BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-13-2022, 08:58 PM   #1
pmflint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3

Garage List
2008 x3  [0.00]
Advice needed

I recently purchased a 2008 x3 for my daughter who will be getting her learners permit in a few months. The vehicle is in excellent shape with 134,000 miles but I knew there were a few problems with it when I purchased it. The first problem is it will randomly cut off. It has happened twice; once while accelerating onto the interstate and once while slowing down to make a turn. After research, I saw where it could be the vanos solenoids or camshaft position sensor which seem like common problems. I have ordered a new set of solenoids to try first but haven't received them yet. If that doesn't fix it, then I will try the camshaft sensor.
The other issue I am having is when pulling off from a stoplight or stop sign, I have a loss of power and the vehicle begins jerking and the 4x4 light will come on. After a brief moment, it will clear up and run fine. Could this be the transfer case actuator? I see that is another common problem. I did move it in the driveway the other day and the brake, abs, and 4x4 lights were on. Next time I started it, they were all gone.
This is our first BMW and I couldn't pass up the deal even if I have to put a little money into it. I just want the vehicle to run properly for a soon to be brand new driver. My budget isn't unlimited and I'm trying to not have the pay the huge BMW dealership costs.
I'm no professional mechanic but am pretty handy with simple fixes. Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #2
Burr001
Lieutenant Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW x3 m40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflint View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 x3 for my daughter who will be getting her learners permit in a few months. The vehicle is in excellent shape
Not so excellent, but what were the codes that were stored?
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #3
richardodn
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 X3 35iX/'20 440ix cabrio

For starters, it's highly recommended to borrow or buy a BMW specific code reader. The one I bought is the Foxwell NT530. Price is < $200 with the BMW software. You can buy additional software to support other makes. I think it's a max of 4 on the device. Updates are free and it's not locked to a specific VIN. It will do most of what a DIY'r needs it for.

Once you have a reader, read all the trouble codes, make note of them, and then clear them all. Then see which ones come back. Start researching the codes you're seeing and that should start you on the trail of what needs to be fixed.
2020 Estoril Blue 440i xDrive cabrio w/MPPSK - This car is a blast to drive.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2022, 07:15 PM   #4
pmflint
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X3

Garage List
2008 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burr001 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmflint View Post
I recently purchased a 2008 x3 for my daughter who will be getting her learners permit in a few months. The vehicle is in excellent shape
Not so excellent, but what were the codes that were stored?
P1553 on a generic reader
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #5
Conv_George
Registered
Rep
Drives: 01 330Ci Vert, 05 X3 3.0

I would throw in to closely inspect the air intake boot between the MAF and the throttle body. Turning and accelerating can cause the engine to shift and open and close cracks which cause running difficulties.
Appreciate 0