BMW X3 Forum
BMW X3 Forum
Welcome to the ultimate BMW X3 community.
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

07-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #23
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCat View Post
right..guess I could, but really less interested in getting them knocked down as I am getting in repaired right. At this point, I am intending on getting this fixed and moving my service needs to a different dealer, that is actually closer to me anyway. (want the thrill-I am closer to Detroit, so Kzoo not an option)

Razel-are you still waiting for the parts? If they shipped from Germany last week, it may well be the same less than adequate kit that they tried on mine. The allegedly 'new and improved' fix is actually supposed to be coming from SC, not germany, but not available for 2 more weeks. You may want to clarify this with your dealer, as this TSB just was posted this week...supposedly...
Parts were ordered last week. Don't know if service adviser has the tech bulletin you heard about, but I'll ask when they want the car back in for repair. One thing that I've learned, though, is that BMW does not like "I read on the internet" statements. Kind of have to dance around how you know some things.

BMW has used plastic fuel-disconnects on some of their motorcycles for years. They crack, and naturally, it's the pressure side that cracks, spraying fuel. The company that makes the plastic ones also makes metal ones (oddly, they don't crack), but replacement by BMW was to put in plastic ones until a couple of years ago. Q:"Can't you replace them with the metal ones?" A:"BMW says the plastic is fine". Q: "You know, I've read a lot of different threads on the plastic ones failing again and no issues with the metal ones". A:"The stuff you read on the internet can't be validated".
BTDT ... So, I'll ask about the technical bulletin you heard about, but I don't have high hopes. But, I will exercise the shade a couple times before I drive off. And, there's that chance that in the time between the parts being ordered and the real fix was announced that they'll fix it the right way for me.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 01:59 PM   #24
BMW FINALLY!
Ultimate Driving Machine!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 xDrive 40i

Quote:
well, two full weeks later and I am still without my X3...

It has turned from what was to be a simple repair to needing the parts from South Carolina, to then they had to come from Germany..now the parts have supposedly been held up in US Customs...bottom line is as of today, 2 full weeks since they got my vehicle, they don't even have parts yet.

The 535i has been a nice substitute, but I MISS MY X3!!

Nobody ever responded on my first post, so I am assuming this is not a widespread issue-hope nobody else has to deal with this BS...all because of the stupid power shade.

Bad enough having to put up with this on a brand new vehicle, but add in that being in Michigan and driving my first imported car, I took a lot of good natured ribbing from friends and family when I brought this home-two weeks of driving a loaner (with the dealer's name plastered all over the rear bumper) has caused much fodder for more harrassing...reminds me of the ol saying, "with friends like these, who needs enemies"
WOW! Scary. WHat is the part? Two weeks?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #25
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my update...it ain't pretty; dealer finally got the parts in (after 1+ Week delay due to being held up by US Customs-thats another bs excuse as far as I'm concerned but whatever...) got the work done, and last Thursday night they brought my baby back! Got in it and before the salesguy left with the loaner I gave it a try..the shade was closed when he arrived, so I opened it..all good..go to close it, and....ITS STILL BROKEN!!!! Yes, after 3+ weeks of having my car, they succeeded in doing absolutely nothing. The shade did exactly the same as it had initially-only the first panel comes across, and makes a nasty clunking sound as the second panel gets hung up. amazing...

I withheld my fury..the salesman was embarrassed and apologetic-he was going to take it back but frankly, at that point I wasn't sure I wanted them to touch my car again, so he took the loaner and promised that the Service Mgr would call first thing in the morning.

Well, overnight I got the automatic "how did you like your service survey" email from BMWUSA. I figured I'd wait to see if I got the promised call before filling it out...suprise, no call...by 11 am with still no call, I went ahead and filled out the survey, and told it like it was..

Apparently those things get through, because the Service Mgr called me within the hour! Not due to the salesguy telling him to call me (apparantly he never relayed that msg, only that the sunroof was still broken..) but he was calling in part to tell me how damaging to the dealership it is for them to receive such a poor review!!! After I apologized to him for not knowing the rules in that I should have gotten the right answers from him for the survey before sending it...(yeah, right), they now are picking my car up again tomorrow morning and will again tear it apart to check what happened-if it is the same issue, as I am certain it is, they are petitioning BMW to just replace the entire sunroof, and not just the shade. If that is the case, they will reassemble and get my car back to me so I have it while the inevitable 3+ week wait for the new parts unfolds.

I am pretty concerned about having this same dealer try to get it right, and also to have my headliner and entire sunroof torn apart again, but not sure what other options I have. It isn't "Bob's BMW and surf shop"..they handle Mercedes and Porshe, so I think they are fully capable, but this is crazy...

and yes, my friends and family are having a field day with this...
How long did you have your car before this all happened?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #26
BMW FINALLY!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
My X3 made its return trip to the dealer and is back in my garage this morning, waiting again for new parts which should arrive in about 3 weeks. Apparently BMW has finally recognized this is a widespread issue and has redesigned the track system for the sunshade-exactly what the redesign is I have no idea, but they are no longer using the same parts. So for anyone that has same defect, know that as of this week there has been an internal technical service bulletin posted within BMW.

Good news is that I have my car back in the wait. Bad news is that I have no sunshade on a panarama roof during the hottest stretch of the summer..with a black interior...

On a side note, after 3 round trips to the dealer for a total of about 300 miles, they actually returned my X3 today dirty, and on EMPTY! Amazing...
Oh hell no! That wouldnt work for me!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #27
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Sun roof fixed

Parts came in for the original repair, and probably 3-day turn around. That was a Tuesday. Thursday, the technician doing the work was in Los Angeles attending a technical school session that covers ... the updated repair process for the 2011 X3 sunroof. Ok, I've got a 328 for the week and weekend. And it saves the time and mumbling that the original fix would have caused when the panels failed again. Into the third week (parts from Germany, customs issues, wrong parts) it's all done. The technician, it being his first time doing this on a customer car, took his time. I'm ok with that. When he had gotten back from school, he had a whole different list of parts to order. Including the black-textured panels. Mine are grey. That took some time, too. There's a cautionary note in the replacement document that warns that if some doohicky isn't set right, you can pop the glass and even shatter it. So, I'm sure there was some additional time moving the panels under power an inch at a time, then opening the glass the same way, followed by the reversal, closing things up. Everything is good.

I've had it for a day, but it hasn't been nearly as hot as it was the day it failed. All-in-all, I'm good. Granted, the repair was not as quick as I would have liked, but everything considered (including a new 328 to play with), I'm good to go.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2011, 11:41 PM   #28
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 20d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razel View Post
Parts came in for the original repair, and probably 3-day turn around. That was a Tuesday. Thursday, the technician doing the work was in Los Angeles attending a technical school session that covers ... the updated repair process for the 2011 X3 sunroof. Ok, I've got a 328 for the week and weekend. And it saves the time and mumbling that the original fix would have caused when the panels failed again. Into the third week (parts from Germany, customs issues, wrong parts) it's all done. The technician, it being his first time doing this on a customer car, took his time. I'm ok with that. When he had gotten back from school, he had a whole different list of parts to order. Including the black-textured panels. Mine are grey. That took some time, too. There's a cautionary note in the replacement document that warns that if some doohicky isn't set right, you can pop the glass and even shatter it. So, I'm sure there was some additional time moving the panels under power an inch at a time, then opening the glass the same way, followed by the reversal, closing things up. Everything is good. I've had it for a day, but it hasn't been nearly as hot as it was the day it failed. All-in-all, I'm good. Granted, the repair was not as quick as I would have liked, but everything considered (including a new 328 to play with), I'm good to go.
I wonder, so your sunshade is black now?
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #29
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
I wonder, so your sunshade is black now?
Well, I left out one sentence. Sorry. "That took some time, too" refers to the wait for the grey panels.

I type slower than I think ...

No issues with sun shade/glass to date.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:02 PM   #30
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, I left out one sentence. Sorry. "That took some time, too" refers to the wait for the grey panels.

I type slower than I think ...

No issues with sun shade/glass to date.
Ah ok, I was wondering as my sunshade also failed few days ago. I hope I don't have to wait that long for parts, but good to know there are updated part for this
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 01:17 PM   #31
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertech83 View Post
Ah ok, I was wondering as my sunshade also failed few days ago. I hope I don't have to wait that long for parts, but good to know there are updated part for this
Just so you know, the dealership had to send the technician working on mine to the Los Angeles corporate office for further training on just this. Apparently the mechanism is re-designed, and the initial repair procedures and parts have been changed.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 06:57 PM   #32
xDrive35i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want the thrill View Post
So sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how frustrating and angry you must be. My neighbors thought I got a job at the BMW dealer because I was always in a dealer plated car for 2 months! I had a black 3 series while I was waiting on my first X to come in. Got the X in which ended up with a dealer plate since it was missing options. While driving it, I got a flat tire and was given a silver 3 series to drive while they replaced the tire. Got back the loaner X to drive until my new one just came in. Crazy! Hope they get it right this time. At least you have another survey to hold over their heads!
I got you all beat. Seven loaners in nine months; each was a different colored 535i. My friends thought I'd reached some sort of settlement with the dealership where I'd always have a car available at the service department if I wanted one. Others thought I had quietly received an executive position at BMWNA.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 05:08 AM   #33
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just so you know, the dealership had to send the technician working on mine to the Los Angeles corporate office for further training on just this. Apparently the mechanism is re-designed, and the initial repair procedures and parts have been changed.
Thanks for the heads up. Well I hope the dealer here will be doing a good job on the repairs. Not too many X3 has been delivered in my town, and mine is the first one to have sunshade failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I finally got my car back today after 3 weeks waiting for parts and repairs.
I wonder if when the new and improved fix is available, would they have the old parts still available for order?
I'm kinda nervous operating my sunshade now
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2011, 07:57 PM   #35
Razel
Rider and driver
United_States
Rep

It's fixed according to the dealer. Use it. If it breaks again, take it back. Don't stop using something you ordered because it might break again. Shouldn't happen if they did it right, but if they replaced the parts with the same thing, I'll bet it breaks again. That's why there's a re-design.

Better to have it break under warranty.

I work for Keyser Söze
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2011, 02:00 PM   #36
powertech83
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It's fixed according to the dealer. Use it. If it breaks again, take it back. Don't stop using something you ordered because it might break again. Shouldn't happen if they did it right, but if they replaced the parts with the same thing, I'll bet it breaks again. That's why there's a re-design.

Better to have it break under warranty.
Yes you're right, if it's gonna break again, it better break under warranty
Appreciate 0