BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-21-2016, 04:12 AM   #1
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 LCI 2.0d X-Line

Goodyear EfficentGrip Help - Will it void my warranty?

Hi All,

Well I have hit 14,000 miles and all 4 tyres are almost down to wear indicator (seems earlyish I know and I really don't drive like an idiot... Rears are on wear indicator so changing those first this weekend to split cost a little then do fronts next mth i think.. BMW X3 2.0D Manual

I have chosen these tyres.. through BlackCircle based on there score rating and quietness and also Whatcar review.. and at 167/tyre not bad price..

2 x Goodyear EfficientGrip (Mercedes MO Extended) 245/50 R18 W (100), Run Flat, Asymmetrical

However Blackcircle have just warned me that these tyres may not be good for the car. Full quote below.. I think they are just being courteous rather than trying to upsell me - but could anyone let me know if it is actually true what they are saying and I should change my order or is it them just covering their backs.. I don't want to invalidate my warranty or have a poor performing car of course!..

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Rob

Quote:
Thank you for your order. Could you please contact me regarding your tyre order.

The tyres you have selected may not be suitable for your car as these are not BMW * approved units. All BMW approved tyres are designated by an '*' marking. This denotes that BMW has approved the tyres for use on their vehicles and these tyres are constructed specifically to suit the power, suspension, handling characteristics and to reduce uneven wear across the axle.

We have come across instances where BMW may not honour the warranty on vehicles fitted with non-approved tyres and as such we always recommend the use of the specific fitment. We have also had instances where customers have identified poorer performance as the results of switching away from “*” rated tyres.

At Blackcircles.com we strive to help our customers make an informed decision on the tyres that they purchase. At this stage we are contacting you as a courtesy to make you aware of the potential impact of not choosing “*” rated tyres, could I ask you to contact me to let me know whether you are either happy to proceed with your current order or would like to discuss further options.

Last edited by bounderboy; 01-21-2016 at 04:32 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
plymjack
Nuclear Chief of the Watch
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X3 (F25) 2.0D, i3 BEV

Well your mileage seems low - we are at 33k miles and are still on originals (yes we use winter tyres as well but both sets are still at 6-7 mm.)

Providing the tyres are the correct size and speed rating I dont see how or why BMW could not honour a warranty claim - but if your are saying performance has changed as a result of new tyres then I can see they would say it is the tyres.

Our BMW dealer operates a price match on new tyres so have used them anyhow.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Well your mileage seems low - we are at 33k miles and are still on originals (yes we use winter tyres as well but both sets are still at 6-7 mm.)

Providing the tyres are the correct size and speed rating I dont see how or why BMW could not honour a warranty claim - but if your are saying performance has changed as a result of new tyres then I can see they would say it is the tyres.

Our BMW dealer operates a price match on new tyres so have used them anyhow.
I haven't changed the tyres yet so don't have any problems - was just checking to see if anyone had any other experience.

I have no idea what I am doing wrong to need tyres so quickly..!!

Cheers

Rob
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:04 AM   #4
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Phoned BMW and they were as non-committal as you would expect..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:44 AM   #5
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

Well if its even wear as you suggest I would check the tyres - what are presently fitted?
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:50 AM   #6
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plymjack View Post
Well if its even wear as you suggest I would check the tyres - what are presently fitted?
Sorry how do you mean? The current ones are Dunlop Sport Maxx GT..

Last edited by bounderboy; 01-21-2016 at 07:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:07 AM   #7
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy View Post
I have chosen these tyres..based on there score rating and quietness

2 x Goodyear EfficientGrip (Mercedes MO Extended) 245/50 R18 W (100), Run Flat, Asymmetrical
I am a huge fan of the EfficientGrip tyres, however, comfort and quiet does not go with run flat.

Seriously mate, do yourself a favour and get proper tyres.

The X3 quite frankly is ruined on runflats, get it off it transforms the car.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #8
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gIzzE View Post
I am a huge fan of the EfficientGrip tyres, however, comfort and quiet does not go with run flat.

Seriously mate, do yourself a favour and get proper tyres.

The X3 quite frankly is ruined on runflats, get it off it transforms the car.
Lol - but what if I get a flat? - i have had three punctures (funnily enough in the same left rear tyre).. they were central enough to get repaired (I know it isn't recommended)

Are the Efficent grip ok to run on a BMW if I decide I still want to run runflats.. ?

They just had much higher rating for Efficiency and were quieter..

The approved BMW option is Pirelli P7's which I could choose..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:20 AM   #9
plymjack
United Kingdom
Rep

mmm.. some users do complain about high tyre wear but some dont so not much help.

The EGrips do look a good bet to replace your others - so let us know what you do.
Sony QX10 & GoPro Hero 3
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:08 AM   #10
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounderboy View Post
Lol - but what if I get a flat? - i have had three punctures (funnily enough in the same left rear tyre).. they were central enough to get repaired (I know it isn't recommended)

Are the Efficent grip ok to run on a BMW if I decide I still want to run runflats.. ?

They just had much higher rating for Efficiency and were quieter..

The approved BMW option is Pirelli P7's which I could choose..
Personally I wouldn't put a Mercedes Approved (MO) tyre on it.

Just buy a kit and put proper tyres on it anyway, runflats are shite!!

Was the review for the runflat version?

I always swap the run flats within weeks of getting the car, have been for the last 12 years, my E61 was the first car with them.

I do around 25-40k miles a year, and in that time, let's say 300,000 miles of travel, I have done no more than 20k miles on run flats, probably more like 5000 but I am being generous.
I have had 3 flat tyres during the time with run flats and only one on a normal tyre.

They just don't soak up potholes or nails like softer regular rubber does, without the flex in them they seem to get flats so much easier.

The one flat on normal tyres was with my Merc the other week, hit a pothole and got a blow out, I was doing 80mph and it felt a bit squishy, no crossing lanes, or car rolling uncontrollably into a fireball, just the steering feel squidgy and so I pulled over at the next exit. The tyre had a hole in the sidewall and no pressure.
I had a spare wheel, but also had a compressor and gunk, as I knew it couldn't be repaired I used the gunk.
Filled it up and went on my way, used the car the next day (short local journeys) and it was fine.

Also, my old man wouldn't swap off run flats, he had to throw two rear sets of tyres on his 5GT because the wore through on the inside edge with some 6mm remaining across the rest. 6k miles and 8k miles again.
He swapped to proper tyres and after 18k miles they were wearing perfectly and still had nearly 5mm across them when he sold it.

I would look at something like this...

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b0s1668..._Noise%3A_70dB

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...n&typ=R-187031

or this....

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...n&typ=R-239376

or one of my faves...

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...ern&typ=D40184

I am running the all season version of this, but these are a great price for such a tyre...

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rsh...rn&typ=1333400
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:42 AM   #11
tiggerii
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M Sport 30e

Garage List
My X3 3.0D M Sport has done 16k miles and my Pirelli runflat tyres still have 4mm of tread left. I do get my wheel alignment checked every six months and I run nitrogen in the tyres to maintain stables pressures both of which have always served me well extending the life of my runflat tyres, I'm on my third BMW now.

Had a puncture this week in my right rear tyre so was glad of the runflat to save a call-out.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggerii View Post

Had a puncture this week in my right rear tyre so was glad of the runflat to save a call-out.
I rest my case!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:37 PM   #13
bounderboy
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Personally I wouldn't put a Mercedes Approved (MO) tyre on it.
Thanks for the links but not sure I am ready to ditch run flats - do you have any reasons for not personally fitting MO tyres?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #14
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Merc tend to put a harder compound on their tyres for better wear, I had Dunlop Winter Sports on my C320 and they were great, I now have Dunlop Winter Sport (MO) stamped ones on there and there are no where near as good, they are noisier, definitely firmer and in the really cold runs up the M11 when it drops below 3ºc they simply don't feel anywhere near as planted, so much so I am even considering putting the summers back on.

I had this on my E350 as well, went from regular Michelins to MO stamped ones and it felt crap in comparison, not what you expect swapping old tyres to new.

Also, where is this review of the Effcientgrip tyres on What Car? I can't find it.
I can't believe they gave a good review to a run flat tyre, the proper one yeah, but everything that makes the Effcientgrip feel so nice just doesn't make sense in a run flat.

Also, just reread you initial post, if you are not changing your tyres on the front at the same time just buy more of the same, you really don't want to be mixing tyres front and rear on an X3, you might seriously damage the transfer case, let alone cause some serious handling issues.

The X3 can cause serious problems with different tread patterns front and rear, let alone having tyres with more than 2-3mm difference between tread depth.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

Just seen this on Pistonheads....

Quote:
Originally Posted by v6pusfit
BMW X3 - incredibly tyre sensitive. Had a puncture last week ago so replaced the rears with a different make to the fronts and it nearly destroyed the transfer box - and I mean DESTROYED. Just had the rears changed to match the fronts - no difference! - still knocking and clanking and the sounds of the apocalypse. So tried changing the fronts to new - bingo all Ok and unbelievably no permanent damage to the t/box.

So, bought 6 tyres for one puncture. Great.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=1565720&i=160

Be very careful messing around mixing tyres on these cars.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #16
brissim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3 30d (2011 F25) - now sold

Quote:
Just seen this on Pistonheads....

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/t...=1565720&i=160

Be very careful messing around mixing tyres on these cars.
Tried to gleam it from the link, but I'd be interested in knowing what generation X3 this was. The transfer case in the 1st generation E83 X3 was notorious for not tolerating variances in tyres. I had always understood with the changes to the F25 the transfer case was much more robust.

This is my story with non-approved tyres on our F25 X3 30d. 4.5 years ago when we picked up our X3 drove straight to a tyre retailer and swapped out the OEM Goodyear Excellence runflats for Pirelli conventional tyres. At the time I used Scorpion Zero Asimmetrics, now running Scorpion Verde All Seasons (still non-runflats). No problems in 4.5 years and 90,000km. Because at the time there was a limited range of tyres available, ended up actually using slightly over-sized tyres. OEM tyre size was 245/55-17 for 701.3mm OD ; actual size used was 235/60-17 for 713.8mm OD. Still legal under Australian law and for insurance purposes.

However. About 12-18 months ago on two successive services, the transfer case was flushed due to some low speed jerking in the transmission. Both flushes done under warranty with no questions asked. After the second time, I quietly asked the Service Adviser whether my unapproved and slightly oversized tyres may have contributed to the transfer case needing flushing. Was told, that yes they had noted the tyres, but that as long as all 4 tyres were the same brand, model and size, this would not cause problems with the transfer case. Apparently flushing the transfer case has become quite common on the F25 X3.

So the message I would take from this - regardless of runflats vs non-runflats - keep all 4 tyres on your X3 the same. And that means the same brand and same tyre model.

Tony
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 06:14 PM   #17
Flipflop99
Private
Rep
Drives: X3 LCI 2.0d SE Auto

bounderboy - Goodyear EG will be a great tyre. I work for a uk police force and once the OEM tyres are worn on our response cars, they generally all get fitted with Goodyear EG. Except our BMW's as they get a BMW approved runflat to ensure warranty compliance.

I strayed away from runflats recently on both our cars as I had real issues with the ride and handling on my E92 coupe and the Goodyear Eagle F1's I fitted solved the problem. However, I had much better wear from my runflat bridgestones that lasted nearly 20k miles. A friend has recently bought a 65 plate 330d Msport with the extra pack that includes the 19 inch wheels and runflats and I have to say, the handling and ride seems exemplary to me so I think there has been some big improvements of late in runflat tyres.

I would say go for what you are most comfortable with and if that's runflats then so be it. It's swings and roundabouts whichever you go for so go for whatever gives you piece of mind. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 04:35 AM   #18
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I picked my car up, which is an SE and had 17s at the time, and knew they had put run flats on it straight away, I had to turn round and go back and explain that the car came from the factory on proper tyres, they realised they had made a mistake and swapped over to proper tyres, the difference was not subtle.

I am on 19" with Pirelli P Zero All Seasons, and my loan car was on 17s with run flats the other day and that was horrid compared to mine.

They are better than the E60/E90 days, but still ruin the car imho.

But, if you are happy with them stick with them, just make sure you have 4 matching tyres on, that is far more important.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:07 AM   #19
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50d

I have only had my X3 30xdrive for 10 days but I have just bought 4 x Goodyear Excellence 19" run flats to replace the OEM Michelin primacy which were well down but just enough tread on them for the BMW dealer not to change them !

My tyre dealer steered me away from "efficient grip " as being not man enough for a car of this weight and speed potential ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2t...ew?usp=sharing

Link is picture of before and after !
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #20
Peter_R
Air Vice Marshall
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 LCI xDrive 2.0i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by red30xdrive View Post
I have only had my X3 30xdrive for 10 days but I have just bought 4 x Goodyear Excellence 19" run flats to replace the OEM Michelin primacy which were well down but just enough tread on them for the BMW dealer not to change them !

My tyre dealer steered me away from "efficient grip " as being not man enough for a car of this weight and speed potential ?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2t...ew?usp=sharing

Link is picture of before and after !
I would be interested on how you get on with these, because sometime later this year I will most likely need to replace all 4 on my 63 plate X3 xDrive 30d M Sport with 19 staggered setup.

Since November I have been running on 18 non staggered Pirelli Sottozero series ii winter tyres. I found these very to give a softer ride with less tramlining than my summer tyres.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 09:19 AM   #21
red30xdrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 G05 M50d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_R View Post
I would be interested on how you get on with these, because sometime later this year I will most likely need to replace all 4 on my 63 plate X3 xDrive 30d M Sport with 19 staggered setup.

Since November I have been running on 18 non staggered Pirelli Sottozero series ii winter tyres. I found these very to give a softer ride with less tramlining than my summer tyres.
Only run them for 350 miles & 100 or so was on the snow last weekend . Quite a compliment ride with none of the crashing that 30 / 35 % aspect ratio tyres produce ( mine are 245 , 45 , 19 front with 275 , 40 , 19 rear ) Driving traction on snow was very good but braking was fair but well short of winter tyre grip . I ran Goodyear excellence in 18" 35 % aspect ratio on my previous car and they lasted 20K with ease .

My only experience of Efficient grip was on a works Berlingo and the wet grip was very compromised -- better than some but you could never trust it !

Last edited by red30xdrive; 01-23-2016 at 10:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 09:50 AM   #22
gIzzE
Major General
Rep

I had EfficientGrips on my ML and thought they were great, but that I suppose is the problem with giving recommendations if it isn't the same car, or even the same car with the same suspension and wheel size.

Also, they are the same load rating as the oem BMW X3 tyres and up to 168mph on the speed rating, so not sure why they would be considered not up to the task? Interesting.
Appreciate 0