BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #1
interlock
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F25 M35d

Joining the X3 Club

Moving forums from 2 Series to X3. Awaiting delivery after M235 was written off in the recent UK floods in North of Scotland. Roads round us have now flodded the last 3 years. Anyway awaiting a build date on X3 M35d Alpine on 20inch rims. Pics to follow in a few weeks. Question is the Active suspension worth the money?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 01:06 AM   #2
Tjalle
Major
Rep
Drives: X4 35i

I take it you are referring to adjustable/active dampers - yes. Going to Sport/Sport+, you get a different animal with throttle, steering, dampers and gearshifting in "active" mode for joy of driving - not only transportation.

Some of us also include being able to go up to 7000 rpm is part of the fun together with exciting engine and exhaust sound - others find it OK with beastly torque at moderate rpm:s

H&R, M Performance Klappenshalldämpfer.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 04:49 AM   #3
ianfp
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40D M Sport

Sorry to hear about your M235 and all the flooding problems!

The X3 you have ordered sounds like it will be a fantastic car and more fantastic with the addition of active suspension.

Having had my M sport for 2.5 years, the only thing I would have added in hindsight is active suspension (VDC).

On smooth roads I think the standard suspension on 19" wheels and non-run flat tyres is just about perfect for the car.

I can just about tolerate the stiff suspension with non-run flats on bumpy roads, but I think VDC would be essential on 20" with run flats.

I have to add that I have not driven the LCI, so it may be more forgiving.

Last edited by ianfp; 01-30-2016 at 04:50 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
Pinewood
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 30d M sport LCI

I have driven a few pre lci M Sport X3's before buying this lci version. No change in the suspension setup. The run flats will be gone once they wear down (i don't want to invalidate my warranty).
A spare winter set are on the way so in the summer one wheel will get a summer tyre mounted
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2016, 12:54 AM   #5
Nham68
Private
England
Rep
Drives: M340i touring

I recently moved to LCI 16 plate F25 3.0d Msport on 20" with sports suspension and no VDC and run flats. Everyone will tell you VDC is essential and swap your RFT tyres - I disagree.
I had active suspension on my f31 3.0d xdrive . I don't miss it : whilst the ride is firm, f25is a different car and you'll drive differently vs your m235. It's very agile for its size, and is well planted on the road. After bedding down, it's just a tiny bit "jiggly" on some surfaces, but in the main , is great. Ride quality is anyhow much more dampened vs f31 msport so I suspect that will again be the case vs m235. It's also a hell of a lot quieter. It's in the end probably about being relative to what you came from. Potholes are bad whatever you have , VDC won't help you there as it cannot react quick enough in suspect..
If you are thinking about reselling, and money no issue, then why not, can only help.
Note that vdc only changes dampers, not throttle response : you get sport+ without VDC which rempas the throttle response.
Appreciate 0