I am experiencing a tick, tick, tick sound when my '07 X3 is idling after a cold start. The car sounds like a wind up car to me when it is making this noise and it is rather frustrating and embarrassing to me.

I inquired about this ticking sound in March of this year (bought vehicle in February '10 and didn't hear the sound at all while test driving) and dealer said that is typical of a BMW. Ok? Well it warmed up outside and I forgot about this issue. Now that it is cold again the irritating ticking sound came back so I decided to do some research myself and found a service bulletin (SIB 11 09 07) on this issue. When I took the SAV into the dealer, I told him about the bulletin I found and he said that BMW has now found the reason for the ticking sound and will replace the exhaust lifters since that is the cause of the noise. Great, as the car was still under original warranty.

Well, I started the X3 up the next day after work (cold start after sitting outside all day in 20 degree weather) and it still ticks! I haven't called the dealer yet as I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and if so what did you do to remedy it. Since this "repair" last week, I am now under my CPO warranty as the original has now expired. Any suggestions and/or comments would be greatly appreciated.

I have driven quite a few lesser cars in my life and none of them have made such an irritating sound. Very confused-
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2011, 09:21 PM   #7
floralscent
Rep
Drives: silver x3

Thanks for your responses. It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not alone. Unfortunately I guess it takes time to get some things ironed out.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:51 AM   #8
Evlengr
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 MT X3 and 2010 MT MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by floralscent View Post
Thanks for your responses. It makes me feel a bit better that I'm not alone. Unfortunately I guess it takes time to get some things ironed out.

Have to replace the head. Popular enough problem where they are back ordered atm.
Appreciate 0