BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-14-2013, 12:04 AM   #1
doc.crawford
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 2.0D

Welding Problem

Hi Guys,

Well the dealer has just informed me that the 6 times I brought my 2012 X3 in for the sunroof issue and it was not corrected was because it is a weld problem in the car. He says they are bringing it to some repair shop to do spot welding on some spots that have come apart which is what is making the clicking/popping noise.

Has anyone else had this issue? This doesn't sound good if the welds on the car are not holding. Anybody have suggestions on how to approach this problem with the dealership? I am just a bit concerned with the safety of the vehicle if after only 5,000 kms it is starting to come apart.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 12:43 AM   #2
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
im not sure of the lemon laws in Aus, but in the US, it could qualify as a Lemon and get you a new car
      08-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #3
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
im not sure of the lemon laws in Aus, but in the US, it could qualify as a Lemon and get you a new car
Even in the U.S, doesn't the lemon law only apply in the first year of ownership?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Teemo Panda
*Bimmerpost Plasti Dip Guru*
United_States
Rep
Drives: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Garage List
2013 BMW X3  [5.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Even in the U.S, doesn't the lemon law only apply in the first year of ownership?
Nope, in my state. It covers up to 24k miles.
      08-14-2013, 04:01 PM   #5
Anfänger
perennial neophyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: SUV

In NY, the new car lemon law applies for 2 years or 18,000 miles (which ever comes first).
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 04:39 PM   #6
doc.crawford
Rep

Even if that were the case I have only owned the car for 9 months. It seems like it had been in the shop more than I have been able to drive it. Very disappointed with my first BMW.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 09:27 AM   #7
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

well I would push hard for some serious compensation - start with a replacement and see what they offer.....
BMW failed to fit RFT tyres at build and when had an issue and then found out. To compensate we received a free set of winter tyres (which we had already ordered but had not paid for!) - so has to be worth asking for as it is a build fault.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 11:49 PM   #8
doc.crawford
Rep

Update: Well I am getting a bit tired of this by now. I have tried getting an update all week from local BMW dealer and they don't return phone calls. Went to the body works place today to see the car. Top is all duck taped up with the sunroof missing. Inside is all torn apart besides the seats and they have told me they can't pinpoint the spot where the noise is coming from. Have to drive it around more to figure it out and find the spot(s) where the weld(s) has come loose. Just hoping the issue gets sorted as I am quite over this. I have mentioned replacement, compensation, etc. they keep coming back with "well we don't leave you hanging, we either drive you where you need to go or loan you a car" and "it will get fixed. Want to make sure it's right" this is the third week and pushing into month 2 they have had the car in my 9 month ownership and doesn't look like its gonna be fixed anytime very soon. Just a bit frustrated right now. Not sure what to say or where to go as I have called consumer affairs on the issue and they didn't have a good answer as they said unless it is a safety issue I would have to get a lawyer involved and take them to court over the problem. Sounds like quite a step to take. Just hoping it can get fixed I guess. Anyone else have any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 10:55 PM   #9
doc.crawford
Rep

Hi Guys, an update to the ongoign situation and wondering thoughts. Well, since my last post the car has been into the dealership 2 more times for 7 weeks and bringing the total to well over 3 months in the first year of ownership. I have gotten it back 3 weeks ago and just started making the same noise. I have called them today to inform them it is still not fixed and it will not be acceptable to bring it back in for them to try and remedy the situation again. I said that I want a permanant resolve to the situation and that will not be "fixing these spot welds again" as if I lived in another country I would have a new car 3 times over for this issue. The manager of the department said he would contact BMW Australia to see what they now had to say about the situation as it seems I have a "lemon"

I would appreciate any input on the situation of thoughts/ideas to say to them when I hear back and if anyone else has had a problem like this and what they have done to remedy the situation. Not a very happy first ownership to a car of this stature.

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0