BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

03-21-2024, 03:36 AM   #1
drukpa
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Key Fob Issue and Diversity Antenna

I have an issue with the key fob not being recognized when the car is near a cell tower. The key fob on my car is the 868Mhz one, and I believe 3G signal on the cell tower is 850Mhz.

When near a cell tower, I have to place the key near the rear spoiler to lock/unlock the car. Also have to the place the key on the steering column to start the car.

Don't have any issues with FM radio reception near or far away from cell towers.

When away from cell towers, the key fob and comfort access works properly from about 20 meters away.

Car has no tints (some have reported issues with tints).

Bought the car used, so don't know if it was like this from the factory.

Is it a problem with the diversity antenna? I opened it up, there are is no corrosion or broken wires. Am thinking the signal from the antenna has gotten weak with age.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 04:48 PM   #2
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by drukpa View Post
I have an issue with the key fob not being recognized when the car is near a cell tower.
  • When near a cell tower, I have to place the key near the rear spoiler to lock/unlock the car. Also have to the place the key on the steering column to start the car.
  • When away from cell towers, the key fob and comfort access works properly from about 20 meters away.
Sounds like you've identified the problem...the RF signal from the cell tower affects the signal from your remote fob and its various antennas.
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 03-21-2024 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 05:21 PM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

BTW, the remote fob/ID transmitter aerials for comfort access are not in the Diversity antenna. The CA (comfort access) antennas are located all around the car. (interior & exterior locations)..so if the RF (radio frequency) signals from a cell tower is near your car...it could definitely affect the remote's function:

E84 - interior aerial center console front:

E22 - interior aerial center console rear:

B207 - steering column Ring Aerial:

E28 & E36 - luggage compartment area aerials

E23 - exterior aerial left side:

E83 - exterior aerial right side:

E87 - exterior bumper aerial:
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0