BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

11-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #23
Naambezet
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturnZero View Post
Ah, the issue of Road & Track I read a while back said it was a combination of the 1 and 3, basically a long wheelbase version of the 1er. Reminded me of the Z3 or the 318ti which was half E30 half E36.
Still, is incorrect, I drove both generations einzers and both were very different. It's the dreier touring platform that is used for the X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2012, 10:56 PM   #24
Griffin32
Abiding Dude
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

We compared the e91 to the X1 and X3 back to back to back. The X1 is truly a tall e91. We tested the passenger compartments with a large baby seat and a big stroller (as my life is about to change drastically with the addition of a little girl to our family), and the X3 is much larger than the other two. The e91 is a known quantity among the enthusiasts on this website. (I should know...I joined this forum years ago when I bought my e90, which I still own and love.) The X1 has a similar space in the rear, but the extra height is noticeable. The adjustable inclination of the X1 rear seat helps, but not much. Coming from the e9x series, the extra body roll in both sav is significant, but regardless of how it is suspended and damped, the extra metal in a higher place will do that. Any of these vehicles are zippy at US speeds, so that didn't weigh into our decision. The X3 is just a significantly larger vehicle for only a slight premium after options and packages are added. I could see the X1 as an eventual replacement for my e90 in the future, after we are past the stroller/car seat stage. Then again, the new 3 touring will be all sorted out by then...and then there would be no question...3 touring over the X1.
      08-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #25
bluejay_el
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW X1 xDrive 28i

Need help whether to get X1 or X3

New member here. Im still undecided on whether to get an X1 or X3. Hoping to get a lot of feedback before I place my order.

Planned spec:

X1
xDrive28i, M Sport, Le Mans Blue Metallic, Beige Leatherette, Light Fineline Wood Trim, Driver Assistance Package, Technology Package, Lighting Package, Heated Front, Seats Panoramic moon roof. MSRP $42,825

vs.

X3
xDrive28i, Deep Sea Blue Metallic, Beige Leatherette, Fineline Wave Wood Trim, Driver Assistance Package, Lighting Package, Technology Package, Heated Front Seats, Panoramic moon roof, x-line exterior trim package. MSRP $49,025

Things that I like (which are also the things that I don't like on the other brand):

X1
- Price - 6,200 difference the spec that I want between the two
- It comes with Le Mans Blue (have to get M Sport just to get the color)
- MPG

X3
- HUD!
- Stance of an SUV (specially ground clearance and height)
- Power Liftgate
- Stirring

Stuff about myself and my needs:
- Replacing my 2008 Honda Accord Coupe
- First luxury car purchase
- Single guy
- Dog (husky) Owner (he'll take the rear seat or the cargo area)
- Need space for the fold-able dog crate (if i bring him with me on a vacation)
- Need compartment for snowboard
- Need compartment for bulk purchases/items (furniture, yard and garage stuff)
- Uses local road to work (8 miles each way)
- Travels out of town/state few times a year
- Need to deal with MI road condition
- Need something that drives good on snowy condition

Appreciate all the feedback!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 05:22 AM   #26
ponti33609
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 x3 35i

Garage List
2014 BMW/X3 35i  [0.00]
We just went thru this. My wife tried all 3 out. The x1 felt like a car/wagon to her and small even though it is just the 2 of us. She liked the handling and style if the. 3 better than the 5 and why she decided on it. She said the 3 and 5 were much closer in size than the 1 and 3 in her opinion.
      08-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #27
NordicBMW
Private
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 / 2013 X1

After buying my X3 last year I for various reasons (company car) ended up with an X1 as the family's second car/commuter car this year.

So for space and a more luxury feel, go for the X3. For agility and more connected feel when driving (the X3 isn't bad at all here) the X1 is better. But in fact I have found that space in the X1 is actually enough in most circumstances depending on your cargo.

Space in the backseat is obviously much better in the X3 but in my experience a couple of adults are just fine in the back of the X1 and the kids are indifferent.

Another aspect I would consider is the fact that the X3 is built on newer technology and you can clearly see that when you compare eg the instrument clusters of the two.

Anyway, it boils down to budget and preferences. Both cars drive much better than most comparable cars out there and surprisingly enough I have found space in the X1 to be enough at several occasions when I thought I needed the X3 to move stuff.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:53 AM   #28
Jay Ell
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F40 M135i

Garage List
we owned the X1 prior to our X3 for around 3 years. We have 2 kids, and to be honest it was just enough in terms of space. That is, until the eldest hit 12 years and suddenly she needed her own luggage.

We'd had 2 E60 5's prior to the X1 .. That was due to needing the pram space really. Once that had passed, we then wanted a smaller car, but also wanted 4WD. In the UK, that meant the only choice from BMW was the X1. It was a very capable car, and did everything we wanted (although, coming from a V10 5 series to a 2.0 D wasn't what I wanted, but I couldn't think of a replacement for it).

Having now taken delivery of the X3, I must say it's quite a cut above the X1 in terms of quality and space.

All-in-all, I don't have a bad word about either of them. And specc'd correctly, the X1 I found to be a good looker.
[Current] F40 M135i ('23) / [Gone] F80 M3 CP ('18), F36 435i ('15), F25 X3 30d ('13), E84 X1 23d ('09), R56 Mini Cooper S ('07), E60 M5 ('07), R53 Mini Cooper ('02), E60 545i ('03), E36 328iS ('98), E36 320i ('93)
Appreciate 0