BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-15-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 CB X3 35i MS; 07 BS M Coupé

Pausing/stopping iPod/iPhone Audio

I’m hoping someone can help me with this issue. Whenever I attach my iPhone 4 to my new X3 via the original iPhone cable and USB port and CD/Aux mode is selected, my iPod music begins playing immediately. I haven’t been able to figure out how to stop/pause the music. If I start another audio APP such as Pandora or MOG, the iPod will stop, but as soon as the other APP is stopped or closed the iPod starts playing again. I looked in theX3 manual but makes no mention of stopping or pausing iPod tracks.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 01:45 PM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Not sure what you mean by CD/Aux mode. When it's playing the iPod do you see the tracks on iDrive with artwork etc? Sounds like you are just streaming all of the audio output via Bluetooth and it's just outputting the sound the iPhone is outputting

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #3
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownX View Post
I’m hoping someone can help me with this issue. Whenever I attach my iPhone 4 to my new X3 via the original iPhone cable and USB port and CD/Aux mode is selected, my iPod music begins playing immediately. I haven’t been able to figure out how to stop/pause the music. If I start another audio APP such as Pandora or MOG, the iPod will stop, but as soon as the other APP is stopped or closed the iPod starts playing again. I looked in theX3 manual but makes no mention of stopping or pausing iPod tracks.
Try press the button on the CD unit......
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
Nahoa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 35i Mineral Silver/Black

Yup, that button is kind of a combo "power, mute, pause" button.
      05-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahoa View Post
Yup, that button is kind of a combo "power, mute, pause" button.
So you're saying button #6 is also the pause button? In my mind all your doing is turning the radio/cd unit off.

I'm having the same issue with Pandora via BMW Apps. There is no way to pause the music. Either turn off the radio/cd unit with button #6 or close the app.

Every time I attached my iPhone 4 to my X3 via the USB port my stored music on my phone immediately starts playing. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, did you find away to turn off this function?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 02:29 PM   #6
gareth12468
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 xDrive 28i

Garage List
2011 BMW X3  [0.00]
Quote:
So you're saying button #6 is also the pause button? In my mind all your doing is turning the radio/cd unit off.

I'm having the same issue with Pandora via BMW Apps. There is no way to pause the music. Either turn off the radio/cd unit with button #6 or close the app.

Every time I attached my iPhone 4 to my X3 via the USB port my stored music on my phone immediately starts playing. Anyone else experiencing this? If so, did you find away to turn off this function?
Yes.... That's the button.....

Press the Start/Stop button first than the radio/cd pause button.....
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
I want to know how to skip past a song that I don't want to hear (through the steering wheel). It says you can hit the rolling button on the right side of the wheel and scroll up or down but this only works for me with radio stations. I hate having to reach over and press the button next to the cd player every time I want to advance to a different song. I am missing something here?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
The head unit is never truly "off". The button really just acts as a mute for the audio entertainment source.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #9
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
I want to know how to skip past a song that I don't want to hear (through the steering wheel). It says you can hit the rolling button on the right side of the wheel and scroll up or down but this only works for me with radio stations. I hate having to reach over and press the button next to the cd player every time I want to advance to a different song. I am missing something here?
This is one function that was easier before the redesigned the steering wheel controls. But still possible, and once I get more fluent with it I might even like it better.

Using the "Scroll knob" on the right side of the wheel, simply roll it and it will display your playlist in the low center of the instrument panel. Rolling down moves down the list, up moves up. If you just want to display the list, just push in on the scroll button. To select a song, press in when it is highlighted in the list.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #10
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
The head unit is never truly "off". The button really just acts as a mute for the audio entertainment source.
This is true and annoying to me. I want an off switch, not something that pauses a track or mutes a radio station. I don't mute my television in the lounge and darken the screen before going to bed, I switch it off. I posted something about this before but got no sympathy

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 03:56 PM   #11
ChitownX
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
This is true and annoying to me. I want an off switch, not something that pauses a track or mutes a radio station. I don't mute my television in the lounge and darken the screen before going to bed, I switch it off. I posted something about this before but got no sympathy
I feel the same way. However; I also want a pause button. The owners manual shows a pause button on the Nav screen when playing videos. Why isn't there a pause button for music?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
I wouldn’t get too upset about the amp being on.
The amp has to stay on so that phone calls and warning tones can be heard.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:07 PM   #13
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I understand what you mean now. Tried listening to FStream (internet radio) on my iPhone 4 and then connecting the iPhone using the USB. The iDrive takes control and switches the iPhone to iPod mode and plays the iPod instead instead. You have to switch FStream back on again on the iPhone to get it back.

This happens because if you switch to Music - External Devices on iDrive and select the device plugged into the USB socket in the armrest, it starts playing by default. If this device is an iPhone, it's just treated like any other mp3 player or file store and starts playing mp3 that are on the iPhone which interrupts the internet radio.

This doesn't happen if you stream the audio using Bluetooth, and this isn't a problem with the standard iPhone 4 snap-in adapter which will charge quietly without trying to kick off the iPod. It's only if you use the USB socket and the iPhone isn't paired for Bluetooth audio.

This only happens if the last time you used the iDrive you left it on Music - External Devices - USB. If you leave it on radio, when you switch on again, it's still on radio and your iPhone won't interrupt it if you plug it in

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Thanks. I hadn't thought of that. I'm less annoyed now that there's a good reason for it to stay on . Perhaps a dummy off button that mutes and switches off the display screen would be a good compromise...

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:10 PM   #15
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I feel the same way. However; I also want a pause button. The owners manual shows a pause button on the Nav screen when playing videos. Why isn't there a pause button for music?
If playing CDs, mp3 etc it does pause - look at the track seconds and they'll stop when you press it. If listening to the radio it's more like a mute

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #16
pault
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 F25 35i

Quote:
If playing CDs, mp3 etc it does pause - look at the track seconds and they'll stop when you press it. If listening to the radio it's more like a mute
Really then it's a magic button Sometimes it's a pause button, other times it's a mute button.

Agree on previous comments about skipping to next track, it seemed easier on my previous E90 with the up/down buttons on the steering wheel. However, I am now getting used to it on the X3, it's a 'scroll up' and a 'click' and just as easy now.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:32 PM   #17
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harplayr View Post
Exactly. Bluetooth, Warning chimes, BMW Assist, etc. all use the audio system, so it can never be truly "off" when the car is running. It's been this way on every bimmer we've had and has never really bothered me.

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. Bluetooth, Warning chimes, BMW Assist, etc. all use the audio system, so it can never be truly "off" when the car is running. It's been this way on every bimmer we've had and has never really bothered me.
This is my first bimmer and I'm only 3 months in so I guess I'll get used to the magic button with time

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Harplayr
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X3 28i, F25

Quote:
This is my first bimmer and I'm only 3 months in so I guess I'll get used to the magic button with time
Sometimes BMW does stuff a bit differently than other cars. The double pull door open when locked is another BMW trademark. You’ll get used to it. If the car annoys you, just take it on some twisties and the smile will return.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
mhrir
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Very fast

I have found the scroll quite easy and intuitive.

The mode button on the steering wheel also pauses iPod and flash drive when switching to radio for example.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 04:56 PM   #21
Want the thrill
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X4M40i, retired ‘11 X3

Garage List
2022 X4M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
This is one function that was easier before the redesigned the steering wheel controls. But still possible, and once I get more fluent with it I might even like it better.

Using the "Scroll knob" on the right side of the wheel, simply roll it and it will display your playlist in the low center of the instrument panel. Rolling down moves down the list, up moves up. If you just want to display the list, just push in on the scroll button. To select a song, press in when it is highlighted in the list.
Mine won't display a list on the instrument panel, just the song that is currently playing shows up! Maybe I need to change something in the Idrive set up. I'll give it another go.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #22
Bustofa
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 XDrive20D SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
Mine won't display a list on the instrument panel, just the song that is currently playing shows up! Maybe I need to change something in the Idrive set up. I'll give it another go.
Will the amount of info displayed not depend on the instrument panel you have? (difference between pro nav and others.)
Appreciate 0