BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-24-2016, 04:08 PM   #23
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

I am not really a gambling man so I think I am going to have to look at BMW approved Run Flats.. thanks for all the input from everyone...
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #24
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Just make sure you get 4 the same, so just order two more of what you have on the front is easiest surely?

These are BMW approved...

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s5058..._Noise%3A_71dB

And a great price for all 4.
Sell your fronts on eBay for £100 and you have a set for £300.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 01:32 AM   #25
Paulmarsden79
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X3 SE

I wanted to change my tyres for an all season or m+s tyre so emailed my BMW dealer and also BMW uk to ask if I could put none star marked tyres on.

There response was yes as long as you change all 4 tyres for the same brand type and size. I also checked that this would not good any warranty and they said it would not but of course they wouldn't deal with any warranty issues with the tyres if they developed any faults and these would have to be dealt with by they tyre manufacturer.

I am now running continental LX sport m+s tyres
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 03:33 AM   #26
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 20d Xline Melbourne Red

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I've got the Pirelli p7 OEM tyres on mine

I took them off for the winter set in November after about 11k

I've just been out to the garage and checked their tread depth and all four are on about 6mm

I can't see them wearing down to the tread markings, and losing 4mm in the next 3k miles

It seems a massive difference between two OEM tyre brands

I can't see my car being driven massively different to yours so you like to think the wear levels would be similar

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Current: E85 Z4 3.0si roadster titanium/Syrah individual

Current: F31 320d touring black/black work hack
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 03:37 AM   #27
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
I ran Goodyear efficient grips on my X1

Thought they were very good .. And cheaper than the Pirelli

Bought them through my Bmw dealer who will price match .. But you have to be prepared to haggle !

Gone :X1 23d Msport manual, Space/Beige Pro Nav, Adaptive zenons, privacy glass, 18's, ext storage,

Current: X3 20d Xline auto, Melbourne/Beige, Sport seats, Viz pack, heated steering wheel, Folding mirrors, privacy glass, luggage net, pro nav

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:50 AM   #28
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Just a little update on this and don't I feel a plum!

I had a service at BMW first proper service - just over 16,000miles. Assumed tyres would need doing badly as hadnt had done since last update...

They just rang with update and health check all fine.. askes specifically about tyres and they said 3 on 3mm and one on 4mm.. so no need to do yet... !!

So perhaps I am not as bad a driver as I was thinking!

Thanks all for the information though as it was a big help and made me not waste my money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy View Post
Hi All,

Well I have hit 14,000 miles and all 4 tyres are almost down to wear indicator (seems earlyish I know and I really don't drive like an idiot... Rears are on wear indicator so changing those first this weekend to split cost a little then do fronts next mth i think.. BMW X3 2.0D Manual

I have chosen these tyres.. through BlackCircle based on there score rating and quietness and also Whatcar review.. and at 167/tyre not bad price..

2 x Goodyear EfficientGrip (Mercedes MO Extended) 245/50 R18 W (100), Run Flat, Asymmetrical

However Blackcircle have just warned me that these tyres may not be good for the car. Full quote below.. I think they are just being courteous rather than trying to upsell me - but could anyone let me know if it is actually true what they are saying and I should change my order or is it them just covering their backs.. I don't want to invalidate my warranty or have a poor performing car of course!..

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Rob
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 01:31 PM   #29
poiuytre111
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 sdrive 1.8 & E81 120D

I recall reading that the star was primarily about confirming that the circumference of the tyres would be the same where the front and back were "staggered" i.e. different width and aspect ratio.

When you have a 4wd vehicle you need the rolling circumference to be the same at all wheels or else the transmission ends up fighting itself as one tyre tries to turn faster than another. To avoid this you need to make sure - either - that you use the same aspect ratio etc. front and back - or - you buy tyres of different aspect ratio (staggered) that have been specifically designed to give equivalent circumference. BMW do this for you and mark such tyres with a star. May also be the case that the E83 transmission was less able to cope with this sort of issue than others e.g. audi - I don't know.

Also important that the remaining tread is roughly equivalent front to back or you could also get problems for the same reason.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #30
mge92
SPEED RACER
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50d BMW M2 CS

It shouldn't just as long as you have the same specs as the oem tires. I would recommend continental dw for summers and even though it's not run flat bmw dealership have not given me any trouble. They perform much better than the oem Goodyear eagle tires. If you want all seasons go for continental dws 06 which are supposedly amazing according to my friend who had a x3 and just traded the car in for x4 m40i. Non runflats make a difference to the ride and handling if you don't mind giving up the run flat advantage when you get a flat. Just carry a plug kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #31
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Just to update over 20,000 miles now and still not ready for replacing - getting close..

Actually they have outlived rear brake pads which are showing up as need replacing in 260 miles.. !!
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2016, 03:54 PM   #32
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I did my rear brakes and rotors the other day.

BMW wanted £440!

ECP for £110 and 2 hours to change them on the drive.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 10:30 AM   #33
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy
Just to update over 20,000 miles now and still not ready for replacing - getting close..

Actually they have outlived rear brake pads which are showing up as need replacing in 260 miles.. !!
I'm on 21k miles now

Front brakes are showing due in 26k miles

Rear brakes in 18k miles

Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #34
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
I'm on 21k miles now

Rear brakes in 18k miles
Oh - I have done something bad in a past life.. perhaps it is my rubbish non standard wheels..

(assume not done already!??!>
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2016, 02:56 AM   #35
Andy_o
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_o View Post
I'm on 21k miles now

Rear brakes in 18k miles
Oh - I have done something bad in a past life.. perhaps it is my rubbish non standard wheels..

(assume not done already!??!>

My brakes are still the originals I know your car is only a couple of months older than mine and endre did accuse me of driving like a pussy !

In all fairness mine does do a lot of longer journeys and living in the grim north we don't have any of those fancy southern things like roundabouts or traffic lights, just have to be mindful of sheep

Appreciate 0