BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Sunroof won't fully close - any quick fixes?

This has happened twice to me since it is finally warming up in Chicago and I'm using the sunroof again. When closing the roof (from fully open position, not from tilt), the slide closes to the closed position, and then immediately retracts to a stop about 4 inches from closed. It's behaving as though it hit something, but I have checked the slides and compartment and I can see no stall points. I have even tried to "help" the top close to eliminate any issues with possible resistance and that doesn't help either.

The only way I have been able to get it to close is to stop the car, turn off the engine, and close the roof using the comfort access feature of touching the door handle. This works about 25% of the time. It popped back open the first few times I did it, then if I pushed the door handle until the slide nearly closed, stop, then hit it again it seemed to work then.

I hate to open it again and risk getting stuck somewhere in the rain and not be able to close it.

Anyone experience anything similar? Yes, I did do a search on this and didn't find anything quickly.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 01:32 PM   #2
scottjays
Starfleet Command
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M50i

this might help

or
http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...hlight=sunroof
      05-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #3
Radioactive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 X3 28i '10 535i '04 325i

I had something similar the summer I got the car. When parked with the tilt open in temps over 95 F the roof would close and open when trying to close it. Couldn't duplicate at dealer because the conditions never right. After driving awhile the roof would finally close. My guess is that the heat caused the expansion of the plastics causing the safety sensors to trip. Could it be that it only happens on Space Gray X3's? :-]
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
lateshow
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 35i Space Gray

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
I already tried that one. The initialization won't work because the roof won't close fully as the process starts.
Appreciate 0