BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-07-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i

Connecting Media/Communication Devices

While it was mainly raining here in Montreal these day, I took this time to set up the things inside of my new i35.

I'm at the point where I got my iPhone 4 Media Snap-in Adapter and synced my BMW Connected App. It did not happen right away, the sync was failing and I was not so sure if my ZOX was added properly, if I did not get the right adapter or adapter did not snap into armrest properly… but than it just suddenly everything showed in ConnectDrive menu. So, that is all working now: Web Radio, iTunes music interface, video/movies playback...

Questions:
- Does anyone know if the "video is not allowed to play while the car is in motion" setting can be reversed to allow this?
(To play DVD or video from iPhone 4 via adapter it's possible only when the car is parked, but what if the passenger wants to watch a movie on a long trip?)

- Does anyone know if the music or video can be uploaded and stored directly in the car's hard drive?

- What data transfer is possible?

- Did anyone managed to find USB interface in the glove compartment useful?

- I have also downloaded My BMW Remote app but cannot log into it from Canada. Did anyone managed this?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 09:54 AM   #2
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

nice to see another mtl x35 owner. I want to test the usb just to play mp3 music, I didn't get the apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 10:04 AM   #3
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlbrad View Post
nice to see another mtl x35 owner. I want to test the usb just to play mp3 music, I didn't get the apps.
any feeback on USB mp3 playback?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #4
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamik75 View Post
any feeback on USB mp3 playback?
Works ok, you plug it in, and control it via the knob near the gear shift. It picks up directories too and you can go into them. I'm satisfied with it, definitely going to put a bunch of songs on a 1gb stick and leave it in the car, since the radio stations suck here.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
While it was mainly raining here in Montreal these day, I took this time to set up the things inside of my new i35.

I'm at the point where I got my iPhone 4 Media Snap-in Adapter and synced my BMW Connected App. It did not happen right away, the sync was failing and I was not so sure if my ZOX was added properly, if I did not get the right adapter or adapter did not snap into armrest properly… but than it just suddenly everything showed in ConnectDrive menu. So, that is all working now: Web Radio, iTunes music interface, video/movies playback...

Questions:
- Does anyone know if the "video is not allowed to play while the car is in motion" setting can be reversed to allow this?
(To play DVD or video from iPhone 4 via adapter it's possible only when the car is parked, but what if the passenger wants to watch a movie on a long trip?)

- Does anyone know if the music or video can be uploaded and stored directly in the car's hard drive?

- What data transfer is possible?

- Did anyone managed to find USB interface in the glove compartment useful?

- I have also downloaded My BMW Remote app but cannot log into it from Canada. Did anyone managed this?
Not sure for Canada but in the UK you need an active BMW Assist / Connected Drive subscription. You then use these login details to activate the app and select a PIN

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 02:15 PM   #6
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Thanks sfax.
I hope that there is some work around this. Just like for Pandora Radio in Canada...

@mtlbrad
Where did you plug your flash drive? Glove compartment or armrest? I used my 8 GB flash drive full of mp3 music and it plays only 3 songs from usb in glove compartment.

@all
Any info on my other questions?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 04:00 PM   #7
mtlcruisin
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iFroze View Post
Thanks sfax.
I hope that there is some work around this. Just like for Pandora Radio in Canada...

@mtlbrad
Where did you plug your flash drive? Glove compartment or armrest? I used my 8 GB flash drive full of mp3 music and it plays only 3 songs from usb in glove compartment.

@all
Any info on my other questions?
I don't think I have one in the glove compartment, I think that comes with a option/pack I didn't get. My armrest one though, plays more than 3 songs? Not sure what you mean only 3. I had like a bunch and it would just keep going onto the next during my drive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2011, 08:39 PM   #8
iFroze
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I don't think I have one in the glove compartment, I think that comes with a option/pack I didn't get. My armrest one though, plays more than 3 songs? Not sure what you mean only 3. I had like a bunch and it would just keep going onto the next during my drive.
I had 8 gigs of music on my flash drive and the system listed only 3 songs while ignoring all these millions of other songs.

The interisting thing is that it appeared to me that the sound quality coming from satelite radio, cd's, and iPhone connected with y aux/usb cable was lower then playing the same music from iPhone through media adapter. Im not any expert on sound but I thought that there is a differance.???
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #9
Bimar
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Bmw X

Quote:
Works ok, you plug it in, and control it via the knob near the gear shift. It picks up directories too and you can go into them. I'm satisfied with it, definitely going to put a bunch of songs on a 1gb stick and leave it in the car, since the radio stations suck here.
Does any of the album artwork also transfer to the i-drive from usb flash drive?
Appreciate 0