BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

08-31-2011, 09:12 AM   #1
drwoodsy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 28i

iPhone 4 Snap in Adapter

So my dumb question of the day is when using the snap in adapter do you get full connectivity for the phone? i.e. Don\'t pair your phone via Bluetooth? Phone was set up via bluetooth and the apps would not show up on iDrive my guess is turn Bluetooth off? Any advice?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 2011 F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoodsy View Post
So my dumb question of the day is when using the snap in adapter do you get full connectivity for the phone? i.e. Don\'t pair your phone via Bluetooth? Phone was set up via bluetooth and the apps would not show up on iDrive my guess is turn Bluetooth off? Any advice?
I assume that you're asking about 6NR (BMW Apps) and a media cradle?

The phone will still need to be paired via Bluetooth to make calls regardless of whether it's in a cradle or not (as far as I know)

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 10:40 AM   #3
drwoodsy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Thanks Sfax. Yes 6NR and BMW apps. Looks like I will have to play around with it. Also can you still connect into the USB port in the armrest whilst an iPhone is in the cradle with no conflict of devices? Still getting to grips with all the tech!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
scs-X3
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X3 35i

Only one device can be used at a time. I use the USB connection more than the cradle since I don't need to take my iPhone out of it's case.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:36 AM   #5
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwoodsy View Post
Thanks Sfax. Yes 6NR and BMW apps. Looks like I will have to play around with it. Also can you still connect into the USB port in the armrest whilst an iPhone is in the cradle with no conflict of devices? Still getting to grips with all the tech!
Yes, I have a USB flash drive permanently connected and use an iPhone 4 in the cradle. No conficts.

For BMW Apps, I think you need to download the connecteddrive iPhone app (if you haven't already). I don't have 6NR but hopefully someone that does can give you some more info. You definitely need to have the right type of cradle (media not basic) for your iPhone to use 6NR when the phone is in its cradle.

F25 xDrive20d SE __ professional multimedia package | dynamic package | climate package | 309s | xline | xenons | electric seats | folding mirrors | business speakers
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfax View Post
I assume that you're asking about 6NR (BMW Apps) and a media cradle?

The phone will still need to be paired via Bluetooth to make calls regardless of whether it's in a cradle or not (as far as I know)
+1 Connection is still via Bluetooth, regardless of the docking cradle.

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

I wouldn't recommend buying the cradly to anyone at this point. Maybe it will be more usefull in the future (but the probably out of date as it wont support the next iPhone). Unless you really, really, really need to be watching video from your iPhone skip it.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 03:38 PM   #8
KL
Sweden
Rep
Drives: X3 F25 X-drive 2.0dA - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
I wouldn't recommend buying the cradly to anyone at this point. Maybe it will be more usefull in the future (but the probably out of date as it wont support the next iPhone). Unless you really, really, really need to be watching video from your iPhone skip it.
I got the same reply from my sales rep when asking for the cradle a few months ago. It is a shame that the system is working so poorly
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 04:00 PM   #9
drwoodsy
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well I have it and it didn't cost me anything so will be a guinea pig on this and see what functionality I can get. Won't be upgrading to an iPhone 5 so not so bad.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 05:46 PM   #10
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
The BMW Dis-connected Drive feature is so far pretty disappointing overall, I agree. It took them MONTHS to get the Google Maps to the car function working for me. I sent a letter to the doofus at BMW in charge of the program. Never got a reply. That is HUGE demerits for any company.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
haldol
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 40e

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEDZEP View Post
The BMW Dis-connected Drive feature is so far pretty disappointing overall, I agree. It took them MONTHS to get the Google Maps to the car function working for me. I sent a letter to the doofus at BMW in charge of the program. Never got a reply. That is HUGE demerits for any company.
@LEDZEP. How did you worked out your Google Maps problem?
I have a problem with that. Can not send address to my car anymore. Call them and they will address this to a 'supervisor'...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2011, 07:00 AM   #12
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by haldol View Post
@LEDZEP. How did you worked out your Google Maps problem?
I have a problem with that. Can not send address to my car anymore. Call them and they will address this to a 'supervisor'...
Yeah, that is their standard line. Good luck. You basically have to keep calling them, and eventually you have to say really bad things about their mothers.

Their customer service is horrible. Like GM in the 80's. That bad.

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 02:07 AM   #13
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL View Post
I got the same reply from my sales rep when asking for the cradle a few months ago. It is a shame that the system is working so poorly
And it doesn't work with iOS5 beta, hopefully BMW will release a software upgrade, but somehow that's not likely to be a quick fix. So with iOS 5 out, a new iPhone out it's not worth it. And despite the fan the phone gets very hot in the cradle, and I doubt it improves reception much...
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #14
sfax
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
And it doesn't work with iOS5 beta, hopefully BMW will release a software upgrade, but somehow that's not likely to be a quick fix. So with iOS 5 out, a new iPhone out it's not worth it. And despite the fan the phone gets very hot in the cradle, and I doubt it improves reception much...
My cradle doesn't improve reception at all. In fact if you close the armrest, the signal drops but surely if it's using the shark fin when in the cradle, closing the armrest should make no difference? Anyway, it's at the dealer today for them to take a look. I am certain that they'll find nothing wrong and it will be a waste of time

Appreciate 0